Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What traditional style helmet should I go with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may not help much but... If you don't want to go with a leather lid, which many of us on here would suggest, stay away from the Bullard "UST" traditionals. I have never owned a Cairns 1010 or the Ben II, but from all I hear, they are good solid lids. The Bullard traditional is garbage - I know as the Air Force forces me to wear one everyday with my structural gear(they don't like my New Yorker). At my vollie dept where we actually fight fire, I only wear my New Yorker
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

Comment

Originally posted by Medic162
      This may not help much but... If you don't want to go with a leather lid, which many of us on here would suggest, stay away from the Bullard "UST" traditionals. I have never owned a Cairns 1010 or the Ben II, but from all I hear, they are good solid lids. The Bullard traditional is garbage - I know as the Air Force forces me to wear one everyday with my structural gear(they don't like my New Yorker). At my vollie dept where we actually fight fire, I only wear my New Yorker
      Leather is too expensive.
      Member, United Fire Company Of Botsford.
      My posts are not the opinions of nor do they represent UFC Botsford.

Comment

Originally posted by MeasterBFD

Leather is too expensive.
        Leather is expensive, but if it is cared for, it will last for a career. Most firefighters I know get only an average of 3 years out of "tactical tupperwear" and "pleather" lids...

Comment

Helmets

First, I have to agree with Gonzo. A leather lid is worth it. I've found my New Yorker to be very comfortable and more durable than most platic helmets (although I think I may have to retire it soon to purchase a Sam Houston to comply with NFPA specs).

That said, I have worn 660's, 1010's, Bullard traditional and Ben 2's in a variety of places. Hated the Bullard traditional, I have heard their other helmets are ok. The Ben 2 is pretty good, no complaints there either. I love Cairns helmets. My 1010 was great, fit more comfortably and didn't fall off my head much. I think you made a good purchase.

Still can't beat a leather though. Stay safe.
          Jonathan Martin
          [email protected]
          WPI Mechanical Engineering
          "Be safe, use smoke detectors...be safer, sleep with a firefighter..."

Comment

2 Months in the department and I purchased my own helmet. Hey it is all about preference. Now do I turn my metro in or keep it for a backup. A few of the guys are like why did you spend your money. To that I say because I don't want a salad bowl on my head.

Comment

Keep it as a back-up.

1010s are great. Only heard good things about the Ben2s, great price also. Love my N5A though, 9 years old and still going strong.

As for the goggles on the helmet...I don't care for the look myself, but the bigger issue I see with leaving them on all the time is that I'm sure you could easily burn them up in a good fire. I'd carry them in a pocket too.
              Mark
              Firefighter / Paramedic
              IAFF Local 10

Comment

Another two cents....

Hi...
                I'm sure that this thread has been beat to death, but I'll add my two cents:

I just purchased a Ben 2 (with 4" flip down, no bourkes or goggles for me) and love it. I think it rides more comfortably than my 660. I use my 660 for the burn house, as well as my back up. My Ben 2 is seeing limited duty right now because of the lack of a shield. When it comes in, it will become my full-time lid.

I compared all of the 'tactical tupperware' in the Ben 2's price range, and couldn't beat the value and overall comfort of the Ben 2. When I have a little more crust (and money! ) I will definately be moving onto a leather.

Stay safe!
                Once again....the above views are my own and not that of my department. (And probably should not be construed as having any real meaning, whatsoever!)

IACOJ

Comment

Re: Another two cents....

Originally posted by FightingDevil
                  Hi...
                  I'm sure that this thread has been beat to death, but I'll add my two cents:

I just purchased a Ben 2 (with 4" flip down, no bourkes or goggles for me) and love it. I think it rides more comfortably than my 660. I use my 660 for the burn house, as well as my back up. My Ben 2 is seeing limited duty right now because of the lack of a shield. When it comes in, it will become my full-time lid.

I compared all of the 'tactical tupperware' in the Ben 2's price range, and couldn't beat the value and overall comfort of the Ben 2. When I have a little more crust (and money! ) I will definately be moving onto a leather.

Stay safe!
                  I was told when using scba the 660 provides more mobility. The 1010 has the ratcheting adjustment as where my 660 does not my 660 practically sits sideways so if anything the 1010 will be more comfortable. I can't wait till I can take FF1 and start building crust.

Comment

No substitutes please

CaptainGonzo is correct... If taken care of it will last you a career.

If you are going to go traditional and want the best then there is no substitute for a CAIRNS Leather. It is an all leather helmet. Be cautious of those others out there that claim to be leather. They are cheap, poor imitations. In most cases it is just a leather cover over a mold (unlike the Cairns). The phenix is an example.

Don't waste your money on imitations. Go real or don't go. If you are going tradition but do not want real leather, then go with either the Cairns 1010 or the Bullard Traditional. The Bullard is very very much improved and sits really well on your head now. Additionally, in most cases you can have the Bullard on your doorstep, with standard 6" leather front in 5 working days.
                    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
                    ------------------------------
                    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
                    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
                    BMI Investigator
                    ------------------------------
                    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

LEATHER LEATHER LEATHER LEATHER

With that said, my current until my N6 is Delivered is a 1010.
                      I have had that helmet since I started 4 yrs ago and it is very crusty. I almost don't want to retire it to its backup role........but I got to get the COW Crusty. And bourkes with ESS Extricators is the only way to go!!!!!
                      AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Comment

2 Months in the department and I purchased my own helmet. Hey it is all about preference. Now do I turn my metro in or keep it for a backup. A few of the guys are like why did you spend your money. To that I say because I don't want a salad bowl on my head.

Use it as a wheelchock.

Comment

Originally posted by BUGGY5632

Use it as a wheelchock.
                          I see we have a comedian in the group...
                          We had a 660 metro that got run over by a truck.

Comment

I am sending back the 1010 I ordered a Ben 2 Plus. I compared both of them in person the Ben 2 Plus is better and less expensive.
                            Last edited by MeasterBFD; 05-28-2003, 07:38 PM.

Comment

I see we have a comedian in the group...
                              We had a 660 metro that got run over by a truck.

Amateur comedian, that is . My preference is leather. I prefer either the N5A or N6A Sam Houston. I have 2 leathers in service and my first one I purchased in 1991 for 250.00. Today, it still sits on my locker, ready to go. I would not use anything else. I find leather not only rich in tradition, but rich in durability as well. Maintained well, it could last you your entire career, to echo what some of the other brothers have said on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by BUGGY5632

Amateur comedian, that is . My preference is leather. I prefer either the N5A or N6A Sam Houston. I have 2 leathers in service and my first one I purchased in 1991 for 250.00. Today, it still sits on my locker, ready to go. I would not use anything else. I find leather not only rich in tradition, but rich in durability as well. Maintained well, it could last you your entire career, to echo what some of the other brothers have said on the forum.
                                I held a leather the other night nice helmet too expensive for me.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X