X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Firespritz
    MembersZone Subscriber
    • Sep 2000

Change helmet color

I have a new Paul Comway American Heritage leather helmet. I got it as a promotion gift to engineer. By luck, I made Lieutenant 10 months later. So now I have a $400.000 yellow helmet and I need a red one. Any ideas on changing the color? Any trades? Any ideas at all? Paul Conway sent me a one sentance reply to the same question, didnt help a bit. Thanks guys!! feel free to email me direct, [email protected]

Thomas
  • mark440
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2001

According to manufacturer specs, repaint it to red.
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Comment

• Firespritz
      MembersZone Subscriber
      • Sep 2000

I have not found specs that say to repaint. The American heritage has a special dye process that dyes the leather all the way into the leather. Also, what paint?

Comment

• sconfire
        MembersZone Subscriber
        • Jun 2001

There are no specs to repaint the Conway Leather. Like you said the helmet is died and was never painted. HOWEVER, I bought a black Conway and was promoted to Captain and had to change to red. I took some sandpaper and lightly sanded the surface of the helmet. (DO NOT GOUGE THE HELMET, JUST LIGHTLY SAND IT) then spray it with HI-TEMP Engine Primer. Put two good coats of this in there and let it sit in the direct sun for a few hours.
        THIS IS SOMETHING YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH IN FLORIDA)

Then use HI-TEMP Engine Red Paint and Apply 2 good coats on the helmet. You want to pay special attention to the combs (or ridges) on the dome and at the seam where the dome and brim(flat bottom part) come together. Paint these areas first and then fill in the rest. Most of it should be covered by overspray. After you spray it the first 2 times with the red you may want to apply a 3rd coat to make sure it is covered. This can be done in the first 2 coats but is up to you. REMEMBER!!! Watch for overspraying and the paint sagging! Lightly spray these layers on and DO NOT SPRAY TO HEAVY AND TO LONG IN ONE SPOT!!!

I suggest trying your process on a piece of cardboard or wood.

REMEMBER!! Between each coat of red paint, stick the helmet in the sun for 2 to three hours. This will heat the paint up and make it stick better to the helmet. My helmet looks fantastic and up until the time I bought a red Cairns New Yorker, I never had a problem with the paint job.

ALSO! You will have to tape up the outside rubber gasket on the helmet brim and you will need to take off your shield and shield "wishbone" holder (the black plastic piece behind the shield), the metal ring on the rear of the brim and your brass eagle to paint it properly. The "wishbone" can be taped up, but you will DEFINITLY want to remove everything else for a proper paint job.

If I can be of any other service, you can email me at [email protected]
        Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
        North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
        "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
        www.legacyofheroes.org
        www.firehistory.org
        www.sconfire.com

Comment

• dmsmith
          Forum Member
          • May 2001

Just out of curiosity, didn't your department provide you with a red helmet?
          Guinness....a meal in a can!
          IACOJ, Flatlander Division

Comment

• Firespritz
            MembersZone Subscriber
            • Sep 2000

Why yes they did provide a Red Helmet, with a plain ole generic shield..........just like my leather...............

Comment

• alexff67
              Forum Member
              • Mar 2001

I have had the same problem as you, needing to change the color of my conway. After talking to Conway they told me that the helmet color could be changed from a lighter color to the dark which didnt help, mine was black. I took some good advice and sold my conway and have a N6a on order. If you need the email address of who I talked to at Conway email me they might be able to redye your helmet.
              FDNY never will we forget

Comment

• FM61
                Forum Member
                • Dec 2001

One of the other mfgs, I think Cairns, sells paint for the leathers. My captain called them and they sent him the paint and instructions. He and I both have Conways, he changed his from red to white and it looks pretty good.
                If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Lieutenant

Comment

• SBFire333
                  MembersZone Subscriber
                  • Jul 2000

Personaly.......I would keep the yellow as a momento and go buy a red Paul Conway.....and if your Dept. won't buy you a red leather buy it yourself....makes for a good tax right off at the end of the year.....also I wouldnt pay $400.00 for a Conway.....I got mine with front and borgs for $365.00
                  The opinions and views expressed herin are solely mine and not on the behalf of the organization I belong to.

Comment

• Firespritz
                    MembersZone Subscriber
                    • Sep 2000

I will probably do just that, order a new red one with Borgs this time.......Where did you order yours for $365? Thanks all for your help.

Spritz

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...