Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volunteer FD in the Bronx?

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...4&sectionId=46

In reading the above-referenced article, I find that I am surprised to learn that there are volunteer fire departments operating in the Bronx. Excuse my ignorance, but I thought that the Bronx was part of New York City, and was served by the NYPD. Even in the article they refer to a FDNY inspector. What's the deal here? Understand that I'm not being political, critical, or judgemental - I just don't understand the politics of this. Can someone fill me in on this situation?

There are a few

They have several volunteer companys in the City of New York . They operate in conjuction with the FDNY and serve the communitys in which they live in.
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Comment

Isnt there 9 or 10 volunteer companies down there? I am glad that there are, and I dont know what to think. I think both sides have to just realize whats happening, and this fire company should start looking for a new home even if they are going to dispute it, just incase.

Its just too bad...
      Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
      Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
      Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Comment

There are 10 volunteer departments in the FDNY area. This is the information I have gathered... I guess this makes me "buffy"!

Aviation Hose Co.3

Borough: Bronx
        Address: 1820 Gildersleeve Ave.
        Closest FDNY Unit: E96 & TL94
        -----------
        Edgewater Park Hose Company No.1

Borough: Bronx
        Address: Main St @ Adee Dr "The Mansion @ Edgewater Park"
        Closest FDNY Unit: E72 & SAT2
        -----------
        West Hamilton Beach VFD

Borough: Queens (within site of JFK Airport)
        Address: 102-33 Davenport Court
        Closest FDNY Unit: E331 & T173
        -----------
        Broad Channel VFD

Borough: Queens (on Broad Channel Island)
        Address: 15 Noel Rd
        Closest FDNY Unit: E266 & BC47
        -----------
        Roxbury VFD

Borough: Queens
        Address: 42 State Rd.
        Closest FDNY Unit: E329
        -----------
        Rockaway Point VFD

Address: 204-26 Rockaway Point Blvd.
        -----------
        Point Breeze VFD

Address: 29 Point Breeze Ave.
        -----------
        Gerritsen Beach Fire Volunteers, Inc.

Borough: Brooklyn
        Address: 52 Seba Ave.
        Closest FDNY Unit: E321
        -----------
        Oceanic Hook & Ladder Co.1

Borough: Staten Island
        Address: 4010 Victory Blvd.
        Closest FDNY Unit:E154
        -----------
        Richmond Engine Co.1

Borough: Staten Island
        Address: 3664 Richmond Rd.
        Closest FDNY Unit: E165
        -----------
        Last edited by sconfire; 06-10-2003, 12:26 PM.
        Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
        North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
        "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
        www.legacyofheroes.org
        www.firehistory.org
        www.sconfire.com

Comment

Learn something new every day! Thanks, guys!

Comment

Their website is:

www.aviation3.com

This was the only volunteer company on site and participating in rescue operations at the World Trade Center during the collapse. From what I could gather, they didn't lose any personnel, but did sustain heavy damage to an engine, which has since been repaired/refurbished through donations. They are also currently raising funds for a new building. I just mailed a donation the other day, in fact.

Comment

This information is taken from the Volunteer Fireman's Association of the City of New York website. I think Aviation has pictures of their unit before and after but do not hold me to that.
              -------------

The Volunteer Fire Departments Among The First To Respond
              September 11, 2001

At 0847 hours on September 11, 2001 the New York City Fire Department transmitted Manhattan box 8087 for a plane crash at The World Trade Center. Within minutes of the tragedy unfolding, many Volunteer Fire Companies were requested to respond. They did.

Arriving prior to the collapse of the first tower, members of Aviation Volunteer Fire Department (Bronx), Broad Channel Volunteer Fire Department (Queens) and Richmond Volunteer Fire Department (Staten Island) all converged on the scene and began assisting in rescue and emergency medical services.

For the next two days, all ten Volunteer fire companies were staffed in New York City firehouses and provided additional EMS. The City's resources were spread thin due to the rescue activities at Ground Zero.

In the aftermath, Aviation’s Fire Engine was destroyed, Broad Channel’s ambulance was completely crushed, and several volunteer firefighters, although very lucky to have escaped, were seriously injured. These brave firefighters are expected to make a full recovery.

NOTE: I do know that this was written prior to Aviation getting their truck repaired. I think for awhile it did not look real good. Great job guys for getting her back on her feet!
              --------------
              Last edited by sconfire; 06-10-2003, 03:47 PM.

www.legacyofheroes.org
              www.firehistory.org
              www.sconfire.com

Comment

Voling in NYC

I actually thought there was 11, but maybe your right, I will have to check my FDNY Refrence Manual when I get home.

My uncle is retired from FDNY living on the beach in Breezy Point, Far Rockaway, NY. There are many FDNY members who live in this gated comunity, many of which I have talked to. Two of the above volunteer companies (Point Breeze & Far Rockaway) provide fire protection to this gated community, along with FDNY companies, 329 Engine being the first due Engine company from FDNY.

I am not going to get into a vol-vs-career debate other than saying that things are different in New York City, even before 9/11. FDNY Firefighters respect volunteer firefighters and understand why they do it for free. If your a vol visiting NYC and you stop by a FDNY station they will treat you like a brother. This is why the concept of having some volunteer fire companies in NYC works. Most operate on the same channels as FDNY so that radio communications is not an issue.
                Chris Shields
                Lieutenant / EMT
                Haz-Mat Technician
                East Syracuse Fire Dept
                Onondaga County, NY

Comment

Chris,
                  The 11th company you talk of may be that fire boat company that was on or near City Island. My understanding is that they have since been disbanded. The information I posted today is part FDNY reference manual and part gathered information.

I hope this helps...

Damn I am feeling buffy today!
                  Last edited by sconfire; 06-10-2003, 11:40 PM.

www.legacyofheroes.org
                  www.firehistory.org
                  www.sconfire.com

Comment

Anybody know why Aviation has such a adversarial relationship with this Homeowner's Association?

Usually you'd think they'd be happy to have more fire protection.

What's the history here?

Comment

My bet would be $$$$$$$ Property that could be sold/rented as opposed to a FH for free.
                      "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

"Arriving prior to the collapse of the first tower, members of Aviation Volunteer Fire Department (Bronx), Broad Channel Volunteer Fire Department (Queens) and Richmond Volunteer Fire Department (Staten Island) all converged on the scene and began assisting in rescue and emergency medical services."

My apologies to Broad Channel and Richmond...I thought I read that Aviation was the only one there pre-collapse.

My bad...

Comment

If I remember my history correctly, these companies are the remnants of the original volunteer system that pre-dated the FDNY. They are very well respected in the world of fire and see as much action as the FDNY does.

If I am not mistaken, I think there is still one Salvage company in operation their as well. It is supposed to be the last one funded and staffed entirely by the insurance industry. I believe it is or was, called the New York Fire Patrol. I don't know very much about it though. It may not even be around anymore.
                          IACOJ Military Division
                          NM Office
                          ------------------------------------
                          "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Comment

With the exception of the Staten Island companies, they're all post-FDNY creations.

Most, if not all of those, date from the 1920s, an era the city was growing faster than the FDNY could expand. Numerous volunteer departments where created to protect the outskirts of the city, and most disbanded with a few decades as FDNY improved their coverage.

It is my understanding the two Staten Island companies pre-date the merger of Richmond (Staten Island) into the city, and they continued their existence after FDNY took over the territory but FDNY felt the area those two protected was still too rural for full-time coverage. From past discussions on this, my understanding is those two Staten Island companies are the only ones officially on FDNY Alarm Cards. The others simply co-respond with FDNY in their neighborhoods.

FDNY itself had volunteers until relatively recently through their Auxiliary program. Actually, they may still have some kicking around but I don't think they're recruiting actively anymore. (Used to be a bigger program -- Francis Brannigan was one before he joined the Navy!)

New York Fire Patrol is still around with 3 companies -- http://www.nybfu.org/firepatrol.htm
                            IACOJ Canine Officer
                            20/50

Comment

Thanks for the info! Glad to see someone who knows his history. I don't know too much about things in the NY area. Good to see the Fire Patrol is still around.
                              IACOJ Military Division
                              NM Office
                              ------------------------------------
                              "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X