The Pressure Governor Broke…Now What???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand throttle?

Clanger,What hand throttle?If it's just the pressure govenor messin'up, yes your override will work.If it's the Electronic control module,the ONLY chance is a reboot.Since the ECM takes input from two different sources(Cab foot throttle and pump throttle),it was clever of the MFGs to remove one of our options.You might be able to engage the cruise control,or if you're lucky your override MIGHT work.But if it's in the ECM input you're SOL!Best way to check is with the engineer who built your specific vehicle.Although all are built with similar parts all can/are programmed differently along with associated wiring.If you have yet to experience one of these failures,stand by;at some point in your career you will.Have a back up plan in place.Drive by wires great until it messes up then it's not so much fun.Lot to be said for old mechanical stuff,clothespin,visegrips,would almost always get you out of a scrape.Ah,modern technology!T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 06-19-2003, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Resq14:

The common problems I have heard about typically deal with a bad pressure sensor on the governor, or a faulty circuit board.
      Exactly my point (bold added for emphasis).

I have been told that you can not incorporate a mechanical linkage throttle (the old knobs) with a newer electronic engine. When you see throttle knobs on newer trucks, they are typically electronic versions of the old mechanical throttle.
      This is correct.

Annaville's beasts have such a setup I believe
      Yes, this is the setup used for Annaville's rigs, as well as 82 Houston engine companies.

Rescue101:

If you have yet to experience one of these failures,stand by;at some point in your career you will.
      Yes, I have already had a governor fail on me in several instances. In each case it was a failure of the governor itself.

If it's just the pressure govenor messin'up, yes your override will work.If it's the Electronic control module,the ONLY chance is a reboot.
      Of course. My point is that the vast majority of "governor failures" will be with the governors themselves, therefore the override would successfully overcome each of these situations.

As Resq14 points out, if it is a voltage issue, you probably won't be able to run the engine at all. If it is an ECM issue, the "stepping on the gas" method definitely won't work, especially seeing as how the pedal is locked out in pump mode on newer rigs. You're only chance in this situation would be some fluke with the manual pump engage override and the like.

The manual override/throttle/relief valve setup is by far the safest, fastest, sanest, and most efficient protection, and will probably save you in the vast majority of pump control failures.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X