No announcement yet.

As promised- a tiller quint. (picture)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As promised- a tiller quint. (picture)

Here is another tillered ladder quint (KME) with
    a pump from the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
    I dont know how many gallons it is. I showed a
    picture earlier of a simular truck (I think E-One?)
    from Huntington Beach, CA.

I know how popular quints are in here, so have fun.
    Please keep in mind these units have been very
    successful. They still function as a truck with a
    bonus. There are NO jobs loss nor combining of
    truck/engine function with this truck.

Take care, Bou
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 06-03-2003, 02:35 AM.

Nice truck .
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Comment

Hmmmmmm...............

Well now, let's see where..... Ok, It's an engine - Driver, Officer, and two Firefighters.... Oops, almost forgot, It's a Tractor drawn ladder. That means a Driver, Officer, Tillerman, (Not you, 25) and three Firefighters. Does this thing have 10 seats??? (Just pulling your leg, Bou) Stay Safe....
      Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
      In memory of
      Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
      Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Wow...What a nice rig.... Can I drive the back???
        09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
        ------------------------------
        IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
        "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
        BMI Investigator
        ------------------------------
        The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

Can I drive the back with you Capt Stan?

Nice rig Bou!

Comment

when i went to the kme factory in california and they call them QUILLERS.also santa barbara county has a 105'foot tiller with pump and tank.also i have seen a seagrave version of that.

that is a nice truck by the way.

if u have a 2003 kme calender the santa barbara county truck is in december.

Comment

where is the supply hose???

Comment

Most of Them........

Historically, Most quints have had the supply line bed under the Stick and over the ground ladder racks, Etc. My guess on this one would be under the stick, with a chute to direct the hose around the tiller seat. Bou?. Stay Safe....
                Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                In memory of
                Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Here's another couple tiller quints, from Woodinville and Kirkland, WA, two suburbs of Seattle right next door to each other. The Woodinville quint is the first one ever built with a three axle tractor, which was probably done due to WA's strict weight laws (no exemptions for fire apparatus). As far as I know it's the only tiller quint built with a heavy-duty ladder.

All of these images are from www.bbirmingham.com, a site with tons of pics of Pacific NW apparatus, so credit must go to him.

Comment

Nice rigs. I would love to try and get one them round one of my little town streets. One of those trucks must be half the length of the High Street !!
                    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Comment

The Woodinville quint is the first one ever built with a three axle tractor, which was probably done due to WA's strict weight laws
                      also its for extra braking power.

http://www.firehouse.com/hotshots/ap...ttesville.html
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by EoneTiller
                        when i went to the kme factory in california and they call them QUILLERS.
                        A Quiller, eh?" Then their company mascot should be a porcupine! LOL
                        ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                        Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

HAAHAHAHA on the "QUILLER" thats what the nickname for my trade classification is.

On a more serious note, those are some pretty nice rigs. But I do have to ask, although I am well aware of the weight restrictions of WA state (my parents used to drive a long hauler from BC to CA) how the heck does that thing make the turns through a city? I mean I have been down some of those streets with a single axel tractor and a 30 foot pup, and that aint an easy thing to do.

Still, nice trucks!!!
                          If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

As my signature says, Malahat, I am the IACOJ tillerman. A tillered rig is much more maneuverable than any straight ladder truck or even a single screw tractor with a 30 foot pup trailer for one simple reason. The rear wheels are steerable enabling the rig's trailer to track in relatively the same path the tractor takes through the corners. Even wider, if necessary. That is the reason for a tiller in the first place. You don't have that with a box trailer, hence the greater maneuverability of the coolest piece of fire apparatus on wheels.
                            Leroy140 (yes, THAT Leroy)
                            Fairfield, CT, Local 1426
                            IACOJ Tillerman

Comment

you wouldnt believe your eyes if you saw a tiller in action. They can move around way better than any straight job rear or mid mount and probrably better than some of the larger engines on the market these days.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X