This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory Overtime Shifts

Anybody have to do overtime shifts? I need to find some departments that have their people pull extra shifts at overtime rate instead of hiring more people. I heard of some departments that make it mandatory. I want to know how your staffs sold the idea to your city/town councils. Does it save money? Do people get burned out? If our council won't give us more people then maybe the chief can sell them on option #2. We just need 4 man engine companies.

If we drop below minimum staffing levels for firefighters and officers due to vacation. personal days and sick days, overtime is required to fill out the shift. Our overtime system is based on hours, a new firefighter gets assessed the average high hours excluding the hourts of firefighters and offciers with specialized jobs.

The only time someone is forced to stay is if everybody refuses the overtime, the person with the low hours has to remain on duty. For me, a ten hour day OT tour is worth $474.90, a night tour is $664.98 (Captain's rates with EMT and educational incentives)...do the math and you'll see that most jakes will work an OT tour when offered!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Well it depends on what you consider OT. Being on the 24/48 we all have to work OT. The only problem is that its half time OT. When we are called in for OT thats our true overtime rate. If you need info on FLSA firefighter wages I am sure there are plenty of ppl here that know more than I do.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X