This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your thoughts...

I read this article in Newsday about a WTC widow running for her husbands seat as Fire Commissioner. I'm just curious to see how others feel about the photo -- I think it looks like a sympathy thing.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lidean062498823dec06.story?coll=ny%2Dlinews%2Dhead lines
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

I always applaud women getting involved in Emergency Services and in the Fire Service in particular (I am female and an EMT and Firefighter in NJ). However, the guy who asked her if she would bring the same issues to the table as her deceased husband would have, is right on track. This lady has no fire experience and therefore would not be the best representative for the fire service in her area. I think these types of jobs are best left to those have the experience to do them. She should step down and maybe start a fundraising campaign (just and idea - don't jump on me), or do something else with her time to honor her husband..but running for Fire Commissioner? I don't think so.
    Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Comment

She should not be running for office on her husband's name. I can't imagine she would get hired with her current resume which includes no firefighting experience. Hiring somebody because of their name is bad politics. She would end up being a puppet to whoever could influence her. You need experience to make the kind of decisions that would be expected in that position. If she feels so strongly about having a positive influence, I'm sure she can find another avenue.

Comment

No experience in the fire service... Sounds like most other "Fire Commision" board members I've seen. Politics is politics is politics... and her "current resume's" lack of experience won't mean a lick in the end.

And how about that picture!!! Hubby's helmet (probably with some WTC dust still on it) and all! Wow! I bet she wins in a landslide, bad idea or "bad politics" be damned...

FB
        Fire service survival tips:
        1) Cook at 350...
        2) Pump at 150...
        3) When in doubt, isolate and deny entry...
        4) When in trouble, claim lack of adult supervision.

Comment

If I had to guess, she's been hearing all the crap he has been trying to change or do with no results because of the politics involved. I wouldn't be suprised if she is hell bent on making the changes she knew he wanted to. Let's face it, she's not doing it for the money or prestige.

Comment

I agree E229, I also think maybe she is running strictly to defeat that O'Neill guy. Read what he's saying, he was originally running unchallenged, opposed the purchase of the new truck her husband was going to vote for, not to mention HE is the one making the big deal out of it. Seems to me she's running so he doesn't get back on the commission?

He sounds to me like an old dinosaur, the type we roll our eyes over when he starts spouting about how things were 40 years ago, blah blah blah.

It's going to be an interesting fight!!!! May the best woman.....ooooooops I mean person win.

Pardon my edit, had to correct spelling mistakes!!!! lol

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: LadyCapn ]

IACOJ

Comment

Good for her!.. In my experience an ex Chief isn't always the best guy on a commission for a couple of reasons. I have seen Chiefs who were voted out by the membership turn to the Board as a means of continuing to further their own agenda, paralyzing any initiatives the new Chief may have. She may need some education on how the department works, but it sounds like she has a business background, which is really what is needed on some of these boards. If we carried some of the logic posted here a little further, would we have a school board made up of teachers? A city council full of ex cons? (couldn't resist)

Comment

And remember, it worked for Jean Carnahan...
                It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Comment

Just to setthe record straight. She is not running for any paid position. Anyone that lives in the fire district can run for commissioner. They don't have to know anything about the fire service. Most taxpayers don't even know about this election in most areas. Many times the only poeple that vote are members of the FD, family and friends. Since she has been urged to run by the chairman I would be suprised if she is not elected.
                  Stephen J Bourassa
                  Latham FD (NY)
                  member since 1969
                  challenge competitor since 1993

Comment

well dang it mongo you stole my thought.Hmmmmm as a matter of fact.Whatever happened to Jeanie anyway?she has been awful quiet lol.Good luck to the lady running.Politics can be a rough area.

Comment

Unfortunately, 'Newsday', the local paper here on Long Island, does not 'like' the volunteer fire service. They were in the process of putting together an expose on the Long Island Fire Depts this year, although I don't know if they will go through with it after 9/11. The bottom line is NEWSDAY is trying to make the FD, and the FD-centered candidate look bad in the eyes of the voters, which, if you read the article again, it does quite well. I'll keep ya posted...

Comment

I just think the whole picture with the flag and helmet is very tacky at a time like this. And, I think someone who runs for Commissioner should have some knowledge of the fire service other than being a spouse.
                        "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
                        -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X