This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon Monoxide Alarm Response

Could anyone whose department has an SOP concerning carbon monoxide alarm response please advise of the actions normally used in your response. My department does not have any CO detection equipment, and therefore I am particularly interested in the differences between the responses of those with and without this equipment. Please feel free to reply with any information or thoughts concerning FF or civilian safety in this type of call, whether or not you have a written SOP for these alarms.

CO alarms responses by our Dept. is if no one is feeling ill we respond non-emergency obiviously if we are advised by Dispatch that people are feeling ill we respond as an emergency. We carry 2 air quality monitors on our Eng. and if we detect any CO or have any concerns of the possiblity of CO the IC will request the Gas company. Otherwise we clear if none is detected.

GOD Bless FDNY and ALL of the lost Brother's and thier families.

FTM, PTB, RFB.

Comment

CO Alarms are always dispatched as emergency. First unit to go responding (Officer or Engine) finds out if everyone is out of the residence. If so, FD goes non-emergency. I am unsure on EMS's SOP's regarding this. We carry several CO and Gas monitors. If someone is feeling ill, FD goes on air to search the residence. If not, FD does not go on air unless monitor picks something up. We have a checklist of items to cover throughout the residence to insure that all bases are covered.

Stay Safe

Comment

For us, CO alarms are dispatched as emergencies and, in the absence of orders to the contrary from an officer on the scene, are run emergency speed. Response is generally limited to the Truck (which carries the CO meter, checklists, liability waivers and six SCBA) if all occupants are accounted for, but will be full company (Truck, Ladder & Engine) if the situation at the scene is not known or is known to include victims down or ill.

Most often, the OIC arrives first in POV. If the evacuation and safety of all occupants is confirmed and no obvious hazardous conditions exist, the OIC will usually immediately order the response to be "Truck only, normal flow".

Comment

I suggest reading Frank Montagna's book responding to routine emergency's. from Pennwell publishing. It has an amazing section on Carbon Monoxide responses, from how the detectors work, to locating sources as well treating victims I was very impressed. The rest of the book is really good as well on a number of rather routine calls.

Comment

A CO alarm in our district usually gets as many rigs as can go from our firehouse, but no mutual aid engine. Some other departments around us have the same set up they would have with a Fire Alarm, mutual aid truck and engine. We`ll send our engine that has a meter, and whatever else after that if needed. We`ll also respond as if it was an emergency until an officer tells otherwise. Too many times have people called back and said there`s no problem, when there really is.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X