Personal gear - any preferences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal gear - any preferences?

Do any of you purchase your own gear, rather than take whats given to you from the firehouse? I'm interested in a broad range of answers. Everything from boots to helmets, and turnout gear to tools... are there certain items that are better to be purchased outright? I'm assuming boots are probably on that list, but what else do you feel should be your own?

Haix leather bunker boots,best boots I ever had before they got stolen.

Comment

I am a big fan of traditional style helmets!! Most departments wear the 660's or the 770's. Metro's. The traditionals are a little heavier but I feel they are safer and lets face it they look better too!! I am also a huge fan of leather boots!! Leathers (if sized right) are more comfortable and are not as prone to holes. But you have to take care of them. Both of these items are costly so the choice is up to you.

Comment

I take what is given to me at the house, but I do keep my own gear in my truck.. Id like a set of bristol gear but I dont have the money.. Right now I have a set of Bodyguard Bunkers, Pro-warrington boots, My NEW MP Ben Plus Helmet, and a pair of Fire Dex Gloves.. Oh... Cant forget the Galls Bib..

Comment

In my situation, the department provides the coat, pants and helmet. The rest of the gear we purchase from our uniform allowance. Some of us use our own (leather) helmets also. I like this arrangement, because I can purchase stuff that I prefer, trust, or that just plain fits me best rather than having to use what could be not as comfortable or be the "low bid" item of the week since budgets are always tight.
          Mark
          Firefighter / Paramedic
          IAFF Local 10

Comment

Bristol, hands down the lightest, most flexible, comfortable gear I have ever worn. I have 2 sets, one at the volly house and one for teaching. Our stuff is Boston spec and we have not had one complaint about this gear since we switched to it 3 years ago.

My career FD use Janesville, I think it is called combat. Ummm...bulky, heavy, and not nearly as flexible as the Bristol.

My helmets of choice...volly house: Sam Houston leather, career: we can buy plastic traditionals if we wish but I use my salad bowl Cairns 660, teaching is a Ben Franklin 2.

Hoods, not brand specific, but I prefer a multiple layer pbi kevlar. I got burned wearing a single layer hood and just won't wear them anymore.

Gloves, I just try them on til I find a brand that feels right and I buy them.

Boots, LOVE my leather Black Diamonds.

Everything is of course NFPA approved.

Take care and stay safe,

FyredUp
            Crazy, but that's how it goes
            Millions of people living as foes
            Maybe it's not too late
            To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Thank you all for the replys. Do most of you have places near you that sell firefighting equipment, or do you order your stuff from places like Galls?

Comment

All local dealers....
                Crazy, but that's how it goes
                Millions of people living as foes
                Maybe it's not too late
                To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

At my dept. we pay 1/2 for our gear, almost everyone gets Morning Pride, after the comments above I wanna check out Bristol though. We have a dealer about 38 miles away he does all the travelling, comes to the hall to measure and take orders etc. Agree about the leather boots, but the shoe fit Rubber black diamonds aren't bad and alot less $$$$$$$. Helmets..... despite all the jokes and comments about fighter pilot, Maverick etc. I absolutly am happy with my Pacific F7, lighter (much, Much lighter than leather), better range of motion for head and neck, than traditional style helmets, esp. when in SCBA, you can almost look straight up!!!!! I feel the kevelar is better protection, too, built in flashlight holder, and protected face shield are great too, take a minute and check them out Good luck with your search.
                  (should now be CharlieRFD,past,Pres.), but I've had this screen name for so long, I'm keeping it..., besides I'm Deputy Chief now.
                  BE SAFE OUT THERE
                  NEVER FORGET
                  GOD BLESS THE 343 AND 60, MAY GOD GRANT HIS PEACE TO THEIR LOVED ONES.
                  IACOJ
                  F.O.O.P.

Comment

I have been Researchinf Bristol and found that the cheapest around is Ed Lyons here in stoughton, MASS... Heres the website.

www.edlyonsfire.com/

1080 for the set

Comment

I have a Firestore Truckie Belt which I carry my dept issue gloves and a Pelican Pocket Sabrelight and 2 wedge-its on a caribiner.

I have my N6 with quick clips for my ESS Xtricator goggles(in a nomexbag in my coat) I carry a cheap-o multi tool, trauma shears, leather extrication gloves, folding spanner, 12ft loop of 1/2" webbing, 20' of 3/8 Rock n Rescue rope w/ 2 CMC self locking Biners, Morning Pride Nomex hood, Pro Warrington Leather boots, Cold Steel ER1 knife, 2 bic pens, And a 22" Mini Halligan. Along with Dept issued Quest Bunkers
                      AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Comment

Have my own Trad. style Lion helmet, blue.

Hate my 17 year old gear, its bulky, stiff and the zippers dont work right, but its all the city had that fit me.

My own boots, I got to get a new pair, size 11 foot doesn't fit in a 10 boot anymore.( I hate rubber boots)

Got a 22 dollar pair of fire gloves out of galls, and some mechanix gloves, both are comfortable.
                        No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Comment

Do you guys have some links to other on-line companies that sell this stuff? All I really know about are Galls, and EMP. Thank you all for the replies...

Comment

locating gear

For the helmet I mentioned above type in PacificHelmets and do a search, I was impressed with some comments above about the Bristol turnout gear, but you can't view anything on line, but did find an 1-800 # and talked with pleasnat people who promised to get info right out via slow mail, waiting to see, but sounds good.
                            (should now be CharlieRFD,past,Pres.), but I've had this screen name for so long, I'm keeping it..., besides I'm Deputy Chief now.
                            BE SAFE OUT THERE
                            NEVER FORGET
                            GOD BLESS THE 343 AND 60, MAY GOD GRANT HIS PEACE TO THEIR LOVED ONES.
                            IACOJ
                            F.O.O.P.

Comment

when i first joined my dept over 10 years ago i used what was issued to me. when i rejoined after a brief leave of absence i got my own gear. i started with some PBI gear ( i can't recall the brand) that was used and wore that until i recently retired it. i just bought some janesville body guard advance gear today and ordered some leather boots. i bought a traditional style paul conway last christmas and won't go back to the modern style helmets (no offense to those that prefer them).

when someone joins my dept there are certain pieces of equipment that i recommend they buy themselves such as: gloves, hood, boots and little things like flashlights, leatherman type tools. most of these items are cheaper and easier to replace then a coat or pair of pants. this is what we recommend but we try to outfit everyone with what we can.
                              NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
                              IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X