Minitor 4 Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minitor 4 Problem

Has anyone else had a problem with the Minitor 4 pager? My company has been having problems with the pager losing the frequencies and all programming?

If so, Does anyone know why this happens?

If it wasn't for the fact that their isn't anything else on low band to buy new as a pager, I wouldn't touch those things. Some people have no problems at all and some people get a batch that is total junk. They are not concistant. Good Luck.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Please Kennwood come out with a pager !!!!!!!!!

I am on my 6th that is SIX min III's that has been replaced I however have a Min I from 1980 something that works every time as long as the wife does not unplug the charger to plug the sweeper in.

Comment

All of the departments in our county "upgraded" from Minitor IIIs to IV's over the past 12-18 months. The majority of the feedback has been positive, but when you're replacing something as unreliable as the Minitor III, a tin can and string would be an upgrade....

The one complaint that is standard now with the IV's is that the volume nob gets too easy to turn, and may even turn the pager 'off' before it clicks to the off position, if you turn the volume too far down... According to our dispatch center, Motorola's answer is "don't turn the volume down".... Are they better than the III's? Yes. We don't miss pages any more, and I sure don't miss sleeping with my pager 'open' to listen for my tones in case the pager didn't alert. Is it perfect? No. Is it livable? Yep.
        Volunteer/Paid on Call/Full time - we're all professionals. Be careful and stay safe.

Comment

Through my own trial and error, I believe both the III’s and IV’s start to develop problems as the batteries near end of life. The instructions with the pagers suggest 90 days use on the batteries, with “average use”. I’m sure “average use” takes on many variations as to how long you use the scan mode, monitor mode or just let it sit until you get an alert. I think the minitors get “inconsistent” performance, as the batteries need replacement. The fact that we really don’t know what “average use” is explains why some people might experience problems after two months while others might start to see problems after six months, or may replace the batteries before they have problems. By “inconsistent” performance I mean missed alerts.
          Like I said, this is just an observation from my own experience. I would be interested in hearing any comments with similar experience, or differencing opinions.

Comment

Question?

We have II's, III's and IV's, we seldom have complaints about missing pages and upon investigation most of those have been dispatch errors, such as dispatching on simplex instead of repeater. What frequency are you guys operating on? We are on 154.345, I was just thinking maybe it has something to do with the dispatch frequency? I am by no means an expert just an observation made by reading the posts here. Also personally I have had my III for two years now, never missed a tone and have never replaced the batteries. I let my batteries totally discharge about every other month and put my III in the charger every night.
            Matt Griffin
            Chief
            Eastern Chilton County Division of Fire, Rescue, and EMS, Station 91.

Comment

i never had a III or IV, but my brother went
              through 3 minitor III's untill he got 1 that
              lasted longer than 2 weeks,,

ive had a minitor II for about 10 years
              now and the only problem was 1 dead battery

Comment

I have a minitor II and have had it for a year now and I've never missed a page or have I needed to replace the battery witch was used when I got it. Only one guy on our dept. has a IV (because the dept was buying a new one and he needed one that was dual toned) and the only thing I've heard him complain about is the volume.
                Firefighter/ EMT-Basic
                Proud Soldier in the Iowa Army National Guard
                GLT 11/25/2005

All Gave Some
                Some Gave All
                Never Forget the Sacrifices Made

These are my opinions and not those of my dept.

Comment

Minitor IV juck, give me A II

Our last shipment were Minitor IV's, thought I was lucky, seniority and high call response percentage, so I got one of the new ones......
                  Let's put it this way, I also belong to a local volunteer ambulance, that operates on the same freq. (46.08) I carry their old II, when I'm up, out, and about. The IV sits in the charger beside my bed for the tone alert when sleeping, and I hope it picks up. Waiting for one of our II's to come back and will exchange it back ASAP..
                  (should now be CharlieRFD,past,Pres.), but I've had this screen name for so long, I'm keeping it..., besides I'm Deputy Chief now.
                  BE SAFE OUT THERE
                  NEVER FORGET
                  GOD BLESS THE 343 AND 60, MAY GOD GRANT HIS PEACE TO THEIR LOVED ONES.
                  IACOJ
                  F.O.O.P.

Comment

OK so far...

I bought a Minitor IV last September, and have been using it ever since on the same two sets of batteries. I've had no problems at all. My company also bought five for the officers and has had them in service for about four months now. All are VHF-high band.

My observation, from these 6 units, and a few other units scattered about the area in the hands of people I know, is this...

People who use them in a regular way, such as "put it in the charger when they go to bed, put it on their belt in the morning 7 or 8 hours later, use it all day, put it in the charger when they go to bed, and so forth", seem to have no problems. People who use them sporadically, such as "leave it in the charger for 3 days, then pull it out for 5 hours, then leave it in the charger for 2 days, etc", seem to have all sorts of problems.

I don't know if this means anything or not, but it seems to be a pattern.

Comment

Can you use regular alkaline batteries if your nicads poop out on you or is that a no-no? This is on a Minitor III if it matters.

Comment

Yes, you can use alkaline batteries. Just [b]DO NOT[b] put the pager in the charger with alkaline batteries. Pager blow up go boom.
                        Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

i have a Minitor II. Are Department tryed a few Min 4 and we did not like. Park City has them and form what i've heard there talking about going back to the III or II. I like my II never had a prob with it

Comment

Minitor IV

My chief and a couple of the firefighters has the Minitor IV and does not have any problems with them sometimes the alert doesn't trip just becuase in areas of the county it is to weak for the pager to recoginze the tone to trip the pager...So they bought an antenna and put it on a pole with an amplified charger to use the antenna with on the pager.....I myself have a Minitor III and I think they are ok pagers... My volume knob is off thats the only problem I have with mine and it goes off everytime when we are paged.... I think the best pagers that Motorola ever made was the Minitor II's they receive very well in areas the III and IV's won't do very good.... JUST MY 2 Cents

Comment

3/4 tire chock

The 3 and 4 minitor are hands down;JUNK!We still have a few of the good old reliable 2's still in service.We're replacing the 3&4's with Vertex 180 portable radios.Page activated,16 ch.scan,and about $100. cheaper than the afore mentioned pagers.Progress isn't always a good thing,particularly with these pagers.T.C.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X