This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody on the Chicago FD??

If there is anybody on the Chicago FD, I am just wondering if the CFD still wears hip boots instead of bunker gear. When I grew up around Chicago that is all they wore. If so why, I mean are bunkers not safer. Just wondering. No dis respect ment to anybody

I am not with the CFD but I know I read in a magazine that they still dont use bunker pants. There fire department statistic for burns is down using the hip boots.

Comment

CVFD,
      I love the city, and therefore spend alot of time there. Being a f.f. I've visited some of the stations, and talked to the guys. Keep in mind I am not an expert on CFD!!!! I was at the commisary one day when a f.f. came in and exchaged his 3/4 boots for a new pair. I was shocked!!! He was'nt an "old timer" either! From the limited # of guys I have talked to it seems to be tradition, and mobility. I was'nt all that interested in that conversation cause' I've never worn the 3/4 boots, nor do I want to. I heard somewhere, sorry I don't recall where, that CFD is going to bunker pants. I'm not sure if this is mandatory or voluntary though. Sorry I could'nt shed more light on the issue.

Comment

So far last I heard voluntary.The CFD likes the hip boots and no hoods to keep guys from getting into situations where you get fried.Now before all those that love to bash hip boots and no hoods unloads on my home state dept.Everyone has a different way of doing it.I have seen the shots of Cali guys with just bunker coats and pants with workboots.I have seen others that wear no hoods.I have seen those that wear so much gear it is just stagering to think"how do they carry it all?"So before we go bashing lets remember one thing.We are all doing the same job.The way we do it may not match your SOP's but then again you dont match ours Stay safe fellas no matter what you wear

Comment

To answer your question we still wear boots, that is what we are issued and the only members that wear bunkers are the guys at the airports. There was a rumor about going to bunkers for everyone but nothing has come of it.

Comment

I didn't know you could still GET 3/4 bunker boots. I remember when I first joined my volunteer department, everyone was issued full bunkers, but we carried some extra 3/4 boots and long coats on the engine, various sizes, just in case you responded POV and didn't have your gear with you. Those were the days.....

By the way, I think that 3/4 LEATHER boots would be real cool......
            Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
            Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
            Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
            — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

There has been a recent push to equip the CFD with bunker pants. Several Firefighters got some nasty burns at a high-rise fire last week. I personally like the option of wearing 3/4 boots. I have worn both and I believe there are pros and cons to each.On my department, we can wear them on non-structure fires. Since we handle alot of County Forest Preserve property and dont have wildland gear, it makes a big difference on those pesky grass fires.My bet is the CFD will go to bunker pants soon.
              IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

Leather 3/4's

By the way, I think that 3/4 LEATHER boots would be real cool...... [/B][/QUOTE]

You sir, are certifiable.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X