Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chief Officers wearing turnouts on the scene?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief Officers wearing turnouts on the scene?

I have been to many fire scenes in the last couple of years and I have noticed that many times the chiefs aren't wearing turnout gear. Usually it can be seen hanging up in the back of thier Suburbans and they can be found wandering around the scene, sometimes even standing on the front porch of the fire buildng, without even so much as a helmet on. I was wondering if anyone has seen this and what thier thoughts are. I for one feel that even though that chief will probably not have to go into that house, the fire scene is of course dangerous and turnouts should be worn. Do you all ever see chiefs with no gear on commanding a scene?

Our department does this on occassion too. Our one safety officer (we have two) usually has not problem telling our Chief to get his gear on. Our Asst. and our Captain are both interior guys so they are usually in gear and inside at a house fire..however, sometimes on highway calls and stuff they don't have their gear on. Our Captain almost always wears his gear. We have gotten better about this recently...most likely it will take someone getting hurt before people realize just how dangerous our job can be...I am very safe at calls and am surprised at how lax some of the other guys are about things. Like they think they are invincible or something...I know better.
    Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Comment

Yes I see It too often leading by example starts at the top how do you speak to a ff about PPE when command ignores it I've made ff's leave the scene until they are dressed properly. If the chief won't wear his gear then how can you inforce the rules.Plainly put its poor leadership
      Try complaining about some fictional ff and make coments like where do they get the idea they don't need gear? Good luck
      J.B.WEIR
      Summerville Vol Fire Dept
      Pride In Service !

Comment

i have seen this many time at the scene. then at the meeting the cheif is the first one to say somthing about everyone else wearing thier turnout gear. they should lookat what they are saying.
        well hopefully attending hocking college soon for firefighting and emt so i hope to be on a full time dept soon.

Comment

(first off...not sure what that face was....)

Our chiefs normally always have their gear on...the only occasions they dont is when they have to run the truck due to lack of personnel. we have more problems with guys wearing just boots and a coat and hat, or just pants and a hat, or whatever, the line officers normally are not a problem

Comment

If I am first arrving on the scene of an MVA I will go and asses victims and do a quick triage if there are mulitple victims and vehicles. Once I do that and give the incoming units their assignements I will go and put it on. On the fire scene I will once again always have it on after a quick size up. I do beleve that it is a good thing to wear and we do make our members and officers accountable for not having it on.
            IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
            Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
            ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
            RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
            LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
            I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
            "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
            http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Why is it important to have interior firefighter protective equipment on if you're standing in the street? I can see a helmet and reflective vest being a good idea, but I think bunker coats and bunker pants are unnecessary.

Comment

Daysleeper, you've hit on one of my pet peeves.

It seems where I'm a volunteer that it's the "in" thing for the Chief or command officer to wear as little fire department clothing as possible. When it's volunteer departments you are talking about, that means there is no way of telling that the person is even a member of the fire department except for the portable radio they are carrying around! In my earlier years in the fire service, I was on a fire department while in college that had a simple rule: EVERYONE had to have on some type of gear to identify themselves as a firefighter, even if it is only a helmet.(makes sense to me!)

I have been on many incidents over the past few years where incident command has been established and the command officer is wearing no gear or anything else to identify himself as a fire department official - if it a serious enough situation to establish command, wouldn't you think that he should at least put on the "Incident Commander" vest or something!?

Now, when you are talking about actually being in and around the fire scene (or other incident) it makes no sense to me that some people don't care to take the time to wear the proper protective equipment - doesn't matter if it's a Chief or a line officer or a 'back-step' firefighter (now I'm dating myself - been quite a while since we rode on the back step). I always try to have the proper protective equipment for the scene/location that I'm in - that way, if I get injured, when the question is asked of me (and it WILL be), "was all the proper protective clothing being worn at the time of the injury?", I can answer in the affirmative. Cover your behind.
                - Remember our brothers in FDNY -

Comment

Gah, fyreman answered your question in the last 6 lines of his post.
                  FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Comment

our chief wheres his bunker pants and boots and white helmet at the scene, as ic he stands back from the dangers and does his job,if for some reason he must participate hes got his bunker jacket in the tahoe, on top of a backup jacket and pants and boots. when he responds to station to make sure we have suffecient manpower he wears his pants if driving or puts on his gear thats inside the station if riding officer or the back.
                    Thanks,
                    Scottie Schmidt JR (junior fire fighter

Comment

this is a problem in my book. Everyone on the scene(unless they are hurt) are in full gear.I hate those guys just think that they have power that safety issues don't apply to them.
                      I'd not saying not only this is a safety issue plus it's setting an example.

Comment

Lead by example....Wear it
                        09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
                        ------------------------------
                        IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
                        "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
                        BMI Investigator
                        ------------------------------
                        The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

Okay, if I'm up and awake then everyone needs to be up and awake too, or maybe I should say if I'm wearing my bunker gear....
                          Come on, our gear doesn't have a vapor barrier just to identify you, it is to protect you. Wear it when your in or around the fireground, but it does little good in the command post. However, safety and sector officers should be bunked out along with anyone entering the fireground.
                          We've all seem them, whites shirts on scene without any gear, and all I can say is safety aint doing their job! If you call them on it most will gladly gear up.
                          "It's not surprising, but it's a shame"

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts"
                          -A. Einstein

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."
                          - Plato -

Comment

RORY

you hit on the head If I am up than everyone else is going to be also.
                            same goes for PPE if I must have mine on then everyone else does also that is the SOP's of the department if you don't follow it don't show up!!!

It is common to find the DC wearing a SCBA on a working fire, in the early stages.

Just my $.02
                            wsfiremn
                            Member IACOJ
                            FTM PTB FSU EGH RFB 9-11
                            Double Duece
                            PROUD MEMBER
                            FOOLS INTERNATIONAL

Comment

Sometimes I think they believe the portable radio offers them a magic shield that will protect them from harm.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X