Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stealing, drugs and arson...What is wrong with our profession?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stealing, drugs and arson...What is wrong with our profession?

I have been scanning the FH news headlines and reading
    your forums comments. Stealing money, drugs and arson
    by Firefighters and Chiefs. Why are we seeing this now
    in or profession across the USA? This bad press is not
    what we need.

Is it just out of desperation? To survive? Hard times?

I admit, I have had some extreamly hard times in my
    personal life, (most of us have) but didnt cross the
    line. Are these rare and isolated new stories or
    what do you think?
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 05-26-2003, 10:30 PM.

There's nothing wrong with our profession. There is something wrong with those individuals who claim to be part of the brotherhood and yet turn their backs on it and cause us great harm.

Media coverage has a lot to do with it. Do you think it would have made the news if the headline read "Deli Clerk Indicted for Stealing Bologna"?

Background checks are just a part of the ongoing "checks and balances" necessary to keep our profession "professional"

Comment

My Captain has it right.......

For one thing, the problem children are about .001% of our ranks, yet they bring 95% of the bad news down upon the rest of us. (the other 5% comes from wha..... oops, wrong thread) My esteemed colleague hit it straight on about what it takes to sell papers. In our area, some (to me) minor differences between a career officer and a volunteer organization became a full blown Career/Volunteer war IF YOU BELIEVED THE PAPER. The good news is, most people don't believe the paper. I once asked a reporter who had a story captioned "Paid firemen battle volunteers over...", why he did not do a story on the ongoing battle over school district funding, and title it "Career educators battle volunteers over..." His answer?? "that will not sell more papers" and that is the heart of the matter. People in the news business want to report news, factual or not. Stay Safe....
      Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
      In memory of
      Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
      Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Like Gonzo said, there is nothing wrong with the profession. Sometimes you just got some lossers that slip through and happen to make there way into the business. I belive that in a post 9/11 era and tough fiscal times,fire departments as whole are going to be put under the microscope. I dont look upon these inncidents as cracks in our professional "hull",more of "barnicles" that need to be scrapped off.

Just my 1 cent.
        -dfd

Comment

Crap like this makes us all look bad

This happens in every part of american business. The few "lost souls" make all of us that give a damn about our jobs look bad.
          Like CaptGonzo said, we need background checks for starters. Also we need checks and balances in our departments from both inside and outside.
          I'm suspect of any officer that will not open the books for any member to look over.
          I'm suspect when our call volume goes up suddenly.
          I have been in the fire service as a volunteer for 13 years. When I think back, I can name 1 suspected arsonist, 2 child molesters and 1 convicted thief that I knew personally. Not all were volunteers.
          ( not to mention alot of whackers....did I say that?)
          Its a shame that these people got away with what they did for as long as they did.
          My question is, how many more are out there?

Comment

Gonzo nailed it. Our profession, whether you are career or a vollie is held above most, much like police, religious leaders and etc. With that comes the added responsibility of a more media and public scrutinies. Personally I wouldn't have it any other way.
            People don't become heroes for fame and glory, they end up heroes because they don't want to let down their buddies. I think that comes from moral character.
            My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
            "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
            George Mason
            Co-author of the Second Amendment
            during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
            Elevator Rescue Information

Comment

I agree with everyone above but believe repeated negative press will tarnish the fire image as a whole...How many honestly have the same faith in the Catholic Church they had ten years ago before all the cover ups?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X