Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad had been doing it for about 30 years. I have been in for about 3 years now. My brother was also a memeber for a few years but he got married and moved away In my company we have several families involved in it. Firefighting is something that gets into a family and stays in it.

Comment

My mom's uncle was fire chief of Keyport, NJ fire dept. and I remember spending time there as a kid. When he retired, he gave me his helmet, and said he wanted me to have it in case I ever became a fireman. When I was 17, I joined Colonial Manor Fire Assoc., in West Deptford, NJ. I'm still there 12 years later.

The helmet, an old New Yorker, still hangs over my bed, and I'm sure Uncle Floyd knows and is watching over me...

Please pray for Jim Heenan, the brother injured in West Deptford at a dwelling fire New Years morning...

Comment

First in the line, but hopefully not the last...

Comment

Both of my grandfathers were firemen, My dad is a fire captain/Emt, my brother is Firefighter/Emt and I am a Firefighter Emt, Myself and my brother are going to medic school together, It starts in about a week!

------------------
          STAY SAFE ALL OF MY BROTHERS.

Comment

You can say it is a family thing
            My dad is a 25 yr vet who is now my assn cheif and I am the newest interior ff in the dept. but have served for 3 yrs now
            2197 going strong
            stay safe and have fun fighting the monster
            2197 aka Fire Fighter Bradley Henderson
            Skyland Fire & Rescue

Comment

when my grandmother was pregnat with my father she needed a blood transfusion. the man that gave her the blood was a firefighter. when my father was old enough to join the department he did so.thirty some years have gone by and he's still volunteering.i joined 4 years ago also as a volunteer,now not only am i his daughter, but also a coworker. i was hired in december as the newest paid firefighter in our department.
              my department also has a couple father /son teams and also a husband/ wife team!

Comment

First gen here. Dad is a potato chip exec. Mama was a reporter, drug me around to big fires. The first biggun I remember was when she worked for the Aanderson Independant as the Greenwood, SC reporter. I think the fire was Beshears Tire Store. Thing burned for days. ANYHOOOO, back to the topic. I would love for my son to become a firefighter for my F.D. HOWEVER, we have this stupid nepotism policy that won't allow this. Such a waste, a lot of my F/F brothers & sisters kids would make fine additions to carry on the tradition. But due to a rule without logic, they can't do that.

------------------
                GOD is my Fire Chief, JESUS is my Incident Commander!

Comment

Third generation F/F here. My grandfather started this tradition in the 1950's and my father and mother were both career volunteers for over 25 years each. I started when I was 16 as a junior F/F and now at 38 I am a Fire Division Major, Instructor and EMT-B and going to school for EMT-I. My wife has 5 years in and is a F/F and 1st. Responder. My oldest son is a F/F and both my younger sons are in the cadet program at our station. As you can see we are up to 4 generations and growing. Firefighting is definitly a family affair here. My god bless us all and everyone return to quarters 10-4.
                  Pround member of Meadow Lake Vol. Fire Dept.

Comment

My Grand father was a District Chief in Boston's Roxbury section, joining the dept. in 1902, retiring in 1945.
                    Six of his nine sons also joined the dept. after WWII, serving in all sections of Boston. the last retiring in 1982.
                    My father worked the South End and Roxbury as a Tiller man on Ladder's 13 & 30, retiring with a broken back in the 70's.
                    In the 70's when I tried to follow the family traditon to Boston I was excluded due to quota's.
                    But I was fortunate to be hired in a suburb south of the city.
                    Now twenty-one years later I'm a Captain and shift commander.
                    My two sons are talking about becoming firefighters when they grow up.
                    I was never pushed to the job, but growing up with it I saw the joy, satisfaction, and heart ache it carries with it.
                    Ladder 13's house lost five of the nine firefighters at the Vendome, and a year later my dads best friend, was killed at fire in Roxbury on Fathers day, leaving a family of six young children.
                    There's nothing that carries you so high or low in the world, the bottom line is it is a very satisfying and noble profession.

Comment

My grandfather was a firefighter back in the 40's. My dad, my brother, and I are all firefighters.
                      Both my old and current departments have several families in them. Some of those extended families have close to a dozen members in the dept.

Comment

Second generation firefighter here. Dad was a member for 10 years having served as high as Assistant Chief. His older brother is currently my captain. I also have two brothers on the department as well. Another brother will be joining in about 2 1/2 years.

------------------
                        JMK271
                        ***Stay safe out there***
                        ***These opinion(s) are my own, and not that of the department in which I serve***

Comment

Hopefully we have started a new family tradition. My husband joined as a volunteer and I was immediately bitten by the bug, 2 months later I joined the dept. also. A year later my brother and brother-in-law joined their local vol. dept. We have boys ages 2 & 4 and the fire hall is their favorite place to visit.

Comment

In small communities you will find more family members on a fire dept. My one uncle has 30+, my other uncle has over 25 years, both cousins have 18 to 20 years apiece. I have 12 years total. Always remember no matter where you in big city or small town a group of firefighters related or not are all FAMILY.

Comment

My father has been a volunteer for seventeen years. I have been a volley for five years and a career ff/emt for one and a half years. Not much else.

Comment

I am envious of all the responses from multply generation firefighting families, since ours is 1st generation. But thats not to say we are not involved as a family. My older brother first joined a volunteer dept. in the early '80s. Then after a short break he and I both joined the Renner Volunteer Fire and Rescue Dept. in the early '90s, where he is currently the chief and I am the dept secretary. After several years of my involvment, my wife to got the bug and joined the dept as an EMT. Although my involvement for the last 8 years has been in firfighting and vehicle extracation, I to have recently completed an EMT course.
                                My brother is also a paid firefighter/EMT/hazmat tech for the nearby Sioux Falls Fire and Rescue, and has 2 sons, 11 and 7. My wife, also a CPR Instructor, and I have a 1 y/o son and a 6 y/o daughter. They are all firehouse brats. My daughter has great interest in EMS already, she loves to whatch CPR training videos, and could proply teach others the technigue, and talks of one day being an EMT. Even at my sons young age with little exposer to the service, his favorite toys are the firetrucks. My brothers children both declare they will be firefighters.
                                So all I can do is wait, and we to will hopefully be amongest the ranks of those with multiple generations involved.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X