X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8.3 lbs per gallon there woody--

Comment

Does heavy water put out more fire than ordinary weight water?

Comment

8.34 pounds, does the water tank weigh anything. Yeah he was right 11 pounds per gallon is right on.

Comment

O.k. people go to this pageclark truck equipment and see that a 5 ton millitary truck has a gvw of 70,000lbs. that is heavier than a International Paystar 5000 6x6 that we have that has 4000 gallons of water plus equipment and people and pump that is no where near over loaded. I know because we got the ticket from the certified scales to prove it is correct. As far as go off road, this truck will go any place you can go in a 4x4 pick-up just like the 2.5 ton that we have with 2000 gallons of water, and it does not have any more break down than the other trucks.

Once again Hope the info helps
          D308

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: d308 ]

Comment

Hey gah74, heavy water does put out more fire. But its not the stuff we put in our trucks. It is usually red and sticky, moving about 150 mph and dropped about 200 ft off the deck.

Now, if I use light water, do I have to use twice as much for half the fire load?

Comment

I'll have to back Maplewood up here. A number of years back we were building a brush truck, we contacted the SC Forestry Commssion about how big a tank we could put on the chassis we recieved from them. Their advice was to count each gallon of water at 11 lbs to take in account the added weight of the tank. So, 8.3 lbs per gallon is correct...but since noone has come up with a way to keep water in a liquid state inside a fire truck without a tank, 11 lbs per gallon is a good rule of thumb.

Comment

perhaps in the east things are different, however 1500 gallons seems excessive for a brush response where perhaps the primary goal should be to cut line. Save your money and invest in wildland gear and training.

Comment

i think 1500 gallons is a bit to much water for a grass fire. i'd rather see them get like a 1000 gallon(which is still on the high side for a grass truck) and get all the guys wildfire gear.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X