Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ggtruckie..... U go boy.... some of the things you say sound very very familiar.....hmmmmmm...could it be that you got them or heard them from someone before (perhaps when you were younger??)

You are right....you wanted to learn...and did..

Get rid of the Dead wood...

PS...how do ya like Trey's XMAS present...hehehehehehehe
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

When did you start hanging out at my station house. Maybe we just have the same problems! We got this one guy who never shoes up for a structure fire, HELL he didn't show at the one across the street from his house. The general concensus is that he's scared and lazy. But if we have a Bomb Threat or a wreck, you know something with a lot of exposure to the public w/o a lot of work involved, you guessed it he's there. This guy has an EXCUSE though, he has a bad shoulder. Yep, every time we need some work done he has shoulder pains, especially when trying to don an air pack! guys like this are in it for the glory and not the job itself. For them it's something to DO not something to BE.

Comment

Well I guess I let most of my steam off through this post. I am working on a rookie book so that when we get new members in the station they will have to complete certain training requirements in the station as well as getting thier FF I/II. To be able to ride. Well I am sure I will make alot of people mad, but thats what I do best.

Comment

You did not over react. Sounds like a lot of those TV watchers are in the fire company to be in a club, not to be firefighters. Being a firefighter is a big responsibility and you have to know what to do and how to do it right. Slackers who seem to not care can get themselves, you, and/or victims hurt or even killed. If your officers are not doing anything about the situation, replace them. (I don't know if you hold elections for your officers or not, but there is more than one way to remove an incompitent officer.) Also, see if a company policy can be made that says something to the effect of if you don't drill, you are no longer part of the company. These suggestions sound harsh, but people's lives are at stake, not a few individual's feelings.
          It's just a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling.

Comment

The "DINOSAURS" must go. If they don't want to train, learn, participate, they need to go. This does not only go for the older generation. The ones who just want a coat, put a red light on there car, or just to say they are a firefighter should go to. This job is for real whether full-time, part-time, or volunteer, all should be held very high in standards. All should be able to perform, and should perform on a regular basis. Prove to yourself and others that you can do the job. If they don't want to, c-ya bye.

Comment

My department has a BIG problem with this. We are all volunteer and only about five out of twenty five bother to show up for training, and one of those five is a junior ff. I'm getting pretty fed up with the ones that only show up for business meetings and calls but never come to the work parties or training. I guess this is a problem every department faces. Its becoming a BIG safety issure here. We are facing more and more MVA's, vehicle fires, and structure fire potential.
              Gabriel
              FF/EMT
              Nevada, Missouri
              1*

Comment

There you go Greg...Be a leader... Be a Trail Blazer... Remember way back when.....some of us said then that there needed to be a check off system to ride the apparatus for new folks...

Take the bull by the horns... I am sure you will get the support from the Chief. I had a long conversation with him. Seems to be doing ok,.,,,,
                09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
                IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
                "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
                BMI Investigator
                The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

I thought that I was the only one with this problem. When ever I am at the station it feels more like a fire club than a Fire Department. No one wants to train or do anything to improve the department. I feel that these people just want to wear a fire coat and tell their friends and family that they are on the Fire Department, just so that they feel important.
                  I have talked to the Chief about this and many other issues, and he usually agrees with me and say's things should be changed. Nothing happens and actually he is just as bad as the rest of them.
                  Recently I have applied for a full time position on a Fire Department that will take me away from this area. If I were to get the job, it will be nice not having to deal with that anymore. I will then constantly worry about my best friend that I will be leaving behind to deal with iton his own.
                  This is a tough battle and I wish everyone luck. Always train and stay safe.
                  If you can't take the heat, stay off the truck!
                  There When You Need Us!!!
                  Firefighter Forever
                  Charbo

Comment

What should be the minium requirements to remain active?

how many drills?
                    how long should it take them to get FFI/II?
                    How many duty nights should they run?
                    what about administrative stuff, there are a few of us carrying that burden should these people be forced to help out?
                    Fundraising?

if this is gonna work lines have to be drawn

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...