This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fashlight question

Okay guys heres the deal i realize probably for christmas i'll be getting some cash. Now your gonna laugh at this next part. My Dept uses Maglights for firefighting. which is okay far as toughness but THEY HEAT UP BAD IN FIRES.(cause they're a metal flashlight.) There okay for like night car wrecks or something thats not that hot. but personally I think there dangerous.What i plan on getting is on thats mounts on the helmet and one that clips on the jacket.
    now it has to meet the following requirements.
    #1 it doesn't heat up in fires
    #2 TOUGH(i'm not as hard on them as some guys but they need to hold together)
    #3 Price(i'm not a cheapskate but i don't wanna drop a heck of lot of money on a flashlight)
    #4 Brightness(it has to be bright)
    #5 Size(i don't want a 8-cell hanging off the chest hook on my jacket)
    Do you guys have any suggestions?
    and if you've had good flashlights tell me about them and prices and where to get them
    Thanks

For the jacket light, you are hard to beat the survivor light. Probably around $100 bucks. Ive had one for years without any problem. As far as the helmet, try a $3 Garrity Life light. They don't stand up to heat very well, but the price is right.

Comment

For a helmet light, get the Underwater Kinetics 4AA light. Light and helmet clip are about $25. It's explosion proof, durable, and puts out a lot of light. I was on an aerial 30 feet over a hole in the roof of a house and it lit up the floor. I thought it was the floodlights on the aerial, until I noticed the beam moved with my head. Buy an extra bulb ($8). Sorry, can't remember where I bought it, but it was on the internet.

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys I've herd the flashlights called "Big Ed"(You usually see them in Firehouse Magazine) are pretty good and tough. Has anyone had these and do these hold up. are they pretty bright? and whats the price?
        Pelican is another one i've herd thats good. the thing i like about pelican(that i've seen) they are fairly good priced. I've herd guys say that there a turd and i've herd guys say that it's the best flashlights ever made.

Comment

i have used a pelican three "c" cell light(dont know the model) on a carabiner clipped to my jacket.ive had this particular light for going on eight years and its een some some pretty hot fires and its still going strong. i kepp one of the garrity lights on my helmet, and theyre hard to beat for the price.if u can find one, they make these new flame retardant bands that wont slip off ur helmet and last ten times as long as rubber!!

Comment

You can get the Underwater Kinetics 4AA from chiefs supply.It comes with a stainless steel helmet clip, and you can order an adjustable Nylon helmet clip for an extra $14.00.

the page with the light is below:
            http://www.chiefssupply.com/ukinetics.phtml
            Shawn M. Cecula
            Firefighter
            IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

I have used the pelican flash light that takes the 4 AA batt. and have loved it. I have had it melt and deform from the heat sent it back to pelican and they sent me a new one very fast. Nice beam good for smoke. I bought it out of galls for about 23$ dollars. I will Never go with anthing else.

Comment

Jacket light: Responder by Koehler, 4-c or rechargable batteries, 60K candlepower VERY bright, durable.... throw down $120. I feel it was worth it (Birthday present from in-laws).
                Bunker pants pocket: Pelican Stealth Lite, can be helmet mounted, bright, dependable.
                Saffell
                1 Corinthians 1:18
                For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Comment

I ve got to go with Lewiston2Capt and , Detroit Fire Ive had both these lights there almost identical. I put loop velcro on mine and it sticks to my gear.
                  J.B.WEIR
                  Summerville Vol Fire Dept
                  Pride In Service !

Comment

I never knew Pelican has a unconditonal lifetime warrenty. Thats good to know. Now what would be great is if anyone has or has used a "Big Ed" by Pelican these are Xenon bulbs so i'd think they be REAL BRIGHT .also I want a cell battery one(not rechargeable) because I'm a Volunteer and you guys know when you rush to the station and suit up you don't want to go over and grab your flashlight out of the charger. right now i went online at darley's website and for a Big Ed
                    (its a 4-c cell)and UKE helmet light ???? (i haven't herd of them but they look pretty good) but for about 100 bucks without tax i didn't think that was that bad

Comment

I use the Pelican SuperSaberlite submersible. It takes 3 C batteries and has the Xenon laser spot beam bulb. So far, I am very happy with it. I've smacked it around a couple of times and it's held up. Replacement bulbs are around 11.00 bucks.

Comment

I've used a Pelican SuperSaberLite (3-C batt's)for the past 6 years with no problems. Not a lot of $$, submersible, takes a beating, no problems so far with being able to take heat. The Survivor is more money but is also a nice light.
                        In Arduis Fidelis
                        Faithful in Adversity

Comment

I have three suggestions for ya... 1. The Garrity light(at most Walmarts)is hard to beat for light duty general purpose lighting/ 2. All Pelican products are tremendous values for the retail cost. I've used about four different models of their lights over the years and have always been impressed/ 3. My current light is a SureFire C2 - this thing is like carrying the sun in a small tube!!! It's quite expensive so its real use is for medical/rescue calls(primarily night-time scene calls). I know several firefighters who carry them in on structure calls, but to me it would be an expensive loss, since it's not a dept. provided item. Just my opinion...
                          Brian Rowe
                          Paramedic/Engineer
                          Colleton County Fire/Rescue

Comment

We use the Pelican lights at my dept and they serve our purpose really well. If anything goes wrong with them, we are aware of the replacement policy but have not had to use it though. It has been two years since we first started using them. Excellent light even under extreme conditions.

Comment

I have used the Pelican Super Sabre light and was not impressed with it. I am not very rough with it but after a few fires the lens assembly is all cruded up and it won't come clean. I now use the Responder 3C and I like it alot. It has more power than the pelican and its the same size. The pelican has 12,000 candle power whereas the responder has 50,000 candle power. Galls has both of them, 27.99 for the pelican and 29.99 for the responder.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X