X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ggtruckie
    replied
    One thing i have always had respect for is learning what the older salty dogs have gone through in the past. Learning what techniques have worked for them and what they would do in certain situations, listening to them have saved me from getting burnt once or twice.

So my advice listen to them, thier war stories dont just give great dinner topics, but may help you out in the future.

It bothers me that, and i may be out of line, but alot of firefighters think that when we look at past teshniques is what we should no longer do. well also we should look at what has been working and not write off the veterans as being resistant to change. Dont get me wrong I am all for finding new and better ways to old problems, but sometimes we dont find better ways to old problems just new ones. If we dont learn form the past we can never push forward.

I hope I made sense.

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: ggtruckie ]

Leave a comment:

• Kyle Wickman
    replied
    Send me a application. I would love to move back tomy home state.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Gonzo
    replied
    There will be a lot of retirements in the near future just about everywhere. Part of the problem is that cities and towns put off hiring new personnel until it becomes crunch time...then they hire like crazy, only to repeat the cycle in the next 20 to 30 some odd years.

Traditions can be passed on to the next generation. While we don't have the "big ones" like we used to, there are enough calls to gather experience. Training is also a big part of the job. We have to take "Generation Next" under our wings and teach them to cherish the past, honor the traditions and to keep on learning!

Leave a comment:

• truck12tillerman
    started a topic Loss of Experiance

Loss of Experiance

In most major departments in the bay area (SF, Oakland, etc.), there is soon to be mass exodus of experianced personnel due to retirement. For example, in SF, almost 300 Firemen are expected to be gone within 3 years. This experiance cannot be replaced, as fires arent around like they used to be anymore. I personally am frightened for the future of the fire department in General. A lot of the new people coming in have NO IDEA what being a Fireman is, with little respect for the traditions and aggressiveness that SF and the Fire Service in general is known for.

Are there any other regions in the US dealing with this same issue?

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X