Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Hose dummy -- A good idea!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hose dummy -- A good idea!

Our department recently constructed a hose dummy like that described in FH magazine. It has worked very well for us. Recommendation -- Dress it in old turnouts to protect it.

I think we'll name her "Dixie".
    Last edited by StayBack500FT; 03-17-2003, 03:23 PM.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

That hose dummy was a Massachusetts Fire Academy design!

The MFA has been through two of the Rescue Randy's..they may be graet for the combat challenge, but they don't hold up in the burn buildings!

The beauty of the MFA hose dummy is low cost (a few lengths of hose that you would normally throw out and a few blocks of wood and hardware), you can make them different sizes (the MFA recruit course has two adult, one child and on einfant sized hose dummy) and they take a beating and never complain!

edited for misspelling Massachusetts..I am mortified!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 03-17-2003, 11:53 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

HOSE DUMMIES.... HMMMMMM

Yep, we have some, even dressed out in turnouts too. And some of them are even made with real hose.... a couple of the others can actually walk and sometimes talk too.... but we call them "Probies".

**Standing by for the beating from Pfrire.....**
      If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

hehehehe......

We have "Hose Dummies" for training purposes. At one recent practice 27 was IC, and I was one of the responding FR's. My pt's were trapped in vehicle and myself and the others working with me had to decide how best to extricate and treat them.

27 repeatedly radioed me asking on the status of my pt's. Since I didn't want to get in trouble for radio abuse I waited until he came to the "scene" to give him the status report.

PT STATUS ............... My pt's are HOSED hehehehehehe.

I really had no answer for him as I had not been told beforehand what the extent of injuries were for the pt's. So I improvised.

OH AND 27 *in a sweet voice* .......... PROBIES are only as good as they are taught!!!!!!!
        To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Comment

Captain Gonzo -- Kudos to you Massachusetts boys!
          May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Comment

Hose dummies do work pretty good. i like them because the weight seems to be distributed more than with a rescue randy. We have had ours for probably 7 years or so. It's not made like the one that was in FH, but it still is effective.
            The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
            We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
            IACOJ

Comment

We had a rescue randy, then he became amputie randy. SO we made a hose dummy, which is a very good was to recyucle old hose!!!!

Comment

I'll Try it.....

We're burning a house (Yes, we schedule our fires) this coming weekend, and the dummy will get a workout. I'll let y'all know how he/she/it made out or held up. Whatever. Stay Safe....
                Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                In memory of
                Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

The dummies, if properly made, will usually hold up. Several months ago I went to out new state fire academy, and while they were waiting to receive their "New state of the art dummies" they were using a hose dummy. These dummies went through about 18 evolutions and it didn't look any worse for the wear.

We have one at our department, also made out of out of service hose. We have also put the dummy "BOB" in a set of turn out gear. Some trainings we also fit the dummy with an old SCBA. In fact one of the trainings we used a local middle school's playground. We used the monkey bars to simulate a rescue situation that we had to (in teams of four) carry the dummy with turnout and scba over the monkey bars and around a tree and back over the monkey bars again. The dummy takes a beating in this type and you might have to retape the dummy.
                  ----------------------------
                  David S. Blevins

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

~Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Dummies

And I don't mean Rookies or Probies HAHA

We have a Randy(or Fat Ba$tard as he is known)

And we have found that he's just not flexible enough
                    in some areas to make him a good unconsciuos simulation.
                    Anyone have the info on how to make a hose dummy??? FB
                    currently resides in our training office. I think we may try
                    a hose dummy. Any help is appreciated.
                    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Comment

I will post a pic of ours after my next shift. Ours works well with trying to "bend" him as consistant to an unconscious victim.
                      ----------------------------
                      David S. Blevins

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

~Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Okay, I will be the ridiculous person to make this comment.

Most of you said you make the dummy from "Out of Service hose". Doesn't this go without saying? I mean, why would you want to make one with "In Service hose".

Anyway, we have Randy and find that it works pretty well for us. Of course, we may not have put him through some of the situations you fellows have (we don't have access to a burn building). But for what we do, he works just fine.

Comment

Most of you said you make the dummy from "Out of Service hose". Doesn't this go without saying? I mean, why would you want to make one with "In Service hose".

I think what they're trying to say, is what they do with there "out of service hose" like how they recycle it.

Comment

we've got "the big guy"... made from old 2 1/2 canvas hose... brass fittings... some of the oldest, heavest gear I could find... Great for watching probies carry it down the ladder on their shoulder... full gear of course... (make note, this practice will be coming up soon )

If you come across the big guy while doing a mock building search... move on and find the hose dummy made from 1 1/2 and wearing the smaller set of gear...

As for the probie vs hose dummy debate..........
                            "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Comment

HOSE DUMMIES AND "FIREFIGHTERS"......

Ya 26, and I have had the "privilage" of watching the OLD GUYS (this includes YOU!!) drag the Big Guy around and up and down ladders - I also have had that distinct honour. It ain't a great haul, and I don't really "see" the "greatness" for watching Probies drag it because we all do it.

Also, why would you "leave" the Big Guy and go looking for the smaller one? Other than the Little Guy weighs in at around 150 or 160 pounds vs the 180 (plus) of the Big Guy, not to mention that due to his being made of 2-1/2" hose, he is larger and more awkward to move.
                              If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse