No announcement yet.

"ELF, no sprawl"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay.. they have a website, which I'm sure has a webmaster. Said webmaster has to have a computer, the only challenge is locating the computer and you get the people responsible.

I wish I was a Federal Special Agent, I'd have solved the crime already.

Comment

If you want to read more about ELF there is a 6 page
      article in this months MAXIM magazine. Pictures,names,
      stats on the $100 million worth of damage they have
      caused since 1996 and info on some simular "sister
      organizations.

Comment

Good grief. I can't beleive you mentioned MAXIM magazine in here. That's a 'gentlemans' magazine. Didn't you notice the Explorer section in the Forums? No decent American should be buying that filth. What happens if some kid reading this goes out and gets a copy of that magazine? I hope you haven't damaged some young Explorer for life. Kids, Stay away from MAXIM. Especially my copy.

Comment

Would anyone happen to have the link to their arson handbook? As an arson investigation major I feel that this information may be pertinent in the future.
          Thanks.
          Last edited by SmokeyNY; 02-25-2004, 01:30 PM.
          Once an Eagle, always an Eagle.

Comment

Problem is that these people of Mid-Eastern descent work in small cells. The boys at the top don't know who is doing what. Finding the guys at the website is easy, finding the guys who set the fires is harder.
            Newsflash!

There has been no evidence as to the racial makeup of ELF. I believe you have them confused with Al Queada.
            "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Comment

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A California Institute of Technology graduate
              student was arrested Tuesday in connection with an August arson and
              vandalism spree targeting 125 sports utility vehicles at four car
              dealerships, the FBI said.
              William Cottrell, 23, used an alias when he e-mailed The Los
              Angeles Times, claiming to be a member of the eco-terrorist group
              Earth Liberation Front and offering specific details to prove his
              involvement in the firebombings, the FBI said.
              "The FBI hasn't seemed to pick up on any of them (clues), which
              makes this whole ordeal rather boring for us, the true culprits,"
              one e-mail boasted, the FBI said in an affidavit.
              Authorities searched Caltech classrooms and tracked the e-mails
              to Cottrell, a grad student in the physics department, according to
              the affidavit. They also seized six computers from the campus.
              Cottrell was arrested for investigation of arson and vandalism.
              He was ordered held without bail at a court hearing. If convicted,
              he faces a maximum of 40 years in prison, the U.S. attorney's
              office said.
              "The charges are unfounded," defense attorney Stephen
              Alexander said outside court.
              Cottrell's father described his son as bright, hardworking and
              somewhat eccentric but incapable of the acts alleged by the
              government.
              "We were hopeful he wouldn't be charged," Dr. William Milnes
              Cottrell said from his Concord, N.C., home. "We are very unhappy
              about it. We are still reasonably sure he wasn't a primary agent in
              this deed."
              Prosecutors estimate the total damage was about $2.3 million.
              "Those who set fires, like those at the Hummer dealership in
              West Covina, are misguided zealots," FBI Assistant Director
              Richard Garcia said in a statement.
              The firebombing spree hit four car dealerships and at least four
              privately owned vehicles in communities east of Pasadena, where
              Caltech is located and where Cottrell was arrested.
              The West Covina attack destroyed or damaged 72 vehicles, mostly
              SUVS, and a parts warehouse.
              "We are understandably dismayed at the possibility that a
              Caltech student had any involvement with those acts," said Robert
              O'Rourke, Caltech's vice president for public relations.

APTV 03-09-04 2201EST
              Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
              Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
              On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Comment

I just love the way that the media and others go out of their way to keep from calling these terrorist what they are, terrorist. Their actions are usually confined to the back half of the news section around here.

Comment

Police arrest one of FBI's Most Wanted
                  Fugitive U.S. environmental radical arrested in Victoria for shoplifting

With reporting by Hudson Mack
                  canada.com

Monday, March 15, 2004

Michael James Scarpitti, who goes by the alias "Tre Arrow," was arrested in Victoria on a shoplifting charge. Scarpitti is on the United States' FBI Most Wanted list.

VICTORIA (CP-AP) - A fugitive U.S. radical environmentalist, charged with setting fire to logging and cement trucks in 2001, has been arrested in Victoria.

Michael Scarpitti was arrested Saturday for allegedly trying to shoplift some bolt-cutters, said Robert Jordan, the FBI's special agent in charge in Portland, Ore.

Scarpitti has been on the FBI's most-wanted list since disappearing two years ago and has been connected to the Earth Liberation Front, a shadowy group that has claimed responsibility for dozens of crimes over the last several years.

The FBI lists the ELF as its No. 1 domestic terrorism priority.

Scarpitti was struggling with security at a Canadian Tire store Saturday when police arrived.

"Upon taking him back to police headquarters it would appear he had no identification on him and refused to co-operate with the police in regard to identifying himself," Const. Rick Anthony of the Victoria police told reporters Monday.

City police first contacted people who knew the man, then spoke to immigration officials who checked his fingerprints and confirmed his identity.

Local charges against him are theft, assault and obstructing a police officer.

He appeared in Victoria provincial court Monday and was being held on an immigration warrant.

Jordan said the FBI did not know how long Scarpitti has been in Canada and the agency is working with Canadian authorities on Scarpitti's extradition to Oregon.

An official with Citizenship and Immigration Canada told Global affiliate BCTV the fugitive would "quite likely" be taken before a hearing where his removal would be sought.

"He does have a criminal record and of course it's our intention to remove him," Jim Redmond told the station.

Scarpitti, also known as Tre Arrow, is among four activists charged with setting logging trucks on fire June 1, 2001, to protest against logging on the slopes of Mount Hood.

Three other suspects were captured after one of them told a girlfriend about the crime, arrest papers said. The girlfriend's father is a deputy state fire marshal.

Scarpitti is also accused of taking part in an April 15, 2001 arson attack that damaged three cement trucks at Ross Island Sand & Gravel in Portland.

Scarpitti first gained notoriety in July 2000 when he scaled a U.S. Forest Service building in downtown Portland and lived on a ledge for 11 days to protest against timber policies.

In October 2001, he suffered several broken bones when he fell 18 metres from a hemlock tree where he had perched to protest against a logging sale in Oregon's Tillamook County.

On June 1 of that year arsonists firebombed trucks at Schoppert Logging Co. in Estacada, a small town between Portland and Mount Hood.

Three suspects were arrested. One of them, Jacob Sherman, was sentenced to more than three years in prison in 2003 after pleading guilty.

Court documents filed by Sherman's lawyer identified Tre Arrow as "the leader and instigator" of the arsons.
                  September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
                  IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                  Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

I believe it was either Maxim or Stuff that had a decent article about the ELF...........
                    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
                    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
                    IACOJ

Comment

hmmmmmm the lightbulb just went on .... there just happened to be rather a large fire in Victoria last night. Well at 2am. I was up because I'm sick and sleeping all wacky hours and I saw 3 fire trucks being led by an SUV all going out on a call at once, then I heard on the radio that there was a big fire. Some new condos (framing stage) were destroyed. 3 condos completely destroyed and 3 partially destroyed. Things that make ya go hmmmmmmmm ...... it will be interesting to hear what the investigation yields.
                      September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
                      IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                      Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

Maxim was the one with the article. Pretty good one.
                        Once an Eagle, always an Eagle.

Comment

Student Charged in California Anti-SUV Arson

Associated Press
                          LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A college student with apparent connections to a radical environmentalist group was charged with firebombing or otherwise vandalizing 125 sport utility vehicles.
                          Billy Cottrell, a 23-year-old graduate physics student from Pasadena, was indicted for damaging or destroying vehicles at car dealerships and homes in the Los Angeles area last August, said Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney's office on Wednesday.
                          Cottrell, who could face life in prison, has been held without bail since his arrest on March 9. His attorney, Stephen Alexander, said Cottrell was innocent and declined further comment.
                          A bond hearing was scheduled Wednesday and an arraignment was set for March 29.
                          According to an FBI affidavit, Cottrell contacted the Los Angeles Times by e-mail using an alias and told the paper he was involved in the firebombings. The California Institute of Technology student signed the e-mails ELF, short for Earth Liberation Front, according to the affidavit. Authorities searched Caltech classrooms and tracked the e-mails to Cottrell.
                          Investigators say the firebombing spree hit four car dealerships and at least four privately owned vehicles.
                          A fire set at one dealership destroyed or damaged 72 vehicles, mostly SUVs, and a parts warehouse. ``ELF,'' ``Fat, Lazy Americans'' and ``I (heart) pollution'' were painted on the SUVs. Prosecutors estimate the total damage at $2.3 million.
                          The Earth Liberation Front has claimed responsibility for a string of arsons in Detroit, Philadelphia and San Diego, where a fire last year destroyed a 206-unit apartment complex under construction, doing $50 million worth of damage.
                          The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
                          We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
                          IACOJ

Comment

And Now...............................

Originally posted by firenresq77
                            I believe it was either Maxim or Stuff that had a decent article about the ELF...........
                            An apparent Oxymoron - ELF and "decent" in the same sentence.
                            Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                            In memory of
                            Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                            Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

ELF

VICTORIA, British Columbia (AP) - A Canadian judge ordered a
                              radical environmentalist wanted by the FBI detained Monday, after
                              the American was caught allegedly trying to steal bolt cutters from
                              a tire store.
                              U.S. officials are working with the Canadian government to
                              extradite Michael Scarpitti, a suspected member of the Earth
                              Liberation Front group, a Canadian government spokesman said.
                              The FBI, which considers ELF a terrorist organization, has
                              offered a $25,000 reward for his capture.
                              The Earth Liberation Front has claimed responsibility for dozens
                              of crimes over the past several years. Scarpitti, also known as Tre
                              Arrow, is among four activists charged with setting logging trucks
                              on fire on June 1, 2001, to protest logging on the slopes of Mount
                              Hood in Oregon.
                              Scarpitti was arrested in Victoria, in western Canada, on March
                              13 and charged with theft, assault and obstruction. He told police
                              his name was Joshua Murray, but police learned his real identity
                              after running his fingerprints through a criminal database.
                              A British Columbia judge ruled Monday that Scarpitti will be
                              arraigned on April 20.
                              U.S. Department of Justice officials could not immediately be
                              reached for comment. But Robert Jordan, the FBI's special agent in
                              charge in Portland, Ore., said earlier this month the agency was
                              working to bring him back to Oregon.
                              Outside court, a group of people read a statement on Scarpitti's
                              behalf, saying he was on a hunger strike to protest his
                              incarceration and the lack of justice in the U.S. judicial system.
                              Scarpitti's lawyer, Tim Russell, said he did not know how long
                              the hunger strike would last.
                              Scarpitti also is accused of participating in an April 15, 2001,
                              arson attack that damaged three cement trucks at a sand-and-gravel
                              company in Portland.
                              Scarpitti first gained notoriety in July 2000 when he scaled a
                              U.S. Forest Service building in downtown Portland and lived on a
                              ledge for 11 days to protest timber policies.

APTV 03-29-04 1829EST

Comment

Another Incident

MONROE, Wash. (AP) - A contractor found soda bottles filled with
                                gasoline Wednesday in three upscale homes under construction, a day
                                after similar devices were found at another Snohomish County
                                development and intentionally set fires destroyed two new homes in
                                a third.
                                The contractor at the Storm Lake Heights development found the
                                bottles when he arrived at work Wednesday, Snohomish County
                                sheriff's spokeswoman Jan Jorgensen said.
                                Storm Lake Heights is about 15 miles north of the Lobo Ridge
                                development near Snohomish, where arson destroyed two unoccupied
                                homes and damaged a third on Tuesday. Damage from the fires was
                                estimated at $1 million, the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
                                Firearms and Explosives said in a news release Wednesday.
                                Near Maltby on Tuesday morning, another developer found six
                                gasoline-filled pop bottles arranged in a circle on a roadway. The
                                bottles were accompanied by a note attributed to the Earth
                                Liberation Front, ATF spokeswoman Julianne Marshall said Wednesday.
                                She said investigators had not determined that the ELF was
                                involved or that the three incidents were definitely linked. ELF
                                usually takes responsibility for fires orchestrated by its members,
                                and the organization has not done so in this case, she said.
                                "Anyone can write anything on a note," she said.
                                The ELF did not immediately return an e-mail from The Associated
                                Press seeking comment. The FBI believes the organization has caused
                                more than $100 million in damage since 1996, including the May 2001
                                attack that destroyed the University of Washington Center for Urban
                                Horticulture in Seattle.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...