This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ggtruckie.....Greg....

What did I tell you a long long time ago. Apparently you listened and made something of yourself. As I have told others and you...you have potential and have developed into a really good firefighter.... (Remember July 4, 1999 off Airlie Road....darned good job young man...)

Anyway,....I assume you are speaking of the good ole Eng/Tower 1???? If so...remember..some things will never change. I know there has been some positive improvement over the past year and I am sure you are glad.

As far as the slackers....Well...they are always gonna be there. Those are the ones I used to call the mousekateers. They think it is a place to come and hang out...a social club...

You have learned it is not...

Try this... Take the slackers and involve them in conversations about calls and why things were done and what could have been done different. Stimulate their interst..get their input.... then...offer to spend some time with them...firefighter to firefighter... go over equipment and uses of the same. Offer to guide them and teach them. Tell them of things you experienced that made you get to how you feel and work now.

Keep up the good job...and keep and eye on Trey.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

this story fits right in with theses other slacker tales. we got a call for a smoke condition in a house in the middle of morning on a weekday, very little manpower. i rolled my engine alone and arrived on scene first and took command. i sent two F/F's in to investigate and the senior of the two(the other is a rookie) calls command and reports a burnt out washer motor and requested a fan to clear the smoke out, well the rookie comes out for the fan sticks it by the window and starts stareing at it(keep in mind im about 15ft from the front with the homeowner) then he looks at me and proceeds to say "how the hell do you start this damn thing", so i put my head down walk past the homeowner over tot the fan, show him how to turn it on pull the choke and start it, he looks at me and says" oh i thought it was electric hahaha sorry"

well anyway im sure there are a million stories of idiots out there, this is just one many
      9/11/01 forever in our hearts

Comment

It sounds as if we are talking Volly Departments as well as combo/career.

I'm from a volly made up of 89 "active" firefighters and we have the same problems as you it sounds. Our entire department has been failing the basics for some time. We are currently devising SOP's/SOG's for use and implementation. If you want a rank above firefighter then you must complete a specified amount of training per year and a specified amount of calls as well. We are about 3 months from launch and already this is raising hell with everyone.

I'm just offering this solution, we hope it works. We are putting in writing what we expect from our vollies and the kind of training they WILL have every year.

Good luck and be safe.
        "Lead, follow, or get out of my Way"

Comment

Does anyone have any inforamtion about a rookie book or any ideas for a book maybe this will help to get people off thier $&^% and learn what to do. We will have minimun requirements for them to ride certain positions (very tough requirements).

captsatnm1 eng/twr 1 is doing good.

Comment

Fire Medic, I was just thinking of your quote, "Lead, follow, or get out of my way" That's the truth. There are many of the slackers in my company and this is how they are treated by the more reliable members. We're perfectly willing to help them learn, but there comes a time where if they're not ready, they're gonna get burnt!

Comment

This chart shows some of the attitudes of our four fire service generations. For what it's worth, I thought it was damn close to what I'm seeing these days:

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: E229lt ]

Comment

GGtruckie

Glad Eng/Tower 1 doing ok.....how's the PIZZA?? hehehehe

Anyway....the suggestion are pertinent in any department. You have it in you...Be a leader...those than can will follow....others will just fade or rot away!

Merry XMAS
                BMI Investigator
                The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

The problem I am seeing is that as one firefighter has put I we have become a fire department of one. everyone is doing things thier own way and not working together (the ones that actually work).

Captstanm1;

No one here wants a leader, they all want things thier own way. Those that try to do right by the company get shunned by the rest, because it will create more work or it is not the way that they want it so they just go ahead and do it thier way or not do it at all. I dont know what to do, I hate to see this department get swallowed up by individualism.

Sincerly;
                  not so old, but getting gray.

Comment

GGtruckkie

Been there done that already got the gray.

You are right about one thing....There is no "I" in TEAM...and the Rambo or John Wayne approach is not good in Fire Service.

Which of your departments are you speaking of? WVFD or the one across the river?
                    BMI Investigator

Comment

Stan,

When you throw the "THERE'S NO "I" IN TEAM" at them, they usually respond with:

"YOU CAN'T SPELL TEAM WITHOUT "ME"

Comment

Could always come back wit the response, "I have always found it quite easy to spell TEAM without "U".
                        Shawn M. Cecula
                        Firefighter
                        IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

we have a problem with training at our station.
                          atleast once a year we have pump training (we get 4-5 guys to show up out of 15)same with tanker training. Then the county has usually free(if not free its less than 50 bucks) training or seminars. If we're lucky we'll get 2 get 2 guys to show up once in awhile for that. I've talked to chief about this problem. he says what can i (cause we're volunteers) if i tick them off they'll quit and we're thin on people at fire scenes. I understand people have stuff to do and things come up. Grant it training isn't always fun and you get to play around. But the way i look at it 3-4 hours of training might save your butt in the next fire.

Comment

Well i dont see them doing the Rambo or John Wayne approach (those two got off the couch) they dont want to do anything, but if they do, it better be thier way.

and it is not the one across the river, closer to home.

I think we can sell the Q's we have enough whinners at the station for a siren.

Comment

E229lt That is a good one.....and the Captains comeback is great...

I hope your XMAS is ok....Gob Bless you brother...(drop me an email with your address..would love to send you a personal card)

Now..on with the subject...GG...i figured as much....hmmmmm..i looked at the roster...wonder who it is? Why are they there? Could their lack of enthusiasm be a result of frustration with some one (could be plural) in administration. How old are they? Could be a lack of maturity....some folks do stupid things....even me.... and then they wake up. Hmmmmmmm..ggtruckie...remember that evening you were supposed to be at duty and had to "leave" for a moment???? When you returned you "slept" through a call.... hehehehe... That was before you woke up...hehehehe.... Again...you have matured and are a good firefighter and get better. Have lots of respect for you... Get em in gear...motivate em.....help em understand and mature.

Merry XMAS...Stan
                              BMI Investigator

Comment

Many times when we get on the scence i see fireifhgters who get orders to crib the vehicle (not the best job in the world but one that requires knowledge) tell a lesser firefighter to do it. because they dont want to. they just want to go down the road in a big red truck with flashing lights and make alot of noise so they can go to work and tell a bunch of BS stories about "everything" they did on the call last night. makes me think they're just here for a free ride.

If they dont wanna do the job well i will be happy to show them the door.

I am not sure what thier problem is, though i have noticed some irregularities in training. which i have seen creates a problem from time to time. some newer firefighters will try to help teach the ones that just walked in the door but end up showing them the wrong way or just confusing them.

I am not the safest person in the world of firefighting but these people scare me, not cause they are aggresive, but because they just dont have a clue, nor a desire to get one.

i like having alot of people in the company we have been able to pretty much switch from the response from home to being staffed every night usually with 2 rigs. But it is not worth having alot of people if they dont know what they are doing.

Captstanm1;

Yes, LOL ( i shouldnt laugh) i remember that, but you have to admit when our junior company was around we wanted to be firemen and learned alot from all of the officers and firefighters there. When we came into the station we were expected to clean and we did, now these punks leave a discusting mess all over thes station. but that is second to being able to do the job.

PS

yea the pizza was pretty good. worked off the tower (my favorite rig) that night we were right out the door with both the tower and the wagon, with my partner in crime we were able to complete the entire primary search before a hoseline made it to the door. the wagon crew also put a good knock on the fire. but we had an awsome crew that night on both the wagon and the tower.

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: ggtruckie ]

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X