X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dwkco2
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2002

We've had them at work for about 2 months. Even though we're a VERY large company, and deployed dozens of devices with potential for more, Nextel has been quite unresponsive as far as service, correcting service plans/features, training, etc.
    Service is spotty. When keying the direct connect feature, it can take a long time before hearing the tone that denotes that you can talk.
    That said, the calls are pretty clear.
    In the vol dept I run with, we use hiband radios that run forever. Neighboring cities have a trunked system that I think works much better as far as using a private channel, etc.

Comment

• FIREFLY2420
      MembersZone Subscriber
      • Nov 2000

F52 Westside,

Has your department contacted anybody in reguards to sales. Please contact me via email. I would like to know what department you are from. I am trying to work out a deal for municipalities. Thanks again.
      Andrew J. LaPrise

Comment

• mdepas3280
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2001

I work for Nextel, the product is a great little invention, with that being said here is my sale pitch to fire dept and police dept that are in my sales area. These cell phones and they are cell phones are a great addition to your bag of tricks. they can be used for haz-mat because we sell intrinsiclly safe phone models ,they can be used when you want a secure line and they have some value when a mutial aid dept doesn't have the same radio freq has you but they have a phone. These phones do have some limitation, coverage is one of those that would have to be considered, but a good salemen wouldn't try to sell one of these if the coverage was not there, if you were insterested in the phones ask the sale rep to use the phones for a week or two. If you have the coverage then these phones are the cats *** but that just my opinion
        IACOJ Membership 2002
        {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Comment

• FIREFLY2420
          MembersZone Subscriber
          • Nov 2000

mdepas3280,

Since you work for Nextel maybe you can help me out and give me some pointers. Being new at this and all I could use all the help I can get. Are you a salesman? E-mail me using the link on my posting. If it does not work you can e-mail me at [email protected] .
          Andrew J. LaPrise

Comment

• BTFD11-19
            Forum Member
            • May 2000

I VOLUNTEER IN BUCKS COUNTY PA, 2 YEARS AGO OUR COUNTY BEGAN THE SWITCH TO MOTOROLA DIGITAL RADIOS. EVEN THOUGH WE DO NOT USE NEXTELS FOR EMERGENCY SERVICES USE, I CAN TELL YOU THAT NEXTELS ARE MADE BY THE SAME MANUFACTURER AS OUR LATEST AND GREASTEST RADIO SYSTEM, AND THAT NEXTEL SYSTEM IS ALOT MORE RELIABLE THAN OUR COUNTY RADIO SYSTEM. I GUESS MOTOROLA PUTS MORE EFFORT INTO SOMETHING THEY WANT TO SELL TOMORROW RATHER THAN SOMETHING THEY CAN ONLY SELL TO A WHOLE COUNTY ABOUT ONCE EVERY TEN OR SO YEARS.
            "2 IN, 2 OUT, ALWAYS!!!"

Comment

• Tw93Andrew93
              Forum Member
              • Aug 2001

You got that right BTFD11-19

Comment

• st34ff
                Forum Member
                • Apr 1999

We have some of the Nextels in our two ambulance and our chief and rescue and our one van. Plus, most of the members of the company have them with their work. With the new ablility to cross-talk with anyone else in our area, they are great for quick questions, or what have you. It also keeps non-emergancy traffic off of our high quality digital radios we use in my county. They have their place.

Kyle
                Kyle
                www.chalfontfireco.com

Comment

• TruroFAO
                  Forum Member
                  • Jun 2000

FIREFLY, depas:

Neither of you have answered the questions I posed to you.

To depas: I again argue that the 2-way feature is NOT private. You're welcome to visit our dispatch office any time you like and I'd be happy to have you listen to several 2-way conversations that we hear over the local PD frequency. It's well proven that no electronic device is above monitoring.

As for Haz-Mat situations, we should treat the Nextel as any other radio. Believe it or not, even the mighty Nextel OPERATES ON A FREQUENCY- any of which could aggrivate the situation.

And any thoughts on why your company wont work with APCO and the government on keeping Nextels off public safety frequencies? HRM.
                  My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

Comment

• kfd26710
                    Forum Member
                    • Jan 2002

I don't know about you guys. But we use a 800 mhz trunked system by Motorolla and it is great. (Compared to our old VHF repeater that is now out of service.) I saw a couple of posts that do not like the 800's. They are doig great here. The only time we ever have any problems is if we go into the subbasement of the hospital, then we have a problem getting out. But it was the same and even worse with the old VHF system. Range wise.... We have been traveling out of town and picked up our engines over 100 miles +. Not too bad for a moutainous region....Don't you think?
                    Nextels on the other hand....We don't use them, I personally think they are for construction workers and traveling jobs. Not really a good idea for the fire service...Remember this is just my opinion, everyone has one. Have a good people.
                    IAFF Local 2270

Comment

• FIREFLY2420
                      MembersZone Subscriber
                      • Nov 2000

TruroFAO,

I'm sorry I wish I had an answer for you. This is all new for me. I have used Nextels for some time now and I have never heard of that problem of bleedover. I know that if you put a Nextel phone next to a speaker of any kind it interfears with it, but I have never heard any bleedover of my conversation or anybody elses. I will ask around and see if I can come up with anything. Thanks for your post.
                      Andrew J. LaPrise

Comment

• F52 Westside
                        MembersZone Subscriber
                        • Jul 2000

I also have not heard of bleedover either. I have heard that the Feds don't like Nextels for the very fact that you cannot track the 2 way feature. I think it was taught in a Fire Investigation class, a friend took.

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: F52 Westside ]

Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
                        Eddie C.
                        I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Comment

• FIREFLY2420
                          MembersZone Subscriber
                          • Nov 2000

F52 Westside,

Hey, Thanks for the email. I tried to email you back and it tells me that your email is unknown. I just wanted to tell you that if you know of any guys/gals on your department or personal friends that are looking to get Nextel. I will beat any Nextel Dealer written quote. Please feel free to give them my email address and phone number.

Email: [email protected]
                          Cell: (248)249-5509

Thanks again and keep in touch.
                          Andrew J. LaPrise

Comment

• TruckCo133
                            Forum Member
                            • Jan 2002

Nextel phones seem to be really booming in Pennsylvania. Our Engine, Ambulance, Chief, Asst. Chief, Res-Q Captain, Truck Captain, Ambulance Capt.'s, President, Vice, Secretary, Treasurer as well as most members of the fire dept and ambulance association have nextel phones. They really seem to come in handy to let people know whats going on. We could be sitting in the station and get in touch with anyone from the company with the direct connect feature. I really like this technology and stand behind it.

Comment

• mdepas3280
                              Forum Member
                              • Mar 2001

Nextel Phones are conciderd to be 99.99% secure they can not be recorded through an in line recorder. Has for the bleed over problem they will cause other electronic equipment to churp or act funny when talking on them. Now the last question reguarding fire service freq, Nextel purchased and now owns large blocks of the 900mgz- 1300mgz so that they can expand the system. Agian I remind everyone that this is just an additional tool and should not be your sole communcation.
                              IACOJ Membership 2002
                              {15}

Mike IAFF

Comment

• mdepas3280
                                Forum Member
                                • Mar 2001

Nextel Phones are conciderd to be 99.99% secure they can not be recorded through an in line recorder. Has for the bleed over problem they will cause other electronic equipment to churp or act funny when talking on them. Now the last question reguarding fire service freq, Nextel purchased and now owns large blocks of the 900mgz- 1300mgz so that they can expand the system. Agian I remind everyone that this is just an additional tool and should not be your sole communcation.
                                IACOJ Membership 2002
                                {15}

Mike IAFF

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...