This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Show "The Bravest" and face/eye Shields

The FDNY is a great fire department, but has anyone noticed that face/eye shields are rarely used on the show? Some are even so black you can't see through them. I have always been told and have always practiced, using face/eye protection when shooting water (unless your just dumping water into a fully involved structure or something). Yeah it's annoying because you can't see quite as well, but it's not worth risking my eye sight. Just a pet peeve of mine to see so many excellent firemen that may go blind due to carelessness.

[quote]Originally posted by Jedimike007:
    The FDNY is a great fire department, but has anyone noticed that face/eye shields are rarely used on the show? Some are even so black you can't see through them. I have always been told and have always practiced, using face/eye protection when shooting water (unless your just dumping water into a fully involved structure or something). Yeah it's annoying because you can't see quite as well, but it's not worth risking my eye sight. Just a pet peeve of mine to see so many excellent firemen that may go blind due to carelessness.

Obiviously you feel that a facepeice isn't enough?
    Doc DC3<br />ex FDNY (E74)

Comment

I never gave it much thought. My eye shields are pretty smoked up so I couldn't see through them if I wanted to. As far as eye protection, i have glasses and goggles in my gear bag that I keep on my apparatus if i need them for extrication or while cutting something, but as far as flowing water i usually have my mask on at a structure fire. How many firefighters do you know that have been blinded while flowing water without eye protection?? I know of none.

Comment

Blinding by water?

Simple solution: Don't point the nozzle at your face!
        IACOJ Agitator
        Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Comment

Excellent point Adze. I think the point here is anyone can watch a taped show or a video tape of another fire department and monday morning quarterback about things that guys/gals do, or tactical decisions that were made. (no comment on which Bravest location that was. Still can't figure out what the strategy was behind some venitlation decisions.) If you ever want to really comment on a department's actions. Get a couple of people to video tape your depts. next fire, and see how much you could find and change.
          If water blinds, guess we should wear face shields in the shower too then huh? Same as when you are overhauling, I wear borque's also, and yes they are black. Just like the shield on the metro I used for a while in Virginia, black. If I'm pulling a ceiling, its pretty easy, I just don't look up by tilting my head, I use my eyes.

--------------------------------------------------
          The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflecet that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

Comment

Jedimike007,

Thats life in the big city homeboy, city guys do it a little different. Next thing you know you will be bitching about them not clicking in their waist strap on their scba's or not rolling off of the truck with face piece in place breathing air and not having thier hood perfectly tucked into their coat. Which reminds me I need to look for my hood I think I saw it about 6 years ago somewhere in my locker.
            Go raibh maith agat Go gcuire Dia an t-ádh ort! Dyfal donc a dyrr y garreg!!!!!

IN MEMORY OF THE "MOOSE" 1974-2002<br />Ni bheidh mo leitheid ar'ris ann.

Brothers till the end. "If they don't have GUINNESS in heaven we aint goin!"

Comment

Uhhh...last time I took a shower the water pressure wasn't that of a 1.5 or 2.5 handline.

If, and I do stress if, you took a direct stream to the eyes, it would do damage.

Also, I have also noticed the same thing with some departments, especially when doing overhaul. They are pulling ceilings down with no eye protection (and no, they are packed up either).

Comment

Hey, UnionProud........You actually WEAR an SCBA????!!!!!

That's right Brother's, Big City Life....It ain't your Sunday walk in the park!
                FTM - PTB

Comment

Geez guys! Calm down, it's not that big a deal to get so ticked off over.

As far as water pressure goes, have you ever seen the pressure from a hose blow debris everywhere? The particular episode I saw showed a firemen (and an officer I believe), stright stream a car fire in the trunk. They were 4 feet from the car.

Union, who said city firemen are allowed to have a lower safety standard?

Comment

51Truck_K,

Yeah brother sometimes I actually knock the dust off of it and put the boat anchor on.

And Jedimike007,
                    No one says the safety standard is lower, its the way we do it, our tactics are ours. Ride in a big city one day and you will see the light. You dont always need an scba or eye protection.
                    Go raibh maith agat Go gcuire Dia an t-ádh ort! Dyfal donc a dyrr y garreg!!!!!

IN MEMORY OF THE "MOOSE" 1974-2002<br />Ni bheidh mo leitheid ar'ris ann.

Brothers till the end. "If they don't have GUINNESS in heaven we aint goin!"

Comment

Fact of the matter is: Firefighters DO need eye protection, using partner saws, overhauling, sometimes in line use, chainsaw use, etc.....however the Bourke Eyesheilds are no only unsatidfactory, their an out and out pain in the butt. In FDNY if your injured in the eye area and weren't using sheilds, your subject to charges (disciplinary action)......That being said, until they come up with an improvement that stays in place, is easy to clean.......most will call their own safety shots on what not to do.
                      "All gave some...Some gave all!"
                      9/11/01 Lest we forget!
                      FDNYRR

Comment

RR, you are right, I didn't say they were the best or worst. But a lot of it does come down to common sense and/or experience. And the amount does come from the area that you work/serve. Taking a direct stream to the eyes could cause an injury. But it should be okay if you don't stick your face in it, or clown around like I've seen guys do. Next point, and yes your right things can fly around when you hit it with the stream. Now if your standing on the other side of the car from where the stream is being worked. Then you deserve to be wet and get hit with something. Next point, I overhaul all the time, not breathing air. I have my back on sometimes if I just finished doing something else and began overhaul. But often we take them off afterwards to lighten up a little. With the windows out, sometimes a fan running, there should be enough oxygen in the air. Plus we often run the CO detector through to check on it. You can't haul around a air pack all the time, or else you'll be twice as worn out at the next job. Again, don't tilt you head up when your pulling it. Just look up with your eyes when you pull the pike pole down. Or just pull it looking straight ahead. When the hunks of whatever start pulling your instinct is to put you head slightly down so your helmet takes the brunt. If you rely on that piece of non-safety rated plastic to protect your eyes. Your a brave man. I've had more crack from being hit with things in the up position then I can remember.

------------------------------------------------
                        THe above is my opinin only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, and am a member of.

Comment

Our department stopped using faceshields because we destroy them so much. We are issued saftey glasses and goggles. I believe face shields are a waste on helmets because one fire and they are destroyed. Also take a good look at one do they really protect your eyes? Look at the gap between your face. Glasses and goggles work so much better.

Comment

Your department, must be an exterior firefighting dpet. only. I dont know to many people that wear eye protection with a face mask on. Anyone else agree?

Comment

Well trash I think he was talking about the way they open up buildings.Yes I saw where they were working on a metal roll up door and he had his bourkes up.But to get off FDNY here how about the next episode where they show guys from San Fran riding in an open top truck(NFPA and OSHA may not like it but I thought SCHWEEEEEEET!)Or one guy venting with his helmet off and as soon as someone noticed the camera rolling they placed it on his head We all do it different Nuff said about that

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X