This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Cad mapping

We just received a auto cad digital map of our city including hydrant locations. We are trying to make 8 1/2 x 11 pages for our map books inour trucks. Does anyone know of a good way to simply pick a area and have it print the full 8 1/2 x 11 page? We can only get it to print on part of the page. Thanks for any help. Our old books were drawn by hand and are outdated.

what format is the digital map saved in? Also be careful with color maps we have several with red lines for main roads and the interior lights on the truck are red....Makes the red roads invisible!

Comment

Hiya Tony
      If you want it full scale...you can always draw 8.5x11" rectangles, and divide it off like a grid...and when you plot...select the uppper left and lower right corners with a window...that should work...i have autocad 2000 here but not exactly sure how it would work out

adam

Comment

Since I cannot get an electronic copy of our town map, I am working off of a printed copy to do the same thing you are trying to do.

I have divided the map into sections and I take a picture of each section with my digital camera, save it and print it on 8.5 x 11 paper. It is then laminated and put in a binder. The good thing with laminating is that dry erase markers and grease pencils can be used to mark O of S hydrants, road const. etc and be erased when no longer needed.

Of course this is all temporary since we are working on installing a computer in each unit, but at our town's rate, I am keeping my printed maps ready

Comment

The file is saved in a dwg format if believe. Also we have done the 8.5 x 11 box and it works with the exception of why I originally posted the question which I failed to tell you. Some of areas on the map will not fit with the 8.5 x 11 box idea. Can you pick a larger area than that and have it scaled to fit on the entire paper? Thanks again.

Comment

I was just curious how you obtained the digital files of your area. Secondly, and a more general question: Our station is getting ready to redevelope some of our maps. Currently we have electronic files in Desingcad. I have been able to convert these files to AutoCAD 2000, but do not feel this program is best suited for our needs. Does anyone have any suggestions for alternate mapping programs?

Comment

We are part of local government. Our city engineering department has all of there road maps,water mains, sewer mains, cable tv, and electric on digital format.

Comment

Anthony:
                It sounds like a paper area (8.5x11) verses scale difference. In other words, if you are "boxing" an area that, when printed to scale, does not fit within the sheet size. There are many ways to skin this cat. I am not an AutoCad user, although I use CAD everyday in mapping applications.
                Ask the engineering dept to turn on/off layers you would be interested in and have them print the sheets. Local govt depts should be able to work together. They'll be able to bang those out for you in no time.
                There are several solutions, it's a matter of how much time you want to spend learning how to do so.

Comment

Some questions 1st. What software are you using & if its autocad what version-what version is the dwg file? I use autocad all the time and have made map books for both the dept I serve and the city I work for. Plotting is about the hardest thing to do with autocad. There are several ways to achieve your goal. Email me your phone # with a good time to talk to you and I'll be happy to walk you through it. If worse comes to worse you could send me a copy of the file and I'd plot it for you.
                  John DuCharme
                  Vadnais Heights Fire
                  [email protected]

Comment

Hey FDFPE12108
                    AutoCad is as good as it gets..... Don't worry Nate, I'll help you!!!!! Remember that if you ever get a drawing from a city or town, or a site plan from an architect....it will most likely already be in AutoCAD. All ya gotta do is drop in on the new map you making. AutoCAD FOREVER!!!!!!! Wha hoooooooo!!!!!!!!
                    Love,
                    Tick

Comment

I recently began making maps for our district. I'm using Visio 2000, and once you get used to the program it works great. You can get "fire related" shapes (hydrants, FDC's, etc.) from a program called Firefile (I think), which is basically clipart that can be loaded into Visio. So far I've got all our apartment complexes mapped out. From there I'm going to hit all our gated subdivisions, commercial buildings, and eventually hope to get all of our streets mapped out. Some of our neighboring depts have been using Visio for mapping for quite some time, and it seems to work well. Fairly easy to make changes, too.
                      These are my opinions and not those of the organizations for which I work and/or volunteer.

Comment

My brother... I myself don't know how to do it as of yet because I just began working with AutoCadLT97 in school.... But I will be more than happy to find out for you and give you an answer within the next couple of days... Just sit tight... My teacher is the AutoCad master and architect so he knows all about this... I'll get an answer to you if possible by tomorrow night.... Stay safe and low....

Adam Spencer
                        Cadet Firefighter/First Responder
                        Nixa Fire District
                        Nixa MO 65714

Comment

A couple ways to solve this problem. First zoom to the area you want to print and then in the print dialog box select print display. Also change from a 1 to 1 scale to Scale to fit. The second solution is in the Print dialog box select window and it will allow you to windo what you want printed and again change the scale from 1 to 1 to Scale to fit. All versions of AutoCAD and ACLT have these options some are just harder to find then others.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X