Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What traditional style helmet should I go with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fawlty
    replied
    What's hoggin' your noggin

Ok, after using and owning three different traditional style helmets I have to say:

Cairns 1010 imho is the worst of the three, if your noggin is slightly larger than average then the 1010 tends to create a little pressure just in front of the ear area (OK for 10 mins, but a real headache if your wearing it for extended periods of time). Can be relieved by pulling the neck cape attachments away at that point, but of course NFPA and the department would frown on that if they knew.

Leather N5A, Great helmet, great looking - however, slightly heavier than composites and as it rides low, really low and the way the front brim dips down in the center, the EZ-flips obscure upper 25% of my view. Currently wear it Winters only.

Ben II, This is my all time favorite - ordered it with leather interior, goggle garage and EZ-flips. The helmet is lightweight, oh so comfortable (even with us fatheads) and the flips don't obscure the vision at all. Ratchet works well, normally never wear the chinstrap (I know, I know) like I had to with the 1010. My only complaint, and it's purely a purist traditional cosmetic issue, is that the front shield slants back instead of sitting straight up.

Hope this helped someone who's looking to choose.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• raven911
    replied
    I have no real personal experience with Cairns 1010, or Ben II's. I have been issued a Bullard UST by my department. Overall it is not a bad lid if paired with goggles and no flip down visor. They are damn heavy with a visor. I would rather wear it than a Metro 660 or standard Bullard. I would love to try the Ben II, but I have not had the chance.

The UST is definitely better than the original (CX, or something like that). The old Bullard traditionals rode really high and were even bulkier. I believe "funky" is the correct word. I don't believe the new UST is a whole lot different from the contemporary styles Bullard offers. It just has a traditionally shaped shell. It seems equivalent to their higher end fiberglass models. But enough about Bullard. They seem to be the Mickey-D's of the fire helmet industry.

I have never really cared for the contemporary/Metro style. I seem to bang them around and get them hung on everything much worse than a traditional. I think it is because they ride lower on the back of the neck. I have never been a fan of the flip down visor because it always makes the front heavier than the back. They end up riding funny on your head, especially the Metro style. All they end up doing on mine is getting scratched up, broken, or destroyed in some manner making them quite useless. I much prefer goggles.

Leave a comment:

• Weruj1
    replied
    I love posting on this topic as it is so versatile in opinons .....I have a 1010 and I think I would go leather if the Chief would go for it (thanks Jaybird210). I checked out his helemt when I was there and it wasnt that much heavier than the 1010 and I was surprised as all I could recall from the last time I picked up one was that they were very heavy. I dont like the lack of skull protection in the Ben II 's and I think they sit to high on your head. So I am saying 1010 or I wouldnt mind tryin a leather for a while .........

Leave a comment:

• CaptainS
    replied
    I have the first generation of Phenix TL-1500. Love It. I was at a show recently and saw a new one, weighs half of what mine does. But nothing beats a OLD leather with no guts in it!

Leave a comment:

• MeasterBFD
    replied
    Originally posted by slackjawedyokel
    Ok now that ya got a nice helmet fur on TOP
    of yur head----spend a little time a learning
    stuff ta fur the INSIDE of yur head.
    Best fireman I ever knew -- wore a MSA "flintcote"
    helmet with the old Plectron flip down.
    All in time.

Leave a comment:

• RyanEMVFD
    replied
    we have one of those MSA helmets with faceshield and leather chin strap hanging up in our office. still in good condition.

Leave a comment:

• CharlieRFDPres
    replied
    Y only consider "traditional" helmets

Tradition is great, don't get me wrong, BUT PROTECTION PROTECTION is the real name of the game here. Take those monsterously heavy leather helmets and put them where they belong, in a museum!!!
    Get out of the 1800's, kevelar and other materials are available now that that are more heat resistant, harder, MUCH MUCH lighter, have neat things like integrated face shield (or goggles). Even if you want the traditional style (shape, etc.) they are available, but look at newer styles too. My range of motion of head and neck, when in SCBA is greater, therefore increased vision area, especially up, is better than the traditional styles allow.
    Protect your melon.

OK sorry, more than 2 cents worth, make it a nickles worth.

Ya'll be safe out there, protect and serve, yourself 1st, then your partner, then everyone else.

Leave a comment:

• slackjawedyokel
    replied
    Ok now that ya got a nice helmet fur on TOP
    of yur head----spend a little time a learning
    stuff ta fur the INSIDE of yur head.
    Best fireman I ever knew -- wore a MSA "flintcote"
    helmet with the old Plectron flip down.

Leave a comment:

• MeasterBFD
    replied
    Originally posted by BUGGY5632

Amateur comedian, that is . My preference is leather. I prefer either the N5A or N6A Sam Houston. I have 2 leathers in service and my first one I purchased in 1991 for 250.00. Today, it still sits on my locker, ready to go. I would not use anything else. I find leather not only rich in tradition, but rich in durability as well. Maintained well, it could last you your entire career, to echo what some of the other brothers have said on the forum.
    I held a leather the other night nice helmet too expensive for me.

Leave a comment:

• BUGGY5632
    replied
    Originally posted by MeasterBFD

I see we have a comedian in the group...
    We had a 660 metro that got run over by a truck.

Amateur comedian, that is . My preference is leather. I prefer either the N5A or N6A Sam Houston. I have 2 leathers in service and my first one I purchased in 1991 for 250.00. Today, it still sits on my locker, ready to go. I would not use anything else. I find leather not only rich in tradition, but rich in durability as well. Maintained well, it could last you your entire career, to echo what some of the other brothers have said on the forum.

Leave a comment:

• MeasterBFD
    replied
    I am sending back the 1010 I ordered a Ben 2 Plus. I compared both of them in person the Ben 2 Plus is better and less expensive.
    Last edited by MeasterBFD; 05-28-2003, 07:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MeasterBFD
    replied
    Originally posted by BUGGY5632

Use it as a wheelchock.
    I see we have a comedian in the group...
    We had a 660 metro that got run over by a truck.

Leave a comment:

• BUGGY5632
    replied
    Originally posted by MeasterBFD
    2 Months in the department and I purchased my own helmet. Hey it is all about preference. Now do I turn my metro in or keep it for a backup. A few of the guys are like why did you spend your money. To that I say because I don't want a salad bowl on my head.

Use it as a wheelchock.

Leave a comment:

• ff7134
    replied
    LEATHER LEATHER LEATHER LEATHER

With that said, my current until my N6 is Delivered is a 1010.
    I have had that helmet since I started 4 yrs ago and it is very crusty. I almost don't want to retire it to its backup role........but I got to get the COW Crusty. And bourkes with ESS Extricators is the only way to go!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• captstanm1
    replied
    No substitutes please

CaptainGonzo is correct... If taken care of it will last you a career.

If you are going to go traditional and want the best then there is no substitute for a CAIRNS Leather. It is an all leather helmet. Be cautious of those others out there that claim to be leather. They are cheap, poor imitations. In most cases it is just a leather cover over a mold (unlike the Cairns). The phenix is an example.

Don't waste your money on imitations. Go real or don't go. If you are going tradition but do not want real leather, then go with either the Cairns 1010 or the Bullard Traditional. The Bullard is very very much improved and sits really well on your head now. Additionally, in most cases you can have the Bullard on your doorstep, with standard 6" leather front in 5 working days.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X