No announcement yet.

oops!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had that happen to our dept recently. Our 3500gal tanker was coming back to the station after a mutual aid call in a neighboring city. They had 100ft of 2-1/2 come off of a preconnect. Fortunately the county FM called and let us know.

Comment

I can think of two occasions where this very thing occured in our dept.
      The first was a mutual aid call to a working fire in a house. The house was supposed to be at the top of a very long dirt driveway. Our chief on scene had our engine lay in our 3 inch line up the driveway as we would be supplying a bulk of the water. Well we carried 2000' of white cotton jacket at the time and layed in.
      Turns out that Chief had NO sense of distance because not only did we come up some 1000' short but access to the fire was not possible from the route we were sent! Oh by the way...the driveway was completly covered in mud from the rain the day before.

The second time a Lieutenant from on of our other companies laid all his 1 3/4 up a main roadway while responding to an AFA.

He was pretty P/O'd

------------------
      Jeffrey D. Grey-Captain
      Roosevelt Fire District-Hyde Park,N.Y.

Comment

vollie dept. going to a grass fire way off the road. i was riding in pov with other ffs. and going up this washed out, rutted, long time past farm road. all of a sudden, came up on 600 ft. of 3" that had come off the mini-pumper. got to admit, he laid it straight up the hill in the middle of that path.but 1/2 mile short of any fire. a real pain to reload....

Comment

About 14yrs ago when I was a driver we turned out, took a sharp bend at speed and the side locker opened and out spilled about 10 lengths of duraline hose. But no one knew until we returned to the station and a car pulled up on the forecourt with its backend almost on the floor, in the trunk was the hose, the driver had seen what had happened, picked up the hose and returned it to the station

TC BS

Steve

Comment

I have droped 200' of 5" clearing the interstate form a run luckily a good citizen pulled along side the unit on the ramp and told us. Then there was another department in our county that was responding to Quantico Marine Corp Base and lost there crosslay wich hit the guard both and did some damage.

[This message has been edited by eng10drvr (edited 01-22-2001).]

Comment

I was assigned to the ladder one day while enroute to a confirmed fire. I was behind the first due engine when it took a turn and off came the 2"1/2 250ft preconnect. After swinging across the street like a whip the line was able to slide under the tire of a car. After getting completely strethched out it flew out from under the tire like a spring taking out a windshield on another car. Upon arrival the chief was in question on why the line was already stretched out. The operator replied that 2 probies got off the engine a block early to stretch the line so that by time the engine arrived on scene they were ready to go.

Comment

About 3:00 one morning while responding to a working lumber yard fire I felt a bump as we passed the hydrant. About 50 feet later my driver realized it was one of the 3" lines that the 1st in had dropped. Needless to say we were one arial short for quite some time.

Comment

Got bored so I was reading old posts. Found this one.

Isn't it interesting how 5 years ago we thought it was funny as hell to accidentally lay a line when enroute to a call and not know it. Now it's still a bit funny, but we are a lot more serious about it with the somewhat recent death of that young girl.

Just thought it's interesting how our opinions and perceptions change over time. That and it's kind of funny seeing Captain Gonzo listed as a guest. :P
                  Fir Na Tine
                  Fir Na Au Saol

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...