Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who does not respond to accidents and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have spent 25 years in providing fire protection to the citizens of a city with over 1.5 million people with the last several years as an officer and acting battalion chief and what I am reading here surprised the Hell out of me. When I first went to the fire academy, I always was taught that when someone pulled an alarm box, called 911 or whatever phone number they used at the time, they always expected the fire department would always showe up. In reading the articles posted on this topic, I am not sure that?s true any more and certainly not happening in other parts of the country. How we did things her may not been the best way to handle things in other parts of the country, but we always put our citizens first. Our guidelines required a piece of apparatus (engine/truck) and a rescue squid along with a BC respond to accidents with injuries regardless how minor. It did not matter if it was a side street or on I-95, it was classified as a possible rescue with hazards. The justification posted by some because there PD or ambulance service will get here in a couple of minutes to determine if fire is needed suggest that some fire departments forgot why they even exist.

Why not have the fire department dispatched and if you?re first arriving officer makes a decision your not need, then have the equipment placed in service. You don?t need to put 5 or 6 pieces of equipment on the street. If your equipment is set up properly you only need one piece to respond and maybe a second as a support vehicle. For Volunteer departments, I understand that you may have a staffing problem if you run to many calls. And sometimes have to call your neighboring department for manpower. But if staffing is a problem, citizens should not suffer for it, these issues should be taken to your mayor, manager or city council and have then solve the problem. If a national poll was held and people where asked ? If they where involved in an accident , who did they think would be showing up at the accident?, I would be incline to believe the answer would be, ? police, fire and ambulance?. I think most people in the fire service would think the same.

Not to respond to calls where lives are at risk in my opinion is a mistake. Your department has to live with its policys, but I believe you are being unfair to the people of your community.

Comment

I've got to go w/Eng 20 and all the others, as a town/city/county FD not to respond to an accident is openning your dept up to a potential legal nightmare. my town has finally started to get it through to alomost all of the members of our PD that any mva w/damage or pain(even if the pt doesnt want treatment) needs to have our rescue go explain the pts rights and obtain a signed refusal of treatment and transport. plus the Hazmat concerns. If anything ever went to court the PD and the FD could swing, plus if you were the closest ems or even first aid unit to an mva and a person died because of travel time of another unit there could be some questions that few would welcome or careers could survive.
      Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
      New England FOOL
      "LEATHER FOREVER"
      As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Comment

Farmboy,you must be from a farm.Where you buying "new" trucks for 100k?Try 2-500k.

Gonzo,PD canceled Fire on a MVA the other day.I was within a half mile of the scene and continued my response routine.On arrival I could smell propane (now remember this is just a fender bender)opened the trunk to find 3 twenty # propane tanks one of which had got jostled and the valve turned on.After the incident,we cornered the Deputy chief and went to the dispatch center for a chat with the Police chief.Now, once Fire is dispatched ONLY A FIRE OFFICER can modify/cancel the response.End of story,Case closed.T.C. Division 7

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X