This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE "REAL" PGFD

It is with sadness that I report that the story that is represented in Dr. Carter's column is my story and the Department is the Prince George's County Fire Department. The facts are true and accurate. The story is sad. The leadership of the department has taken the stance that humanitarian efforts are secondary to whatever business they feel is more important. My 18 month old daughter will be severly affected by the department's decision to change my shift as her therapeutic needs are dependent upon either my wife or me being available for the session and then continuing the therapy throughout the day. It is a sad but true commentary that is revealed about this once proud department. The day when we were all looking out for each other and ensuring a safe and healthy workplace that extended to making sure we were all OK at home as well is over. Please feel free to email me with questions or if you want more information. Please say some prayers for me and my family. We need all the help we can get.

Keep the faith Steve. Fight the good fight.

Comment

Although I am unfamiliar with your story, I hope you can accept my condolences, and best wishes.

Respectfully,

Volker

Comment

PGFD44,

After seeing your post and reading your story, my heart goes out to you.

I am also a parent of a child with special needs, although my sons needs are not as severe as your daughters. Being that my husband is active-duty military I shoulder the responsibilities of doctor appts, therapy, insurance battles. etc, as well as taking care of 2 other children and the household. I commend you for taking a stand and wanting to be there for your family when you are needed. So many people run in the other direction when faced with a struggle like this.You and your wife will find strength within yourselves that you never knew you had.

I am thankful that you have support of so many in your community and I think you will find many supporters on this forum also. I also hope that you can be switiched to the shift that will be beneficial to your family. From what I understand after reading the article on you, its not like you are trying to get out of your duties.

Continue to keep your daughters care as your priority and walk hand in hand with your wife through this. You will be amazed at what your love will do for your daughter.

My thoughts are with you and your family, and I hope all goes well.

Take care and stay safe.

Lady.
        "Let every nation know..that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty"---JFK, Jan.1961

Comment

pgfd44:

I have lived in PG county for the past 45 years. I am well aware of the lengths to which our politicians will go to avoid negative media attention. I think Harry Carter is right on track with his comments about MDA and the IAFF relationship with this great organization.

I would contact the district rep for MDA and discuss your situation with her. PGFD has sponsored the IAFF/MDA Softball Championship for the past 26 years, and the relationship between PGFD and MDA has been rock-solid. You have tried to take the high road to resolve your problem, and it has not worked. Now you should press the issue.

Remember, the media can be an asset. Don't hesitate to use them. With the campaign season just around the corner, the timing might work to your advantage.

Whatever the resolution of your work schedule, my family and I will keep your family in our prayers.

Comment

Brother pgfd44,

How can we help? Is there an address we can write to to voice our disgust? Say the word, give the address and it's done. Until then Brother I'll throw a few more prayers toward the sky with you and your family in mind.
            Go raibh maith agat Go gcuire Dia an t-ádh ort! Dyfal donc a dyrr y garreg!!!!!

IN MEMORY OF THE "MOOSE" 1974-2002<br />Ni bheidh mo leitheid ar'ris ann.

Brothers till the end. "If they don't have GUINNESS in heaven we aint goin!"

Comment

Steve,
              Now that your story is getting national attention perhaps the misguided souls who run your department will become enlightened and see the error of their ways.
              Either way, you get my full respect for your unyielding dedication to your family. I don't need to tell you you're doing the right thing by fighting this thing tooth and nail.
              Keep the faith brother and don't forget, FTM-PTB!
              "Go ugly early."

Comment

I just read Harry Carter's article and thought the story might be taking place here, given some of his clues.

You need not worry that you might sound like a whiner or someone who is trying to get over. I've spent fourteen years in the Army and totally agree with Dr. Carter that this a lack of leadership. You are willing to work within the parameters of the job and not asking much, and you can't be accomodated.

Stay strong and use every means at your disposal to overcome this. I wish you and your family the best. Take care and be safe.
                Phil Clinard
                Laurel VFD
                Prince George's Co Sta 10
                Laurel, MD
                www.laurelvfd.org

Comment

I feel a need to keep this post going. So, now that I've replied, it's back on page 1!
                  "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
                  -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Comment

Keep the FAITH!!! That is all I can say. My daughter suffered an anoxic brain injury in September, just after I recieved a promotion at work. We are finally home with her, and the therapies and doctors appointments are crazy. It is amazing how dramatic things with your children can affect your career, but all you can do is ask for help, keep praying, and do what you feel is best for your family.

May God bless you and yours,
                    Discount Fire Helmets | IAFF 3303

Comment

Where can I find this article?
                      FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Comment

Mark,
                        Article is located on the index or front page of this website, under "Columns and Features"

Comment

Might I suggest a copy of the article sent to this ogre, as well as one to the local press..........and City Council?

My prayers are with you and your family.
                          IACOJ

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X