This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Your right. The bottom line is "if" something happens. If we think that it can't happen to us, we have no business out on the road in a 30,000 lb. truck running emergency traffic. The laws are often vague, but TX laws grants "specific exemption" only to those vehicle using approved visible AND audible warning equipment. That's all I need to hear. Besides the laws, what about the standards of the industry? In the event of an accident, a jury will decide whether you were right or wrong. Regardless of what the law says, if a nationally recognized standard (NFPA for example) says something, I'd better abide by it to the best of my ability. An apparatus operator in my dept. was recently asked if he came to a complete stop before being involved in a accident where a woman "failed to yield right of way." When he answered "no," he was also issued a citation for failure to yield right of way! If the standards and/or laws say all or nothing, then that's what I go by to cover myself while driving. If the siren isn't needed, then the lights aren't needed. It only causes confusion and puts you in an awkward situation when that idiot slams you at an intersection!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I use the Sire and Lights all the time.
    My State (Maryland) requires the usage of lights and siren together. That does not mean that I can wind the FQ2B a little and let it wind down to a dull roar, then slightly wid it up some more.
    But I do not want to get hanged because someone pulled out in front of me and I did not have my siren on. It is not worth it. The law is plain and simple!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Here, we are lights and sirens or nothing according to our law (Wisconsin)

I personnally have a problem with the idea for only one reason, only one exception. If we are in the Ambulance with a Cardiac patient, I feel it is warranted to use the siren as neccessary when ANY traffic is around, but to be off as soon as no one is near. Someone who is having the Big One tends to crash harder and quicker when the siren is going IMHO

Jim

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I dont live in the same district that I work for. The medics where I live are contracted,
    they run sirens at all hours. I hate being woke up at 2 or 3 in the morning when I'm off duty. Fire here doesnt' do it. They excersise caution. I personally at work dont
    see the need for sirens from station to destination when there are no cars on the road to be seen. At night your beacons can be seen better than during the day. Dont' get me wrong, I know where the siren switch and the
    air horn are. But I dont think its cool waking the entire city up too. There are a lot of curious people in the world today who are willing to get in thier cars and follow the lights and sirens so they can rubberneck
    at the scene creating congestion for the second and third in units.

[This message has been edited by snowball (edited 03-12-2001).]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    In my dept. during the late night and early morning hours we will run lights only to a call, unless we come upon traffic or a dangerous intersection or curve. The reason we run lights is so the other follow on companies can see where we are. Plus that amber light that we are required to have on the back cuts through fog much better than the reds and whites. So basicly the only reason we run lights at night is to help the other units keep track of where everybody is at. After all if you are going to a call at 3am, take a sharp curve too fast and roll over down an enbankment, and you do not have your lights on, what are the chances that a follow on unit will notice you are missing you untill they get to the scene.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    If i gotta be up at night so should everyone else. and you never know when a car will come from a side street.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Lewiston2Capt:
    I think there is some confusion between the NYS V&T laws and the NYS DOH directive on EVOC for ambulances. The DOH states that if the lights are on, and they should only be on if you are transporting a unstable or critical patient, then the siren is on as well. So far as I know this does not apply to Fire Apparatus, only ambulances. I am not sure how I feel about this issue. I guess if the traffic is light and it is o'dark thirty use common sense. But if there are people on the roads and you have your lights on you should be letting them know that you are coming with your sirens as well.

This is my opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my department.

I would ***-u-me that any directive from the NYS DOH (New York State Department Of Health) would be a directive that pertains to ambulances and not to firetrucks.
    There was asection in the V&T laws that referenced ambulances. I will check that at another time. I only researched what I did, to counteract a very generalized statement, and that poster did use the words NYS Law, so I went to the V&T laws, not to directives from the Department Of Health.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    We use the lights and sirens on all runs, regardless of the time of day or night. In Texas there is no such thing as Code Two for fire vehicles. We have a lot of late-night joggers in our area and they usually run in the street. We have recieved complaints about our air raid siren, usually from people across the creek from it in the next city, but our own citizens never have a problem with it once we explain it to them.

------------------
    Be safe.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Turk... Not to pick on you, but how can a driver be in "complete control" of a vehicle if a hand must be removed from the wheel to sound a siren or air horn (especially considering the size, weight, and slow responses to driver input that some apparatus have)? Not trying to preach, just a thought...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I think there is some confusion between the NYS V&T laws and the NYS DOH directive on EVOC for ambulances. The DOH states that if the lights are on, and they should only be on if you are transporting a unstable or critical patient, then the siren is on as well. So far as I know this does not apply to Fire Apparatus, only ambulances. I am not sure how I feel about this issue. I guess if the traffic is light and it is o'dark thirty use common sense. But if there are people on the roads and you have your lights on you should be letting them know that you are coming with your sirens as well.

This is my opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my department.

------------------
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Captain
    Lewiston Fire Co. No. 2

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by BayRidge60:
    New York State law says that when your lights are on, your siren is on.

Umm, just which section, sub-section and paragraph of the NYS V&T laws are you referring to that states this?

Is that your final answer or would you like to phone a friend.

The law actually states that you must sound "as may be reasonably necessary".

Article 23, section S1104c

(c) Except for an authorized emergency vehicle operated as a police
    vehicle or bicycle, the exemptions herein granted to an authorized emer-
    gency vehicle shall apply only when audible signals are sounded from any
    said vehicle while in motion by bell, horn, siren, electronic device or
    exhaust whistle as may be reasonably necessary, and when the vehicle is
    equipped with at least one lighted lamp so that from any direction,
    under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of five hundred feet
    from such vehicle, at least one red light will be displayed and visible.

You can read the whole section here
    http://assembly.state.ny.us/cgi-bin/...law=128&art=47

A little research goes a long way.

[This message has been edited by iwood51 (edited 02-05-2001).]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Comming out of our remote house, we hit the lights which are extremely substancial...when we approach an intersection the electronic siren gets hit a few times and we roll on through.

After midnight we do not use the Q (or federal depending on where your from) because it takes them too long to wind down.

See yall at the Big one...

------------------
    Rescue Squad #2
    "First In ~ Last Out"

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    My home is a very rural area. In that situation, we go lights only at 0200, but at college ( in a large urban area ) sirens all the time.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I think that the main thing is to stay calm when responding to calls. Just use some COMMON SENSE. We all want to get there as safely and as quickly as possible!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Here in the middle of the night, the only reason we set our siren off if it's a reported structure fire, or if we are ahving a manpower problem. As for the truck sirens, there are some businesses on the main drag thru town that if they are still open, we'll use the truck sirens. Otherwise, it's a silent run out to the highway.

------------------
    JMK271
    ***Stay safe out there***
    ***These opinion(s) are my own, and not that of the department in which I serve***

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X