scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scenario

just a hypothetical question for you older guys. if you could only take two tools with you into a burning house which two would they be, and why?
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Great thought provoking question. Seeing how my light and radio are attached to my coat at shift change and our bail out/search rope bags are attached to our SCBAs I will go with the following "tools". I am going to say a 6 foot hook and a halligan bar.

*6 foot hook - outside vent and for assisting in primary search (see article in FE about this recently)

*halligan bar - to work doors, and in emergencies, breaching walls and as my bail out bag anchor point.

There should be some great replies with some good tips concerning tools and usage I would imagine!
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Comment

I think it really depends on your assignment. Tools should be specific to the task and type of building. If your primary assignment is forcible entry, you would want the irons, hydra ram or a sledge. If you are supporting the search team a PW can and a hook. If your assigned horizontal vent, a longer hook and tools to open up the rear. The occupany could change your tool selection too, steel doors make the hydra ram a priority, residential wooden doors, just extra weight. The 6' hook is great in a residential, useless to get the ceiling down in many commercials. Different selections for forcible entry could be a sledge, power saw, torch, bolt cutters etc.. depending on what you are heading into.

Comment

I agree, it depends on what your assignment is and what type of work that you will be doing. Are you on an engine, ladder or rescue. I am on an engine so we take the line and if the ladder is out or will be delayed, we take a Halligan and flat head axe with us. I think that the Halligan is one of the most versatile tools in our arsenal. I recently worked with the Denver Tool, the maul and pike pole in one tool. Now that I think of it, it may have had an axe blade opposite the sledge head. It is a little heavy but would come in very handy when other tools are scarce. You can breach walls, vent windows and then pull ceilings. If available, the TIC is also great to carry. It can speed up your primary search and may help locate the fire. Just remember not to get tunnel vision with it and remember how to get out if the camera goes dead.
        Northeast Fire Photos

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X