Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KISS, ELO, Nugent? Mongo you are dating yourself big time!!!!! But those were the days and the bands.
    And Grit, I gotta tell you, as a woman I'm thinking if you're more interested in the tones going off than getting off I'm going to have to give you the same talk I just gave poor Maplewood there in the other thread lol.
    IACOJ

Comment

[quote] And while we're at it, what kinda name is "the edge" anyway?

When U2 was first starting out he was told that he was on the edge of greatness. Hence that is how he got his nick name.
      [quote] And Bono is a waste of a good voice box. If the pr*ck would shut his mouth for about three minutes and break out the check book, he could feed Africa for a decade.

Bucks, I always seem to take your side on most thinks but did you know that when Bono built his house not to long ago he made sure it was huge but he also made sure that it created tons of jobs. Did you know his kids go to the same public schools as everyone else? After his house was done the economy there jumped up. I don't now what the % was but I will find out. He donates money all the time. The only think that he preaches to the US goverment is for them to try and let go of old debt from third world countries owe us from a long time ago. Thanks Bucks
      Guys, how do you know he never gave to cops or firefighters in the past? Maybe he has. Why are you so quick to judge. The all come from working class familys.
      I like U2 and personly have never had a problem with them. Sure sometime I get annoyed with the liberal s*it. I will get the artical that he was in lately and post it. He talks about his support of what the US is doing now.
      No I am not a liberal or a Dem. I am a die hard rep.

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Kyle Wickman ]

This space for rent

Comment

Mongo

is mumia getting a new trial?

No, thank God. But you just know that his lawyres are going to re-try it the best they can through the new sentancing hearing.

toneloc177

Hey, i've had to 'step it up' when gettin some after the tones went off.

It also sucks when you're in college, you're an RA, and the fire alarm goes off in your building when you're uh, indisposed. Drunks and fire extinguishers, I'll never understand it...

Comment

Damn Brother Bucks nothing personal, and no need to get so emotional. From the sound of it, you've been around a Firehouse long enough for someone to call you on an opinion or two.

Keep up the good work on your charity work. Coming from a Cop family, I appreciate the Faulkner cause that you have undertaken.

It doesn't matter to me if your a conservative, a moderate, or a tree huggin VW bus drivin dead listenin bead sucking hippy. Just because you may have different political views than some famous dude from Ireland doesn't mean that because you haven't heard the guy say positive things about Cops and Fireman in the past, or have proof that he has donated to a worthwhile charity, that he hasn't.

C'mon, I thought Rock 'n' Roll guys are open minded. My Politics are more aligned with a guy like the Reverend Horton Heat (DFW area guy probably knows em) but my panties aren't in a bunch because he never mentioned anything about Cops or Fireman before-nor do I know if he kicked down cash. I don't care-they are artists/entertainers nothing more.

You've made it clear that you are an entertainer with the conscience to do the right thing-and that is to give. That is why we all got into this business.

So, some time down the road when your famous and make it to the Bay Area on tour, and some dumb potato eatin mick Fireman offers to buy you a beer, let em. He'll probably tell you the moon is made out of chesse. Talk slow and don't use too many big words so he can understand.

Hang loose J Black

P.S. Were U2 and Sting on the "Cause for New York" fundraiser?

Comment

Mark me down on the Bo No's wasting way too much of MY oxygen campaign...althought U2 did put out an album/CD titled, "Unforgettable Fire". I think we've all had a few of those.

Turning to Grit, Mongo, and LadyCapn....a very wise wacker from back in my Major Hoople days once told me...."Son...you can get ye sum anytime....you can only git to a far when tha whistle blows".

Being true to my Department, I decided to test that theory once with one of my girlfriends.....not surprisingly, she now carries the title "EX" in front of girlfriend.

Comment

Grit, ToneLoc and Hook 'n Can have redefined the meaning of the term "rapid response!" ...of course, the significant others were playing incident commander when they kept asking for "more hose or mutual aid!"
              ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
              Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by geiss:
                Damn Brother Bucks nothing personal, and no need to get so emotional. From the sound of it, you've been around a Firehouse long enough for someone to call you on an opinion or two.

Absolutely. Doesn't mean I don't get right back in their face. I find the direct method works much better. Nothing personal against you as well, my friend.

Keep up the good work on your charity work. Coming from a Cop family, I appreciate the Faulkner cause that you have undertaken.

Got cops and firemen in my family. It's a cause that's near and dear to me not only because of that, but because I grew up in Philadelphia and became very familiar with the story. Jamal is a racist scumbag, and his supporters are political and economic opportunists who make a good deal of money off the back of a murdering bastard.

It doesn't matter to me if your a conservative, a moderate, or a tree huggin VW bus drivin dead listenin bead sucking hippy. Just because you may have different political views than some famous dude from Ireland doesn't mean that because you haven't heard the guy say positive things about Cops and Fireman in the past, or have proof that he has donated to a worthwhile charity, that he hasn't.

The problem I have with Mr. No (that is his name, right, Bo No?) is that he's an opportunist. He's an Irish guy who has never had anything good to say about the United States, but is quick to jump on the bandwagon and use the names of fallen American heroes to provoke an emotional response from an American audience. That's cheap. I'd rather see him quietly donate some of his millions to the Widow's and Children's Fund, rather than trying to establish some connection between him and the FDNY heroes by flashing their names in some gaudy tribute.

And while he's busy telling us we should forget about all the money that other countries owe us (that's US - you and me, working class people whose tax money goes overseas), I imagine he's not quite so generous with his concert-goers, promoters, and record company execs. It's another do as I say, but not as I do thing. Like I said, the guy is a hypocrite and a flaming idiot when it comes to this stuff. But he's a brilliant musician. The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

C'mon, I thought Rock 'n' Roll guys are open minded.

Hmmm...that's a buzzword for "Rock 'n' Roll guys are liberal".

Actually, it's my refusal to accept some wooly Irish guy's opinion just because he writes a pretty good tune that MAKES me open-minded. It's pretty close-minded to follow a band, sheep-like, and take up their political causes because you like the guitar part in their latest song about the rain forest.

My Politics are more aligned with a guy like the Reverend Horton Heat (DFW area guy probably knows em) but my panties aren't in a bunch because he never mentioned anything about Cops or Fireman before-nor do I know if he kicked down cash. I don't care-they are artists/entertainers nothing more.

If they're artists/entertainers and nothing more, then why are they testifying before the UN and the US Congress on political issues? Why are they promoting their political points of view in concert, if they're just there to entertain? Come on. Bono has used his popularity as an entertainer to branch out into politics. And I think his politics suck. "I Will Follow" was a pretty decent song, though.

You've made it clear that you are an entertainer with the conscience to do the right thing-and that is to give. That is why we all got into this business.

I actually got into music for the chicks (nod here to Mongo)

I play music because I love it. I don't attach any more meaning to it than that. I'm not trying to change the world with music. I take the money we make and donate it to causes I believe in - and I believe in doing the right thing, you're right about that.

So, some time down the road when your famous and make it to the Bay Area on tour, and some dumb potato eatin mick Fireman offers to buy you a beer, let em. He'll probably tell you the moon is made out of chesse. Talk slow and don't use too many big words so he can understand.

I'll take you up on that, even if I never get to be famous.

Hang loose J Black

Is there any other way to hang, brother?

P.S. Were U2 and Sting on the "Cause for New York" fundraiser?

They probably were. I think U2 did something from a London studio. Gee, I wonder how much money they've donated? That's like me offering to pull a length of 1 3/4" in support of the fallen heroes of NYC. Please.

And Sting - wasn't he the one that wanted HIS song to be "the song of the event"? There were actually negotiations that went on, like the ones I imagine went on when Michael Jackson wanted to be identified as "the King of Pop", about whose musical d*ck was bigger. Naaaw, these guys don't have big egos, do they?

I'll say it one more time - when they start doing things that actually amount to a sacrifice for them (i.e. hits 'em in the wallet, for example), I might listen with more than half an ear to what they have to say - lead by example, in other words. Until then, I'll keep buying the CDs, but I'm not buying their bullsh*t.
                "Let's roll." - Todd Beamer, one of a group of American soldiers who handed the terrorists their first defeat.

Joe Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone (but you can borrow them )and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated (but then again, they just may not be thinking clearly).

Comment

Very nice post Bucks.

Sterotypes are a wonderful thing. (I wonder if anyone will take the bait left between the lines...)

geiss

The Rev!

First time I saw them ('91 I think) I thought the Stray Cats had got back together when they first came out on stage.
                  It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Comment

The Rev....here he is!

Comment

I took my younger sister to the U2 show Oct. 15th for her 30th birthday. Say what you want, but that show was fantastic. When they did the song New York from the last album..I had chills. Music is very powerful and can do much to heal. Bono is a good guy and had nothing but kind words for the U.S.,the people of New York and the many heroes of Sept. 11th. When the list of our departed brothers was shown on the screen, it was very very emotional for everyone in the house. I think some of you are misguided in your criticsism of U2...I bet some of the loudest voices in these rooms have never been to a U2 show, listened to the lyrics or really understand what they are about.
                      IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

Hey--

A couple of things about comments to my post about the U2 concert. I hear what you guys are saying about Bono jumping all over the cause of the day for his own self-promotion, but I think the best example of that was that Friday night celebrity telethon some weeks ago. Here you had a bunch of Hollywood morons who had spent most of their spare time in 2001 ripping George W. to shreads...calling him everything under the sun and then some....all of a sudden seeing stars and stripes...acting all patriotic. Well, what a crock of horse sxxx.

I have a list of actors (Julia Roberts, Redford, Ben Affliction, to name a few), all of them Clinton axx kisers, whose films I will
                        NEVER EVER SEE because of their very cruel, very inaccurate, and very public comments against Pres. Bush.

Bono went over the line mid-way through the concert when he paraded around the stage draped in an American flag...waving it...caressing it..(did he drag on the floor???)..all big no-no's.
                        What was the point??

Bono can get an audience with the Pope...Bono can hold court in the US House of Representatives ...where all concerned just kiss his axx...St. Bono...but if he knows so much about what WE'RE supposed to be doing, why can't he stop the bombs from going off in Belfast???

As far as the listing of the names concerned, it was the firs time that I had seen all of them listed in one setting...something I had wanted to see..and so I'll give him a pass on the exploitation thing here.

Rob Riley, St. Louis

P.S. Was Mariah Carey exploiting the situation when she sang for the troops in Kosovo, and strutted around in high heels, and a series of dresses that just got better and better and better?? Or can we give her a pass too????

Comment

Hey Brother, entertainers arent entertainers because they are particularly smart. Just pretty faces. I do agree the flag bit maybe was too much.I would like to give these folks the benefit of the doubt. We ALL tried to do what we could one way or the other. If you would have told me last summer that George W. Bush would give one of the most inspiring speeches I have ever heard (his speech to congress following 9-11) I would have thought you were nuts. So I really dont think that most of the Hollywood/music biz types are helping because they want the good P.R...A few maybe, but as we have seen there have been a few firefighters out there tooting their own horns(only a few though) KEEP ON ROCKIN IN THE FREE WORLD.
                          IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

Now if he did something like FIRE act( i know thats a fed program) where he donates to needy F.D.s i think that would great and i'd go and see him if tickets were 200 bucks.
                            But i don't like him tearing Bush from ear to ear. We don't say his Irish president(or whatever) stinks.so he needs to chill out.

Comment

lol... where exactly is Maplewood? I want to try not to build a home there for the mere fact that it may burn down one day.

Ohh, and u2 rocks even if Bono opens his mouth a bit too far. But I am gonna stay outta this one...

Ohh, and thank God for freedom of speech!

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: daysleeper47 ]

Comment

VERY funny sleeper. Actually the neat part about my dept is. Its a very rural small dept.(with soon to be 3 trucks)(right now we got 2 pumpers,a tanker and grass truck)(but soon to be 1 pumper/tanker,1 pumper, and a grass truck) grant it we're a small dept but we get the job done if the need araises.
                                the booming metropolis of maplewood sits about 1 or 1.5 hour nw of columbus.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X