Volunteer FD in the Bronx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vol. FD's in NYC.

One FACT must be made VERY CLEAR in this thread. Not one of the Volunteer Fire Companies in NYC (i.e., those listed in an above post) have the legal right to exist and/or provide fire protection in the City of New York or the State of New York. None of these aforementioned volunteer fire companies are part of FDNY or any other agency of the City of New York... None of the aforementioned volunteer companies are "Fire Districts" as defined under New York State Law... and none of the aforementioned volunteer fire companies have a contract with the City of New York to provide fire protection services.

None of the aforementioned volunteer fire companies are recognized by the New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control (OFPC). That is the agency that governs firefighting agencies in the State of New York.

None of the aforemetioned volunteer fire companies file Basic Fire Incident Reports (BFIRs) with OFPC... but, BFIRs are required for every call from every other LEGAL firefighting agency in the State of New York.

The politicians have looked the other way for decades. Some politicians even promote these "illegal" volunteer fire companies. Ya know... They get their photo op with the fire chief... They hand off a check... etc.

Not too long ago... One of the aforementioned volunteer fire companies even had a LODD (cardiac) in which it was determined that the fire company didn't have VFBL coverage. The only reason that the claim was paid was because the City of New York failed to appear at any hearings, and a summary judgement was made against it.

So, when you hear anything about a volunteer fire company in the Bronx (or anywhere in New York City)... just remember that these volunteer fire companies have no "legal" right to exist.

Comment

Why are you getting your blood pressure so amped up over a 4 year old thread?

Comment

Originally posted by KnightnPBIArmor View Post
        Just a troll... Leave it alone and it will wander off...
        "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
        sigpic
        The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

His membership application was voted down.
          "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

i did not know about volunteer in Bronx,i used to chat with a man who is career in Bronx,engine company 61,near co op.

interesting lesson of history for me.
            "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Comment

i lived in staten island for 18yrs and 4 months and i have never heard of the richmond road VFD...i have heard of the oceanic and i know exactly where it is but the richmond road...i just dont know

Rob

Comment

Here is "why..." Fire company squanders $500G in 9/11 money

Here is why...

Fire company squanders $500G in 9/11 money

BY ROBERT GEARTY
                DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
                Sunday, July 29th 2007, 4:00 AM

A truck damaged on 9/11, which was then fixed for $60,000, rots in the weeds.

In the days and months after 9/11, more than $530,000 in donations poured in to the Aviation Volunteer Fire Co. of the Bronx after its truck was damaged in the terrorist attacks.

Goldman Sachs donated a new fire truck that cost $164,000. The Franconia Volunteer Fire Department in Virginia donated a used fire truck. TD Waterhouse donated $40,000 to help pay for the repair of the truck damaged near the World Trade Center.

A Manhattan resident who did not want to be identified gave $36,000 to help buy a used ambulance. The East Brentwood Fire Department on Long Island donated a second used ambulance.

Two players on the Knicks, Charlie Ward and Shandon Anderson, gave $5,000 each. And local schoolchildren dug into their piggy banks to donate tens of thousands of nickels and dimes.

Today, the small Bronx fire department is broke -- with little to show for the money or how it all disappeared, a Daily News investigation shows.

"It's not a stupid question to ask, 'You guys had almost $500,000 in the bank and all of sudden you sold everything?'" said Aviation Fire Chief William Rivera, 25.

It is a question that does not have an obviously satisfactory answer.

In an interview with The News, Rivera insisted he had not used any of the money to support a nightclub he opened on Westchester Ave. in 2002 or a papaya stand he opened in Parkchester in 2004.

Read Complete Article at Daily News: Fire company squanders $500G in 9/11 money

Comment

Just doing "the right thing."

Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
                  Just a troll... Leave it alone and it will wander off...
                  I'm not a troll... I'm a volunteer firefighter who is doing the right thing.

There are laws, policies, and procedures that legal volunteer fire companies and legal volunteer firefighters have to live by... And, these 10 "volunteer fire companies" put the rest of us in jeopardy... both physically and in the media.

Comment

Not.

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
                    His membership application was voted down.
                    Not. I've served throughout many ranks from lieutenant, to captain, to assistant chief. I'm a member of FASNY, NYSAFC, HVVFA, HMVFA, and a director of my local county VFA.

Comment

What I get for a visit on a boring Saturday night here...

One FACT must be made VERY CLEAR in this thread. Not one of the Volunteer Fire Companies in NYC (i.e., those listed in an above post) have the legal right to exist and/or provide fire protection in the City of New York or the State of New York

This statement is explicitly contradicted by official information on the City of New York's own website -- http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/hi..._service.shtml

"Richmond became a part of the greater City of New York in 1898. No change in the volunteer status took place, except for nominal supervision, until 1905 when the first group of volunteers was disbanded and replaced by paid units. More paid companies were installed in 1915, 1928, 1932 and 1937, when all but two volunteer companies were disbanded. These two were the only legal volunteer companies still active in the City of New York."

That refers to Richmond & Oceanic, which were on the list of 10. A number of other reasonably authorative looking references continue to list those two as officially recognized by FDNY, such as http://www.volunteersolutions.org/uw...g/3372461.html ,"We are one of two [volunteer] Fire Depts in NYC that is dispatched by the FDNY.*"

Accuracy is important, and by screwing up on that fact, a lot of your other statements are incorrect as well.

Oh, and for a grammatical correction,

BFIRs are required for every call from every other LEGAL firefighting agency in the State of New York.

By putting in "other" you have implied the 10 companies are in fact legal agencies, just that they are not submitting required paperwork.

Oh well, enough with the knuckleheads here. See y'all in another month or so!

* -- and yes, the grammar at that site drove me up the wall, too.
                      Last edited by Dalmatian190; 08-04-2007, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FDFPLT View Post
                        Not. I've served throughout many ranks from lieutenant, to captain, to assistant chief. I'm a member of FASNY, NYSAFC, HVVFA, HMVFA, and a director of my local county VFA.

wgafra?
                        A tip of the leather for the first person to figure this out!
                        ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                        Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

FASNY - Firefighters Association of the State of New York
                          NYSAFC - New York State Association of Fire Chiefs
                          HVVFA - Hudson Valley Volunteer Firefighters Assocation
                          HMVFA - Hudson Mohawk Volunteer Firefigthers Association, I beleive

VFA - Volunteer Firefighters Association (in NY, most counties have one)

I used to volunteer in upstate NY .. all you have to do is pay yearly dues to any of these organizations.
                          Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
                            FASNY - Firefighters Association of the State of New York
                            NYSAFC - New York State Association of Fire Chiefs
                            HVVFA - Hudson Valley Volunteer Firefighters Assocation
                            HMVFA - Hudson Mohawk Volunteer Firefigthers Association, I beleive

VFA - Volunteer Firefighters Association (in NY, most counties have one)

I used to volunteer in upstate NY .. all you have to do is pay yearly dues to any of these organizations.
                            Wrong acronym!
                            ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                            Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

HMVFA - Hudson - Mohawk Valley Firefighters Association

It was 2 AM when I typed it, and I haven't been active in that area in 20 plus years. It cam e to me after I went to bed.

I was never a member of that organization.
                              Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
                                HMVFA - Hudson - Mohawk Valley Firefighters Association

It was 2 AM when I typed it, and I haven't been active in that area in 20 plus years. It cam e to me after I went to bed.

I was never a member of that organization.
                                i think hes referring to the 'wgafra' acronym.

....hmm....whackers get a fire-rescue acronym!! woohoo i failed!!!
                                First in, Last out, nobody left behind.....

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X