Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen the reference, it's in the same book that says if you don't put a structure fire out with the first 250 gallons it's going to the ground...

Comment

Firebartman: I appreciate the fact that your looking for a source of the ongoing quote of fire doubling in size every ..?..seconds.

Confident that it was not directly written anywere I chose not to look any further for the answer to your question.....until reading numerous responses!

I think the best source of information relating to your question can be found on page 1-27 and 1-28 of the 17th Edition of the NFPA Fire Protection Handbook. This probably provides the clearest explanation why there is not a single number that could apply.

What I found the most interesting in that section was the discusion relating to fire growth to the ceiling.

"Different rooms pose different levels of risk regarding the likelihood of reaching full room involvement and the time in which fire development takes place. The factors in Table 1-2B provide a general guide to the important types of factors. If one were to focus on a single event that might be used to represent the relative level of risk posed by the contents and interior finish in a room, it would be the ability of flames to reach the ceiling. The arrangement of contents and types of fuels where it would be difficult for fire to grow to touch the ceiling pose a relatively low fire growth hazard potential. On the other hand, where funiture conbustibility and density will allow a fire to develop to ceiling height, or when combustible interior finish is present, the fire growth hazard potential usually is comparatively high."

Again, the above quote is from the NFPA 17th Edition of the Fire Protection Handbook.

Although it still does not provide you with a source to the quote you mention, I do hope the info helps.

------------------
      Kirk Allen
      First Strike Technologies, Inc

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse