X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying a new medium duty rescue truck

We are beginning the committee process of buying
    a medium duty rescue truck. I would like any input
    on the different manufacturers, that anyone has to offer. I'm looking for the good, and the bad.

My dept is nearing the end of the same process. we have interviewed several companies and heres just a few of my personal feelings.

Rescue 1- the best but the most expensive,everything on the plans will be the most expensive and some of the sales guys cant see that when u tell them ur budget that does not mean u have an extra 30k to spend.

KME- very nice units, very willing to work with small dept, and good quality.

Pierce- good selection and a nice varity of options and directions to go with the truck. but include factory visit into quote so watch out for that and u can save some money.

Central States- if ur on a tight budget and dont want a POS they do very well. can come up with very realistic prices and are improving on some of their past work(selling better doors and work as standard)

once again these are just my opinons and have nothing to do with anything but my personal impressions of the companies/salespersonnel that i have seen. good luck with the truck
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Comment

Two excellent stainless steel body builders are: RD Murray of Hamburg N.Y. and Saulsbury Fire & Rescue of Tully N.Y.

Comment

okay I'm not an EMT but my experience with Pierce is awesome.(I'm not a salesman of Pierce) You can't go wrong with a Pierce.We got a Pierce fire truck. I imagine there quality as good in the ambulances as the fire trucks. There's a department that bought a new fire truck(which isn't a Pierce) and kept the old Pierce. We went to a fire on mutial aid after they just put the new truck into service. They took the Pierce and another older truck(the new truck sat at the station . I asked the guy that always drives the Pierce why didn't he bring the new truck. He said "It's a nice truck but I don't like it as much as the Pierce."

Comment

My best advice is to spec them all out and go with what you feel is comfortable and will work for your dept. Every fire apparatus make has its own little quirks. Pierce, ours have rust problems. From minor to severe. And I'm talking the oldest was built in 89. RD Murray, getting maintenance was a chore, had an electrical problem that another apparatus repair company notified us of a recall from nearly a year ago. E-ones, have had experiences with electrical problems. Sutphen, don't let me even start. We don't have one but a neighboring dept. does and had a ton of problems for the 1st 6 months. Including an intake valve that was piped wrong (it was listed as test when it left the factory).
          As far as my preference, I also like Salsbury, they seem to take a beating. And also E-one does put out nice options for rescues also. But its like I said, they all have their own little go wrong stories.

--------------------------------------------------
          The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

Comment

Pierce tends to make quality apparatus but one often overlooked manufacturer is svi out of Loveland, Colorado, who make quality rescues and pretty much that's all they make.

Excellent service, staff and product.

Comment

Old Chief, I agree with ALSfirefighter that you need to consider all manufacturers that will meet your specifications. The important thing to remember is write a specification that meets the departments'needs. Some manufacturers will try to convince a department on what they build is what the department really needs. Also two very important parts of a specification are the service end and having the manufacturers proposals written in the same order as your specifications. Makes it easy to compare your spec to each of their proposals and to one proposal to another.

Comment

Old Chief:

Write a detailed "PERFORMANCE SPECIFICATION" and hold everyone to the specification. If you are looking for a specicaized "medium duty" rescue truck, deal with companies that specialize in that area.

All of the companies listed above are capable of building a rescue but two listed above do a superior job.

Salsbury

or

SVI Trucks (www.svitrucks.com)

Good Luck

Comment

We own at 1994 International 4700/Marion 14' Walk-In Rescue, aluminum. Minimal problems with either body or chassis. As is usual never thought we'd fill it, but today we could easily go to an 18'. Aside from the usual (Jaws/Ram, EMS, cribbing, assorted hand tools, absorbant pads/booms, SCBA's, etc) also carries a 6 bottle 4500 cascade, 10kw PTO generator with 2 fixed and 2 removable tripod floods. It's the workhorse that goes out the door on every call.
                  In Arduis Fidelis
                  Faithful in Adversity

Comment

Make sure that you include in your specs that only bidders meeting the specs will be considered.

Do not award on low bid only. We are just starting the process for a rescue ourselves and based on past experience you will probably have some bidders with exceptions to the specs. You have to evualate the exceptions and determine if they are acceptable.

The last structure engine that we bid had five bidders. Four of the five met the spec with some minor exceptions. The low bidder had two pages of major exceptions and argued that the truck could not be built to spec. They did not get the bid. The truck was not a custom design but a stock unit that most of the major manufacturers build with a front trash line and a rear intake added. It seemed odd that four of five could meet the spec and one couldn't. I guess it was a case of our way or no way on their part.

Comment

All you have to say is Rescue, the only name that comes to mind is Saulsbury Fire in Tully NY. I think they build the best of the best. All the rescue's in my county were built by saulsbury and they keep going back for more. That just my opinion. Check out these web site to look at the rescues in my county. www.lvfd1.com www.mvfd.com www.hvfd7.com www.bdvfd.org Check them out, They are all Heay duty rescue squads but you can get the idea.

Comment

You might also want to look into Summit Fire Apparatus. Rescue rigs are the backbone of their business and they build a nice unit.
                        Cincinnati F.D. History Site
                        Society for the Preservation & Appreciation of Antique Fire Apparatus in America
                        Youngstown Fire Forums - 40,000+ photos of Apparatus, Fire Scenes, etc.

Comment

You may want to check out Toyne as well. web page We have two trucks made by them and are considering another. Their service has been good and we are very happy with how they have turned out. One of ours is our first out pumper and the other is a 4x4 that we had them put a custom box on with pump, tank, generator/lights, and all of the boxes we will need for jaws, cribbing, and other incidentals. check them out as a neighboring department has a medium rescue from them and it looks good.

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: latigo ]

"Illigitimi Non Carborundum"

"The views expressed by me are solely my own, and in no way reflect the views of any organization which I belong to."

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X