"ELF, no sprawl"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "ELF, no sprawl"

Keep this in mind....this seems to be an ongoing effort by this group!

SUPERIOR TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) - An underground anti-sprawl group
    the Earth Liberation Front is claiming responsibility for fires
    that have destroyed houses under construction near Ann Arbor.
    Last summer, two fires 22 days apart destroyed two luxury houses
    being built in Washtenaw County's Superior Township. On March 21,
    fire destroyed two other nearby houses.
    The slogan "ELF, no sprawl" was spray painted on the garage
    door of a house next to one of those burned in March in the Mystic
    Forest subdivision.
    The FBI, federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and
    Explosives and the State Fire Marshal are involved in the
    investigation, Greg Stejskal, FBI Special Agent in charge of the
    Ann Arbor office, told the Detroit Free Press.
    The Earth Liberation Front is a radical environmental group that
    has claimed responsibility for a series of antigrowth attacks in
    the past six years.
    The group's Web site says that it "uses direct action in the
    form of economic sabotage to stop the destruction of the natural
    environment."
    "Since 1997, the ELF in North America has caused over $45
    million in damages to entities who profit from the destruction of
    life and the planet," the group says on its site.
    On the Web site, the group claims responsibility for the March
    21 fires, which it says caused $400,000 in damage. The group says
    no one has claimed responsibility for last summer's fires.
    The group also takes responsibility for burning luxury homes
    being built near Philadelphia late last year. A burning home is
    featured on the Web site, along with instructions on how to start
    fires.
    The Earth Liberation Front also claimed responsibility for a
    1999 fire targeting Michigan State University's agricultural
    biotechnology program. The group said it opposed genetic
    engineering of crops.
    A message seeking comment was sent Tuesday to an e-mail address
    listed on the group's Web site.
    Mystic Forest developer Richard Gilbert says he is considering
    new security options but has not decided on anything.
    "Security is a new word for me," he said. "But I can't be
    there 24 hours a day."
    Superior Township Fire Marshal Wayne Dickinson, whose department
    usually fights about three accidental house fires a year, said the
    arsons have residents on edge.
    "All of the builders are on pins and needles," he said. "They
    are getting security dogs and hiring people to sit in their houses
    because of what's going on."
    A couple whose house was burned last summer are taking
    precautions to prevent a recurrence.
    "We hired a security guard to sit in a trailer at night"
    outside the home, the woman told the newspaper, which did not
    publish her name. "It broke my heart. I don't know why anyone
    would do this to us. I don't want anyone else to have to go through
    this."

(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

posted by NJFFSA16....

The Earth Liberation Front is a radical environmental group that
    has claimed responsibility for a series of antigrowth attacks in
    the past six years.
    The group's Web site says that it "uses direct action in the
    form of economic sabotage to stop the destruction of the natural
    environment."
    "Since 1997, the ELF in North America has caused over $45
    million in damages to entities who profit from the destruction of
    life and the planet," the group says on its site.
    On the Web site, the group claims responsibility for the March
    21 fires, which it says caused $400,000 in damage. The group says
    no one has claimed responsibility for last summer's fires.
    The group also takes responsibility for burning luxury homes
    being built near Philadelphia late last year. A burning home is
    featured on the Web site, along with instructions on how to start
    fires.
    The Earth Liberation Front also claimed responsibility for a
    1999 fire targeting Michigan State University's agricultural
    biotechnology program. The group said it opposed genetic
    engineering of crops.
    Fire as a weapon...which produces copius amounts of gasses that are poisonous and pollute the environment that they claim they are trying to protect....

What a bunch of Maroons!

Comment

This Idiots are suspected in releasing a large number of animals used in spinal injury research. Then they completely trashed the facilities and burned them out. This one act set back the research decades, not only becuase of the material loses, but the Dr. doing the research was so upset he commited suicide.

They could save a lot on their own if they would follow one simple idea: Save the planet, kill yourself.
      My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
      "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
      George Mason
      Co-author of the Second Amendment
      during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
      Elevator Rescue Information

Comment

I've said it here before. ELF and their associated group, the Animal Liberation Front, are violent terrorist groups who are capable of large scale violence. Do not underestimate this group as bunch of "idiots".
        PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
          Do not underestimate this group as bunch of "idiots".
          Besides NOT being idiots....they are well funded, well organized, very determined, extremely bold...and, yes, very dangerous.

Typical targets are sprawling developments in urban/wildland interface areas.

Comment

... And don't forget to check out their website. You will be amazed at the "arson handbook" they have as a downloadable PDF file. From picking targets, to building construction, to making timers to using trailers and accelerants. Recognize any of the pictures in it? Yup! Right out of the IFSTA third edition...

Comment

TERROISM WITH A DIFFERENT NAME

So it would appear that ELF is a new word for terroism, because that is exactly what these peopel are practicing, and "preaching". They are using aggressive means to gain their goals.

NJ has the right of it: "Besides NOT being idiots....they are well funded, well organized, very determined, extremely bold...and, yes, very dangerous."

We will be hearing more of these people, I am sure.
              If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

Re: TERROISM WITH A DIFFERENT NAME

Originally posted by MalahatTwo7
                So it would appear that ELF is a new word for terroism, because that is exactly what these peopel are practicing, and "preaching". They are using aggressive means to gain their goals.

NJ has the right of it: "Besides NOT being idiots....they are well funded, well organized, very determined, extremely bold...and, yes, very dangerous."

We will be hearing more of these people, I am sure.
                These people are by no means "new". I have been folowing this group for at least six years. They have been around longer than that.

People have to realize that there is more to this terrorism game than al-Qaeda.

Comment

Recognize any of the pictures in it? Yup! Right out of the IFSTA third edition...

As they say, they got Capone on Tax Evasion. If that's true, it's not enought to shut 'em down, but copyright violation is certainly one way to harass them.

I wonder if the U.S. Attorney General can enforce copyright law, or if if would have to come from a civil suit from those being harmed by the violation?
                  IACOJ Canine Officer
                  20/50

Comment

Sorry George, I only meant that they were "new" to me. I had no idea that ELF had been operating for so long.

I also agree with SFDAJL52, in that how can they be allowed to "work" and not be hunted down? There seems to be something wrong with that process somehow.

I spent 5 months on a naval deployment in Nov 2001 - March 2002 searching for bin Laden... apparently I didnt really have to leave home.
                    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 05-27-2003, 04:01 PM.
                    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

Originally posted by MalahatTwo7
                      Sorry George, I only meant that they were "new" to me. I had no idea that ELF had been operating for so long.

I also agree with SFDAJL52, in that how can they be allowed to "work" and not be hunted down? There seems to be something wrong with that process somehow.

I spent 5 months on a naval deployment in Nov 2001 - March 2002 searching for bin Laden... apparently I didnt really have to leave home.
                      Here's the problem with hunting them down. They don't exist. You can't go to their national headquarters. You can't "join'. You don't go to their convention.

They are a loosely affiliated group of anarchist-related people with like ideals. They are the same people who are involved in most appeasement movements. The only time they go out in public, they go out and legally demonstrate. It's only when they commit an "action", that they break the law. If you could prove that they were "organized", you might be able to get them on RICO. But they operate clandestinely under the cover of protected speech. It's a real dillema. Download their materials and see how they plan their "actions". They do everything possible not to get caught.

I forgot to mention that another affiliated group, just as dangerous, is SHAC-Stop Huntington Animal Cruelty. Vicious.

Comment

AND THEN HE SAID: "AAAHHH THE LIGHT COMETH..."

Thank you George. As I said earlier, I was not aware of this group until just this morning. The "light has come on", and I learned something today.. so that's a good day.

Also, judging by your commentary, I would rate this group in the "Coward" section, in that they use events and others to hide and from which to operate from. I understand the difficulty it is to hunt something you can't "see".

Comment

Originally posted by fergus
                          ... And don't forget to check out their website. You will be amazed at the "arson handbook" they have as a downloadable PDF file. From picking targets, to building construction, to making timers to using trailers and accelerants. Recognize any of the pictures in it? Yup! Right out of the IFSTA third edition...

What is there web site?

Comment

Originally posted by Kvfcjr
                            What is there web site?
                            Their website is.....ELF

ELF was the topic of discussion on MSNBC last night....5/27. I only saw the final few seconds of the discussion.

Comment

These guys are definitely a public menace. They have hit several scientific installations in my area over the last few years. They like to get naive young idealists to do their dirty work. Then when they get caught, it can't be traced back to ELF since it was done by individuals and not the organization. ELF serves as an instigator for civil disorder.

GeorgeWendtCFI is right, groups like this are very decentralized and hard to pin down. They are almost like an underground sub-culture within the anarchist world.

You could catch and arrest all of them today, but more would pop-up tomorrow.

Something else to ponder, many of the other splinter organizations and groups are really the same people using different organizational names. Many of these organizations exist solely as a "name", which becomes a rallying point for like minded individuals to do their crimes in the name of a particular group. The name of the group used can depend upon the target of the crime or disorder.

They are very much like highly dangerous juvenile vandals, but on a much larger scale.
                              IACOJ Military Division
                              NM Office
                              ------------------------------------
                              "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X