Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What os the best way to warm up a chain saw?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What os the best way to warm up a chain saw?

What is the best way to warm up a chain saw prior to taking it to the roof for ventilation work, by running it at full throttle for 15 to 30 seconds, or by reving it up like a motor bike? (Personally I think it should be run at full thrittle. Just wondering what everyone else did.)
    It's just a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling.

Hey there

Before you think I am about to say something out of the blue I just want to say tha is there is some way that someone else has heard please let me know.

When I was in high School I tooka class on forestry where we learned many things to include chainsaws and other equipment. My personal idea onthis is to get the cainsaw started, giv the throttle one or two quick revs and then set it down still running at an idle. (Of course makng sure that the chain break is on) You can let it idle while you get the ladders on the building and get the saw to the roof. by the time that you get the saw to the roof it will be warmed up and ready to roc and roll.

Take care
    Firedoc
    Keep your head below the smoke but in the game.
    ----------------------
    The opinions expressed here are my own and not that of my fire department EMS Squad, or my employers.

Comment

I'm with FireDoc, If you know you are going to need it, then by starting it early and letting it idle for a bit while the crew is getting ready would be the best idea. Cold start to full out isn't good for any engine.

Comment

We stick them under the exaust in the dead of winter. Really seems to warm them up. They run fine.
        Always remember those who have went before us.

Comment

Firedoc is exactely right with his method. A full throttle rev with a cold engine is asking for serious trouble.

Jim Crawford
          Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire
          James K. Crawford
          Assistant Fire Chief
          Midway Fire Rescue
          Pawleys Island, SC

Comment

Having worked for the forest service, we use saws lots. I have always had great luck with husky no matter where we are in the US. I have had some problems with others.

Always make sure you have your saw in tune, so as you get on the gas it does not cut out,
            Let it idel for a few give a few short burst of gas, then after a few get on it for like 10 seconds, the saws should be started at least once a week.

I have seen some depts just use saws as they come. always change the air fliter to a heavy duty one, get away from the paper ones. And with the saw tools keep extra sting, along with extra nuts and a scrench to keep those bolts tite.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I've tried different things, but here lately I've been happiest with Bull's Eye barbecue sauce, cayenne pepper, and a dash of tabasco.
              “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
              ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I do the same as FireDocCJC. I crank it every shift though. I want to hear/see it work at the start of my shift. Same goes with checking out all the equip (every compartment). See the equipment, make sure it works, & keep it clean & running. Hopefully it will still work when you need it to.
                Some call it "nit-picking" or "over doing it". I say, spending an hour or so checking out the truck & all its equipment every shift is my job.
                Saffell
                1 Corinthians 1:18
                For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Comment

another one we do in the winter since the truck running in the winter is put them in the cab with heat on.(unless your like us with one of our pumper thats a horse and steamer )

Comment

so when you gonna start selling that secrect sauce EastKYFF. I think i want some for a burger not for a saw hahahha

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X