Storz Standpipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storz Standpipes

Hello all. Our municipality is currently reviewing plans for a 135,000 sq. ft. brand new Wal-Mart. Our fire official is giving the officers the option of requesting LDH Storz connections on the building instead of the usual 3" siamese. Has anybody had any experience with these good or bad? If so, please let me know. Thanks.

We have a building with 4" Storz fittings on the standpipes for LDH...no problems yet. (Built in 1987)
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Comment

I hope your talking about the Fire Dept connection outside and not standpipes, I'd hate to drag LDH around inside a building.

Comment

Check with other departments around you for the common useage of storz fittings. My dept. is totally storz,but 2 towns that surrond us are still steamer connection. Another one uses 3" still,but I think has recently converted to LDH. The other 3 use storz in regular service like we do. My point is check to see if you are the lone duck in your area useing storz fittings,because you may not be the ones pumping into the sprinkler system.

good luck
        -dfd

Comment

The shopping malls and many other buildings in my former jurisdiction had 4 inch Stortz connections for both the Standpipe and Sprinkler connections.You might as well feed the systems with as much water as possible to allow for fire spread and multiple handline use. Interior standpipe connections were 2 1/2 inch couplings.(My current department has many 2 1/2 inch threaded to 2" stortz handline connections as we use 2 inch hose) It would be interesting to see if anyone had 4 inch INTERIOR connections to facilitate the use of larger caliber streams (Blitzfires, small deluge units) inside of larger buildings.
          Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Comment

Thanks for the input. To clarify...I am talking about the FDC going into the building to supply the standpipe and/or sprinkler system. It's not really an issue what other area departments are using for compatibility issues, the issue at hand is the overall effectiveness of using a storz connection to facilitate using a 5" LDH over connecting two 3" lines to a 2 1/2" threaded siamese intake. I feel that it would be better for the simple fact that it reduces the process down to connecting one line and that line being a 5" supply line. The other option we were given for this commercial area was whether or not we want to have double-steamer hydrants. This would allow us to use our 2000gpm pumpers at their capacity. If anybody has any insight into either of these products, please post it here. Thanks.

Comment

want to have double-steamer hydrants. This would allow us to use our 2000gpm pumpers at their capacity
              I would love to have a water system that could supply this. Once a second hydrant is hit, my water system would not be able to maintain the flow.
              "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Care in use of stortz on FDC's

Turkyman
                There are several thoughts regarding the use of stortz and 5"hose. First check on the test pressure of your hose. There maybe some conditions, particularly in high rise buildings where the use of supply hose with its limited test pressure might be exceeded due to pressure loss from head. It makes sense to keep things simple. All FDC's in your jurisdiction should be the same. K.I.S.S. works.

Second, a siamese of two three inch or other type of connection gives you redundancy where a single does not. You may want to reconsider a single connection as opposed to a dual connection.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Bones...As far as I'm aware, the system that will be implemented should be able to handle. In the one complex, the left half will be an 8-inch main off the main municipal system and the other half (the one around the Wal-Mart) will be a 10-inch main off a different area of the municipal system. If it's true, it will be the first 2000gpm capable area we will have. It would definitely come in handy if something happened.

Comment

5" FDC's have been in use around here for a little while now. IMHO they are the way to go. Most 5" has an operating pressure high enough to do the job. Friction loss is much less than 3". I don't necessarily agree that having two 3" vs. one 5" provides redundancy, because the two lines are fed off the same source.
                    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Comment

5" FDC's

We don't have any 5" FDC's in our neighborhood, but, in thinking about this setup, would it be helpful to have a 45 or 22 degree fitting on the end pointing down, to reduce the kink on hose? We use one of these on our tanker fill ports (2.5 inch), and it seems to work well with the hose when we don't have alot of supply pressure.

Just wondering.

Comment

Yes...those were the exterior fittings.
                        May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Comment

Is there a right answer?, glowpop brings up a good point when he says that several small lines add redundancy in case of failure, and most 5in is service tested at below 200psi. Seems like you need to find the size of the bldg and estimate the fire flow, if one Storz will do it, it would certainly help with the friction loss situation if the building is large and 1 story. If the bldg happens to be a multi story (It probably isn't) then at some point you may have to trade gpm for an increase in pressure, such as by using 2 or more 3inch lines and doing a short relay pump. (say 150 psi to the fdc plus 5psi per floor is 150 plus 5x20floors equals 250psi) Then you definately don't want that kind of pressure blowing up in a 5in hose!! This is also the reason why some departments are going back to smooth bore nozzles in their hi-rise packs, low psi, and a higher gpm. (no I don't want to start THAT battle!) So my suggestion would be to let the type of bldg, number of stories and projected flow tell you what fdc you need. Hope that helps.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X