This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glasses and SCBA!

How do you handle firefighters who wear glasses and SCBA?

Just wear it over them? Require them to wear contacts? Let them learn to breath smoke?

Interested to hear your solutions and thoughts.

Scott makes a lense kit for their mask. Cost me $25 about 2 years ago. I then had my eye fit them w/ lenses. They get left in my mask. It was one of the best investments I ever made. Tried contacts but could not get them in. It was too much work for me.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Comment

MSA also offers a similar kit - the lenses for the MSA and Scott kits are a standard size, that many optometrists keep in stock. As for contacts, they are strictly forbidden for usage with SCBA in many jurisdictions.
      Fiberglass forever!! (they won't let us have leather)

Comment

I wear my mask over my glasses. The wire frames dont cause a seal leak. As a certified SCBA repair tech, I can say that the Positive pressure that is in the mask will not allow the presence of external atmosphere to enter the mask.

Comment

I got the lense kit for my Scott mask. I find that the way the lense is seated in the mask it pushes the mask off my face slightly preventing a tight seal.
          There are people that say that it makes little difference weather you have glasses or not since you cannot see in a fire anyway. Well I have to disagree. Good vision on the fireground it VERY important at all times. What about sizeup? How about seeing and recognizing hazards anywhere in the hotzone. Vision is very important during overhaul when the majority of the smoke is cleared out.

I have disposable contacts that I where for about 1-2 weeks straight, night and day. After that time I replace them with new contacts. I have been wearing them for about 7 years and have never had a problem. I have no need to fumble around putting in my lenses when the call comes in at 2AM. I have been considering corective surgery. Maybe someday.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by ninja:
            I got the lense kit for my Scott mask. I find that the way the lense is seated in the mask it pushes the mask off my face slightly preventing a tight seal.
            There are people that say that it makes little difference weather you have glasses or not since you cannot see in a fire anyway. Well I have to disagree.

And don't forget about non-fire incidents that require the use of SCBA.
            IACOJ Agitator
            Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Comment

now we got MSAs and my partner(for interior team) we both wear glasses we leave them in the truck or give them to a officer. plus i think my dept to cheap to but a lens kit for me and him. cause that means i can only use that mask.

Comment

My department dosen't issue us our own facepeice, so inserts were out of the question. I ordered rubber military gas mask frames and had my eye doctor order perscription OSHA safety lenses and had them put in. I just strap them on before I put my mask on an I haven't had any problems with them yet.
                Mike Pyle
                http://www.uniontownfirefighters.4t.com

Comment

Where did you order the military gas mask frames and how much were they?

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by frankgrfd:
                    Where did you order the military gas mask frames and how much were they?

Hey Brother....I have a pair I'll give you....post your email and I'll contact you and I'll make arrangements to get them to you. I no longer need them. Laser Surgery Rules.

Comment

frankgrfd, I got the frames from US Cavalry. The frames cost about $25 and the lenses I got from Wal-Mart they cost about $25-$30. It was well worth it. I had my fire chief and HAZ-MAT chief both approve them before I used them. They look goofy but, it dosen't matter since I can see!
                      Mike Pyle
                      http://www.uniontownfirefighters.4t.com

Comment

OSHA says:

(g)(1)(ii) If an employee wears corrective glasses or goggles or other personal protective equipment, the employer shall ensure that such equipment is worn in a manner that does not interfere with the seal of the facepiece to the face of the user.

http://www.osha-slc.gov/SLTC/respiratory_advisor/oshafiles/otherdocs.html

This puts the burden on the employer to provide the appropriate equipment.

Further comment from OSHA:

Q: Can employees wear glasses while wearing a respirator?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A: Yes, but if an employee wears corrective glasses or goggles or other personal protective equipment, the employer must ensure that such equipment is worn in a manner that does not interfere with the seal of the facepiece to the face of the user. Kits are available from all respirator manufacturers that allow the mounting of prescription lenses inside the respirator.

Contact lenses can be worn with any type of respirator, but their use is not recommended in dusty atmospheres while wearing a half-mask facepiece.

http://www.osha-slc.gov/SLTC/respiratory_advisor/oshafiles/faq.html

NIOSH says:

Eye Glasses
                        Ordinary eye glasses should not be used with full-facepiece respirators. Eye glasses with temple bars or straps that pass between the sealing surface of a full-facepiece and the worker’s face will prevent a good seal, and should not be used. Special corrective lenses can be mounted inside a full-facepiece respirator and are available from all manufacturers of full-facepiece respirators. To ensure good vision, comfort, and proper sealing of the facepiece, these corrective lenses should be mounted by an individual designated by the manufacturer as qualified to install accessory items.

Eye glasses or goggles may interfere with the half facepieces. When interference occurs, a full-facepiece with special corrective lenses should be provided and worn.

Contact Lenses

Several factors may restrict or even prohibit the use of contact lenses while wearing any type of respiratory device. This is especially true of atmosphere-supplying respirators. With full-facepieces, incoming air directed toward the eye can cause discomfort from dirt, lint or other debris lodging between the contact lens and the pupil.

OSHA is considering a change in their respiratory standard, with regard to use of contact lenses under respirators. Data generated by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory is being taken into consideration.

http://www.osha-slc.gov/SLTC/respiratory_advisor/oshafiles/resp_5.html
                        The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

Comment

Maplewood - I guess that it must be the state OSHA in NY that says that everyone be issued a mask - I got into the lense kit because I take part in the Combat Challenge and I have to be able to see. All the FD's in my area issue them.
                          Stephen J Bourassa
                          Latham FD (NY)
                          member since 1969
                          challenge competitor since 1993

Comment

One of the guys back home is really nearsighted so he has a set of big ol' aviator frames in his mask (probably taped inside the clear part.) The larger frames and lenses make for a bigger FOV and the lack of ear pieces eliminates the issue of the seal. I'm going to have to find out since my glasses come around the 20th.

Althea Forhan
                            Left eye 20/30 (Me squinting)
                            Althea Forhan
                            FDNY 343:"Forever your power and strength stays with me"

Comment

there's only one dept in the county (that i know of) where each person has there own mask. That's a full time dept. If we had more money we'd probably each have our own mask but until then it's okay to share.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X