Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our officers also carry portables. But each officer (and career FFs) are issued their own radios. There are at least one--if not two- portables in each apparatus.

------------------
    Stay Safe.
    You asked for my opinion, now you have it. Any similarity to another opinion, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Comment

We are a combination paid/vol. dept. Each engine, ladder, rescue company and ambulance has a portable for each person assigned. CO's scan Dispatch and talkaround frequencies on working incidents and FF's stay on talkaround (unless an emergency, mayday, etc.). Supervisors (BC's, staff, etc.) have their own assigned portables.

Comment

You may want to check, but I think the OSHA regulations state the crews inside need to be in contact with the IC. Each crew of two should have one portable radio.

My department has one portable for eack man on the shift. We hand it off to the members of the next shift in the morning. We also have a few spares.

------------------
        Henry C. Hoffman Jr.

Comment

HHoffman...I would like to know that OSHA standard that you are refering to.
          On the dept that I am on the Chief strongly discourages any members other than officers to cary, use, or even look at a portable radio. YES... even an interior crew. Many times I have been on the initial attack crew w/out an officer and have had to back-out to advise other crews of changing conditions. I find this rather disturbing, as well as it makes me question my safety and that of others. I have purchased my own personal prep. and I was told by my Chief that if I was "caught" using it, I would be terminated. Kinda makes ya wonder huh... I need some hard facts, stats or something to sway this idiotic way of thinking.

MAC

------------------
          The few, the proud, the INSANE!

Comment

In our department, our permanent guys have a radio, but all of the vehicle have their own.... I think this is a good way to keep an eye on where your portables is going.

------------------
            Joel

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

Comment

In our department Officers,EMT's, and some daytime drivers are either issued or purchase their own portables. I for one have a sabre,Visar and Kenwood for the car but before you all go calling me a "radio ricky" let me explain.
              The Kenwood is a dual band so that I may monitor either two fire freqs (dispatch for updates and command for onscene activity) or a fire freq and an EMS freq. It is mounted in my vehicle and purchased by me.
              Next are the visar and saber. The visar is used when I am involved in command operations and the saber for interior operations. Both were also purchased by me. This leaves radios on the rigs for the interior teams who really need them. We carry two on each first line rig and 1 on the second lines. Our heavy rescue also has 5 or so in case other crews are operating (sectors) or we can give a radio or two to mutual aid departments who may not share frequencies we use. To say that interior crews should not get a radio is shocking (ohiofiremed57's chief). This Chief obviously must have forgotten what it was like to be inside a house heavily charged with fire trying to get your pump operator to jack up the pressure on the handline. Hopefully his ignorance is limited to communications and not the remainder of firefighting operations. Maybe he should be given a kick out the door in the next elections!
              *Opinions are mine and not necessarily shared by any orginizations I may be involved with*
              ------------------
              Jeffrey D. Grey-Captain
              Roosevelt Fire District-Hyde Park,N.Y.

[This message has been edited by RFD220 (edited 01-21-2001).]

Comment

OSHA will hang you from the nearest hose tower if you ever lose someone or get someone seriously hurt and they were inside without a radio! I don't know the reg but communications is definitely a key. It may not specifically say a 'radio' but if not, then you have to be within sight or speaking range and with SCBA how far can you talk so that someone can understand you? 3 feet? It's almost impossible to hear your partner on an attack line without repeating yourself at least twice and using hand signals to make yourself understood!

I would think very seriously about whether I was going inside someplace without having any means of communicating with the outside. That's a great way to get burned when somebody lets go from outside and pushes fire, heat, water, and steam back in your face! Especially, god forbid, with a bigger stream than you're carrying and aside from all the other bad things that can happen inside. I'd also have a serious problem with an officer that asked me to go inside without a radio...unless it was a life or death/'we gotta go now' rescue attempt.

Stay smart and safe!

Comment

We have 3 portables to a fire supression unit,1 on each EMS unit. And all Chiefs are issued a portable.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X