Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What traditional style helmet should I go with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What traditional style helmet should I go with?

The 1010 looks nice but the Ben II is cheaper. I would most likely go bourkes and goggles. I need opinions from people who own these helmets.
    Member, United Fire Company Of Botsford.
    My posts are not the opinions of nor do they represent UFC Botsford.

I am also open to other brands.

Comment

Check out...

Phenix Technologys. They have a progressive style
      AND LEATHER...www.phenixfirehelmets.com

Comment

Re: Check out...

Originally posted by CALFFBOU
        Phenix Technologys. They have a progressive style
        AND LEATHER...www.phenixfirehelmets.com
        It is about 400 dollars isn't it? A little too much for me.

Comment

Call...

I dont have the price list in front of me.
          Call them on Tues. and ask. As always. there
          are lots of fire helmets on www.ebay.com

-Bou

Comment

Difference of opinion.....

Bou and I have agreed on a lot of things (open cab Crown Pumpers come to mind) but on Helmets we go our own way. I have, and like, a 1010. I have to say that, in a 45 year career, it's the best one I've ever had. Over the years I've had New Yorkers mostly, about 8 of them, all but one of which I still have, hanging on the wall. 1 aluminum helmet (remember them?) and several Metro 660's round out the collection. My currently active headgear is a 1010 in my Chief's buggy, A Metro 660 for a spare in my pickup, A Sam Houston at my 2nd station, And a Pacific Kiwi for my Tech Rescue Team work. All that said, If I need another Helmet tomorrow, It'll be a 1010. As to Eye protection, examine the requirements for Eye protection in your state before spending your money. Maryland requires goggles, Flip downs and Burkes are NOT acceptable. I'm sure this will vary from one state to another. And Last, I don't trust ebay any farther than I could throw them... Stay Safe....
            Last edited by hwoods; 05-26-2003, 08:27 AM.
            Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
            In memory of
            Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
            Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

I've owned & used the Metro 660C (Paid job currently) and a Bullard Traditional and a Cairns 1010.
              I believe the 1010 is a far superior helmet to the Bullard. The one I've been issued from my Volunteer FD is superb! This June when our clothing allowance comes out from the Paid job, the Chief has approved me to buy a 1010 for use there. It'll be the first one in Department history (I Think).
              Go with the 1010. Bourkes are for looks. The goggles are what will save your bacon (or your eyes). Go with the goggle/bourke combo.

*Mark
              FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Comment

Re: Difference of opinion.....

Originally posted by hwoods
                Bou and I have agreed on a lot of things (open cab Crown Pumpers come to mind) but on Helmets we go our own way. I have, and like, a 1010. I have to say that, in a 45 year career, it's the best one I've ever had. Over the years I've had New Yorkers mostly, about 8 of them, all but one of which I still have, hanging on the wall. 1 aluminum helmet (remember them?) and several Metro 660's round out the collection. My currently active headgear is a 1010 in my Chief's buggy, A Metro 660 for a spare in my pickup, A Sam Houston at my 2nd station, And a Pacific Kiwi for my Tech Rescue Team work. All that said, If I need another Helmet tomorrow, It'll be a 1010. As to Eye protection, examine the requirements for Eye protection in your state before spending your money. Maryland requires goggles, Flip downs and Burkes are NOT acceptable. I'm sure this will vary from one state to another. And Last, I don't trust ebay any farther than I could throw them... Stay Safe....
                Yea legend has it one of the guys had a 1010 that he put bondo and paint on when he cracked it you could not tell either. I think I will go with one from the fire store.

Comment

Originally posted by mark440
                  I've owned & used the Metro 660C (Paid job currently) and a Bullard Traditional and a Cairns 1010.
                  I believe the 1010 is a far superior helmet to the Bullard. The one I've been issued from my Volunteer FD is superb! This June when our clothing allowance comes out from the Paid job, the Chief has approved me to buy a 1010 for use there. It'll be the first one in Department history (I Think).
                  Go with the 1010. Bourkes are for looks. The goggles are what will save your bacon (or your eyes). Go with the goggle/bourke combo.

*Mark
                  I don't like having my goggles on my helmet they just do not fit right. I know where you are coming from however. I think I will keep them in my pocket.
                  Last edited by MeasterBFD; 05-26-2003, 11:50 AM.

Comment

check out www.fire-end.com

i prefer the paul conway helmet myself so that's the only one i'll comment on.
                    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
                    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Comment

I just got a new BenII. It is one of the most comfortable helmets I've ever owned. It was also not priced beyond my budget range.

Comment

Originally posted by MeasterBFD
                        I don't like having my goggles on my helmet they just do not fit right. I know where you are coming from however. I think I will keep them in my pocket.
                        I have the same image problem. That is why I purchased ESS Extricator goggles. They clip on and off the helmet easy as pie.

*Mark
                        FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Comment

I bought a 1010 with bourkes.

Comment

good choice

the 1010 is a very good helmet, it's durable ,pretty light and fits rather well...I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Comment

Re: good choice

Originally posted by 46Truck
                              the 1010 is a very good helmet, it's durable ,pretty light and fits rather well...I don't think you'll be dissapointed.
                              It has been close to 2 months since I joined. I have a 660 Metro but I figure the 1010 will be good for now and when I go for FF1.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X