Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont live in the same district that I work for. The medics where I live are contracted,
    they run sirens at all hours. I hate being woke up at 2 or 3 in the morning when I'm off duty. Fire here doesnt' do it. They excersise caution. I personally at work dont
    see the need for sirens from station to destination when there are no cars on the road to be seen. At night your beacons can be seen better than during the day. Dont' get me wrong, I know where the siren switch and the
    air horn are. But I dont think its cool waking the entire city up too. There are a lot of curious people in the world today who are willing to get in thier cars and follow the lights and sirens so they can rubberneck
    at the scene creating congestion for the second and third in units.

[This message has been edited by snowball (edited 03-12-2001).]

Comment

Here, we are lights and sirens or nothing according to our law (Wisconsin)

I personnally have a problem with the idea for only one reason, only one exception. If we are in the Ambulance with a Cardiac patient, I feel it is warranted to use the siren as neccessary when ANY traffic is around, but to be off as soon as no one is near. Someone who is having the Big One tends to crash harder and quicker when the siren is going IMHO

Jim

Comment

I use the Sire and Lights all the time.
        My State (Maryland) requires the usage of lights and siren together. That does not mean that I can wind the FQ2B a little and let it wind down to a dull roar, then slightly wid it up some more.
        But I do not want to get hanged because someone pulled out in front of me and I did not have my siren on. It is not worth it. The law is plain and simple!

Comment

Your right. The bottom line is "if" something happens. If we think that it can't happen to us, we have no business out on the road in a 30,000 lb. truck running emergency traffic. The laws are often vague, but TX laws grants "specific exemption" only to those vehicle using approved visible AND audible warning equipment. That's all I need to hear. Besides the laws, what about the standards of the industry? In the event of an accident, a jury will decide whether you were right or wrong. Regardless of what the law says, if a nationally recognized standard (NFPA for example) says something, I'd better abide by it to the best of my ability. An apparatus operator in my dept. was recently asked if he came to a complete stop before being involved in a accident where a woman "failed to yield right of way." When he answered "no," he was also issued a citation for failure to yield right of way! If the standards and/or laws say all or nothing, then that's what I go by to cover myself while driving. If the siren isn't needed, then the lights aren't needed. It only causes confusion and puts you in an awkward situation when that idiot slams you at an intersection!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X