The Rabbit Tool Broke...Now What????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "Power Jamb"

I totally agree with E229LT, conventional forcible entry skills are unfortunately becoming a lost art. In our city, the number of vacant buildings, which we used to use to practice these skills, are dwindling. Working fire incidents are also down, so we don't get to practice these skills on the fire ground quite as often. And, yes, the Rabbit Tool (we now mostly use the Hydra-Ram, which is lighter and easier to operate) has made conventional forcible entry unneccessary in most instances. But, when it is needed, members need to be up to speed on the techniques involved. Our department has attempted to address these issues by purchasing and installing an amazingly realistic and usefull device known as the "Power Jamb" on the entry doors of our burn building and on the stairway bulkhead door on our roof ventilation training building. The Power Jamb is a spring loaded steel unit which is mounted in a morticed cutout in both inward and outward opening doors (commercial type steel doors work the best) with an adjustable steel deadbolt. This device allows members to set the fork of the halligan into the jamb to force inward opening doors, and the adze end to be set to force outward opening doors, without dammaging the doors themselves. The steel deadbolt can also be replaced by a wooden dowel in order to train with the rabbit tool or hydra ram on inward opening doors. This unit allows us to conduct realistic training in a controlled environment, and has proven to be very benneficial. More information on this unit can be found at www.powerjamb.com.
    Last edited by Ladders3; 06-14-2003, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Hey firenresq77-

My bad!!!!. I was on a roll and didn't realize what I was saying. Thanks for the correction.

Comment

And in the State of Maine,the "new" FF1 is 220 hrs.The bar has been raised.T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by stugats
          "The aerial is blocked out- how do I get to the roof"?

...using an adjoining building is the best way...if not, use the rear fire escape, but watch for the obvious hazards of venting fire and broken rungs...

Ummm, could'nt you use a ground ladder to get to the roof as well as the others. Here in Winston, we don't have fire escapes and no building touch another one. So its, either ground ladders or interior
          stairs. I personally would'nt be doing either on a fire ground but its the only options if your aerial is out of reach.
          No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X