X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Are Santa Runs?

?

Someone dresses up as Santa and they sit on a fire engine/truck and drive around the neighborhoods with candy (some areas it's toys) for the kids.....It's popular on Long Island (my dept. doesn't do it though).
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Comment

yes thats what a santa run is in my area, so everyone in the northeast be prepared on the week of december 22nd because thats when we are going this year and no matter what the weather has been like its always freezing when we go so be ready
      9/11/01 forever in our hearts

Comment

My company has a Santa detail each year. We start two weeks out and drive through a different neighborhood each night usually with one engine, sometimes two. We don't give anything out, but everyone enjoys the lights and sirens and seeing Santa. It is really interesting when we get a call and Santa has to climb down without busting his tail and then get undressed and ready for the call in the pumper. Take care and be safe.

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: Philip C ]

Phil Clinard
        Laurel VFD
        Prince George's Co Sta 10
        Laurel, MD
        www.laurelvfd.org

Comment

At my department Mom and Dad drop off a gift addressed to their children and a small donation $$$. This Sat night we take Santa around on the truck to the houses that have sent us gifts and Santa delivers them. We have a person that is a friend of the department and is a professional Santa. Natural beard, glasses and the jolly belley to match. We spend about 3 mins per house for pictures.

Comment

We are doing our santa run this Sat. We take 3 trucks around our town and give out candy kanes to everyone.

Comment

We started doing it last year and wwwwwwwill be doing it again next weekend. We have Santa with a headset set on PA going around saying Ho Ho Ho! we got a lot of positive feedback from residents.

Comment

The Santa detail is among the most fun things you can do for the kids. And if you enjoy the Christmas/holiday season, it's a ton of fun anyway.

We used to get a neighboring Truck co. to cover our district. Then we'd deck out our Mack Aerialscope with christmas lights, a stereo tape deck with big house speakers strapped on blasting christmas tunes, 8 fake reindeer strung together like and actual team along the boom, and Santa would stand up in the bucket with all the spots aimed at him. We'd all wear Santa hats and act as the "elves" and "helpers". Crank up the Q, the horns, tossing out candy canes as we'd idle along,etc. Geeez, that was so cool!

To see the kids chasing after us and having a blast, what fun. We'd stop at preplanned homes to give out gifts and candy. When we'd stop and Santa would climb down, half the nighborhood would be clambering around, Santa would shake hands and hug the children, etc.

Anyway, that made my season every year.

Hey, doesn't everybody do this at Christmas?
                09-11-01:Never Forget

Comment

That's what I was wonderin'. Live and learn. I thought this was done all over the country.

Comment

We start our Santa Runs next week - we go from Monday to Thursday. We take candy canes to all the kids..take their gift lists from them and the cookies they bake us...we take gifts to certain homes - we have two developmentally disabled residential homes in our area. The Santa Run is one of my favorite activities all year! The kids love it, the parents love it, and we ALWAYS have a blast doing it. If you department does not currently do this you should look into doing it....the response we get from our community is wonderful and it shows them that we are not all about fighting fires, and asking for donations...we also do things just because we want to make the kids holiday season a little bit brighter.

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: hctrouble25 ]

Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Comment

In the combination department I volunteer for we do our Santa runs the first three weekends in December so that we can make it to pretty much all parts of the city. We put our Brush Truck out as lead and keep him up a little ways so that people have a little warning we're coming down the street, and then we have "Santa's Sleigh" with Santa in the hosebed of the engine. We follow up with the department's pickup and collect canned goods to be donated. We have a pretty good working relationship with the grocery store across the street so we can usually get a discount, if not get the candy Santa hands out donated. This was the first year I did it, but I had a blast and you wouldn't believe how great a response you see from the public.

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: devaneff ]

-------------------------------------------<br />God bless our fallen brothers and sisters<br />9-11-01 FDNY - Lest we forget<br />-------------------------------------------<br />"We will not tire, we will not falter, and <br />we will not fail." <br /> -- President George W. Bush - 9/20/01<br />-------------------------------------------

Comment

We do our "Santa Run" every Christmas Eve at dusk. We doll up the engine and the squirt with strings of Christmas lights, setup lighting for Santa, then strap our guy in a Santa suit to the ladder turntable on the squirt. We usually spend about an hour and a half running around town, making lots of noise, and giving all the kids a thrill when Santa waves and (if the "voice", usually me, knows it) says "hi" to them by name.

It's fantastic public relations and, except for the poor guy on top of the truck when it's really cold out, it's relatively cheap and painless for everybody.

Comment

my dept has done a tour for several years now and every year it grows a little bit! last year we added a toys for tots collection (we recieved several hundred toys) and this year we added a website.
                          if anyone wants to check it out here the address

www.gtfdsantatour.com/

it gives a brief discription of our tour and might help anyone w/ ideas for their's
                          Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
                          New England FOOL
                          "LEATHER FOREVER"
                          As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Comment

Where i come from a santa run is the day after christmas, when we would get the s---- from eating to much christmas ham.

WIPE WELL.

p.s. all in fun.

The toys for kids is a great program, keep up the good work

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: ff emt-p bleve ]

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: ff emt-p bleve ]

Comment

santa run what santa does when he sees cookies

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader