This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coverage area

If you respond to a call and you find its not within your response area do you tell dispatch to notify the proper department, or do you just take it as your own and not say anything about it?

If someone gets paged for a call thats in your response area what do you do? (a) wait for that department to notify dispatch of the mistake. (b) get on the radio in the middle of there response and start screaming to page your department because its your call.

1. Take it but ask dispatch to also send the proper department.

2. Advise dispatch we'll be responding also and send tones if necessary. No screaming or cancelling already incoming companies like some others in our area do.
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Comment

Our dept runs into this quite frequently.

1. Take the call. Once you realize it is not in your response area, notify dispatch. The problem we have is, even when advised there is no emergency, you will hear sirens, see lights, and watch every rig the other dept has start lining up. Ridiculous.

2. If it is something minor, most of the time we let them take care of it. We will call dispatch when it is over and advise them of the mistake. If neccessary, we will file a complaint but not very often.

Mistakes will happen and we feel that as long as someone is there to help citizen Joe, that is what matters most. What ticks us off is when it is an obvious call...seems favoritism is shown on more than one occasion.
      Begin with the end in mind.

Be safe out there!!

Comment

We run over the line into neighboring districts quite frenquently, due to the fact that our rural area produces bad locations of incidents from callers.

Once we realize that the call is out of our area, we continue response and have dispatch notify the correct department.

The same applies for our neighbors: they call us if they end up responding into our district.

So far, nobody has ever complained: I'll take the extra help every time.
        Bryan Beall
        Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Comment

We continue the response and notify dispatch that we are no longer in our territory and advise dispatching the correct company.

Regarding a mistake with other companies responding into our area, if we catch it and it is minor we will usually let them take it. If it is a little bigger we will roll and notify dispatch, No point screaming and canceling a company if they are responding already.
          Shawn M. Cecula
          Firefighter
          IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

We will respond outside of our area very frequently on life safty calls because we are surouned by federal and state land but be don't go for fires of any sort.
            Jesse

Comment

Good post. I don't know if there is any way to correct these types of problems.
              1. I prefer to, at the least, let the appropriate jurisdiction know that the call is theirs. This gives them the chance to respond, or to let us handle. If they choose to respond we are there to provide support and assist any way we can. Of course if there is a life threatening emergency we would still notify them, but take appropriate action.

2. I don't do anything. I'll wait until we are notified, this doesn't mean it doesn't p*ss me off. What really p*sses me off is if its a "gomer" call(fender bender with insurance pains) we will be notified and requested, but if its a good run (fatal MVA) you don't hear a word.
              K.A. Dempsey
              [email protected]
              "If you want to make God laugh, tell him what you are doing tomorrow"

Comment

We run into this on occasion with cell-phone calls on the highway. People going through have no idea what town they're in. So we end up with a lot of calls that are on one side of us or the other. The only way we can determine if they're our call or not is to find them, so since we're there already, we take the call. We always notify the town the call is in though, for at least a fire officer from that town to come out and fill out a report. To date, we haven't had a call (in my limited experience) that's been anything more than a fender-bender, so there hasn't really been much of an issue.

On a semi-related note about highway calls from cell phones, isn't it funny how every MVA call you get from a cell phone is exagerrated 100 times? Call comes in as a terrible accident, bodies everywhere, entrapment with fire, the works. We get there, it's a lady leaning on her car with a blown radiator hose.

Andy

Comment

1. help those we can help, and determine political/territory issues later.
                  2. if we can respond quicker, which may be hard because "they" are already on the road, we go. otherwise, tell them that if they need us, yell. then get with disp. to determine how error in assignment was made (you may be logged as "off duty" or otherwise unavailable).

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X