This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U2 Concert: Bono and 9/11..

Bono/U2 were in town (St. Louis) at the end of November for one of the last stops on their current concert tour. Now, I totally love U2's music and everything, but have had a problem in the past with Bono and his Big Mouth. He seems to spend way too much of his time running around the globe, blaming the United States for all world hunger, all world poverty, etc., etc., etc. This time, we were "fortunate" to have a travelling troupe from Amnesty International passing out propoganda and BS next to the concession stand for the $40 U2 T-Shirts. But, whatever.

Anyway, Bono/U2 did something really incredible at the end of the concert. They projected on a huge screen, while playing some KEWL songs, the names of the passengers and crew of all four flights that crashed on 9/11. Big applause for the heroes on United Flight 93. Then, it was NYPD's turn. All 33 fallen officers' names slowly scrolled on the screen, alphabetically. Big Applause.

Then, the letters FDNY appeared on the screen....
    and 15,000 kids, who were already on their feet cheering, went wild with!!! Sheer Bedlam!!! I have never heard such a huge noise that had so much meaning. Everyone was in tears, and of course, it took, and rightly so, forever to list all of the names of the fallen firefighters. It was such an surreal moment, because you knew that with every name, there was a mother, father, wife, child, who was grieving.

Some of the names I recognized..either from this forum, from the NY Times articles, or FOXNews, etc. But what REALLY got to me were the instances where there were two, perhaps three firefighters listed with the same last name. Were they brothers??? Father and Son???

So if any of you guys happen to bump into Bono over the holidays, you might wanna thank him for doing his part in making sure that those 15,000 people in St. Louis NEVER FORGET what happened on 9/11.

Wishing Everybody The Happiest of Holidays!!!

Rob Riley, St. Louis

I think bono is a waste of skin, he could use his own fortune to pay off some of these third world debts.

But this was pretty cool.
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Comment

Bono serves an important purpose Mongo. The date I took to the U2 concert here was mush that night thanks to him.

Rob the Angelinis were father/son. Dad was with R1 and son was mentioned as well in the R1 documentary 48 Hours just did.

Comment

(oop's computer seizure, again!)

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: toneloc177 ]

May God bless all the people and families who have lost
        their lives on 9-11-01, to those also lost on Flight 587, and to the rescuers who responded to both.

"I'm not saying it's right, i'm just saying (the way it is)."

FDNY-EMS - Still New York's Best!

e-mail always accepted @
        [email protected]

Comment

Grit got laid!

their lives on 9-11-01, to those also lost on Flight 587, and to the rescuers who responded to both.

e-mail always accepted @
          [email protected]

Comment

Naw, I got paged to my volunteer house and dropped her off on the way. You know how we are.

Comment

OK, this topic is about bono, not hooples, whackers or whatever you call them in your neck of the woods
              It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Comment

Whackers up here...

And Bono is a waste of a good voice box. If the pr*ck would shut his mouth for about three minutes and break out the check book, he could feed Africa for a decade.

But, just like our own lovable limousine liberals, even our international libs don't want to actually DO anything themselves - they want to browbeat YOU into doing it.

And this was a really nice gesture, but think about it - how many good words did Bono and the boys have about firemen and cops before September 11? If you ask me (and you probably shouldn't, because I'm a cynic when it comes to these lefties), it was a pretty crass attempt to capitalize on an American audience's feelings.

So, I imagine you can guess I haven't changed my mind about Bono...
                "Let's roll." - Todd Beamer, one of a group of American soldiers who handed the terrorists their first defeat.

Joe Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone (but you can borrow them )and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated (but then again, they just may not be thinking clearly).

Comment

i got mixed emmotions about Bono.I think it's honorable that he's donating money to 3rd world countries then again if you look up a ticket for his concerts your talking 200 bucks. for 200 bucks a head and sold out area he should be able to take the entire africa population to old country buffet.

Comment

Hey J Black-
                    You aren't the same J Black in the band "Cloning Einstein" doing a U2 cover are you? Just checking.
                    If you are the same guy, you've got some pretty
                    strong opinions for a young musician.

There is a difference between a leftist and a guy that is a humanitarian. He's actually a guy that grew up in the **** holes of Dublin in a working class family. I'd imagine his opinion of firefighters should not even be questioned.

Just waiting for your reply, kid.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Grit:
                      Naw, I got paged to my volunteer house and dropped her off on the way. You know how we are.

WHAT?!?!?!? If I was down in MD I would smack you!!! It better have been a DAMN GOOD call (or at least a REALLY BAD date)...I think ToneLoc would agree
                      IACOJ Agitator
                      Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Comment

Neither.

You can tell I'm bulls**ting when my mouth is moving or my fingers are typing.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by geiss:
                          Hey J Black-
                          You aren't the same J Black in the band "Cloning Einstein" doing a U2 cover are you? Just checking.
                          If you are the same guy, you've got some pretty
                          strong opinions for a young musician.

YES I AM!!! Finally, fame has found me!! I,m the guitarist in that band. How did you hear about us? The Officer Daniel Faulkner Educational Grant Fund concert that we organized? The money we donate to charity? What?

So, anyway, your "checking" was right on the money. I am the same guy. And thank you for acknowledging that I have 'strong opinions' - tells me I'm doing something right.

There is a difference between a leftist and a guy that is a humanitarian. He's actually a guy that grew up in the **** holes of Dublin in a working class family. I'd imagine his opinion of firefighters should not even be questioned.

You might imagine a lot of things, geiss. You can imagine that the moon is made of cheese, for example. That don't make it so, son. Bono has done little else in his political posturing but play the game that all self-righteous leftists play - do as I say, not as I do. He's always there for the cause of the moment. Tell me, brother, when was the last time you heard Bono worried about cops and firemen? Please quote for me the last political statement Bono made in support of emergency service workers. Please show me how much he's donated, in time and money, to causes near and dear to cops and firefighters? Don't strain yourself - you won't find it.

And now, he wants to play the names of fallen firefighters at a concert in America? Please. Donate the money from that concert to the Widow's and Children's Fund if you want to impress me, big man.

Just waiting for your reply, kid.

Just giving it, son.

Oh, and just so you understand - it's OK to think somebody's a flaming idiot when it comes to politics, and still admire them as a brilliant musician. Sting comes to mind, for example. Is that easy enough for you to understand?
                          "Let's roll." - Todd Beamer, one of a group of American soldiers who handed the terrorists their first defeat.

Joe Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone (but you can borrow them )and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated (but then again, they just may not be thinking clearly).

Comment

. . . that's like those bumper stickers that say;

" a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work "

Hey, i've had to 'step it up' when gettin some after the tones went off. After they did, so did I. HA!

(mongo, is your reply in error. wasn't it another thread about whackers, etc.???)

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: toneloc177 ]

e-mail always accepted @
                            [email protected]

Comment

BucksEng91

And Bono is a waste of a good voice box.

AMEN!!!

And you know he says it wrong too. Here in Texas his name is pronounced bo no.

And while we're at it, what kinda name is "the edge" anyway?

...they want to browbeat YOU into doing it.

There you go!

Maplewood F.D.

I think it's honorable that he's donating money to 3rd world countries

He's donating his money to fly around and tell you you should donate yours and forgive somebody elses debts.

then again if you look up a ticket for his concerts your talking 200 bucks.

I saw KISS, ELO, Nugent, BOC and a buch of others in the 70's for a whopping $9.00 a ticket!

geiss

He's actually a guy that grew up in the **** holes of Dublin in a working class family.

And that means what?

BucksEng91

YES I AM!!! Finally, fame has found me!! I,m the guitarist in that band.

BEST of LUCK BUCKS!

The Officer Daniel Faulkner Educational Grant Fund concert that we organized?

Caught wind of this today, is mumia getting a new trial?

Donate the money from that concert to the Widow's and Children's Fund if you want to impress me, big man.

It'll never happen.

it's OK to think somebody's a flaming idiot when it comes to politics, and still admire them as a brilliant musician.

Or a brilliant whatever they are for that matter.

toneloc177

(mongo, is your reply in error. wasn't it another thread about whackers, etc.???)

Nope, Grit cleared it up, but if he had left a chick that was "mush" for his volly gig, he'd be a deluxe hoople.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X