This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FDNY women needing recognition?

Here's my first attempt at starting a discussion on this forum. I'm not good at being skinned in public - so I guess I might as well learn.

Over the past few days I've seen stories on Firehouse.com, and on the evening news about women in FDNY feeling the need for recognition for their service at WTC and with the fire department in general (okay, it may be more than JUST that, but I think it sums it up in a nutshell.)

I ask...Why grab the spotlight now? I never saw the WTC tragedy as being a male/female issue. Its not news that there are a handful of females on FDNY - and their physical ability test is tough as hell. So...what was the point of this string of stories? Why now?

I applaud ANYONE....male or female, that makes it onto FDNY. And I'm kind of disappointed that the male/female issue was brought up at a time where I thought unity among firefighters was (or should be) stronger than ever. What the hell happened, and why the hell did this gender issue get brought up at a time like this?

Ok...open season on Krista begins

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: bgfdchick ]

We're all in this together. FDNY 9-11-01

well....well....

I tend to agree with you.. But..firefighters are in the lime light now and this was just another story that was bound to surface. Yes..it is no secret that FDNY test is hard and it is no secret that only a couple dozen females are on the department.

No matter who is being recognized...it keeps the fire department on the front burner and that is what we need. More support and more $$$.

What I DO NOT support is the glory hounds that look for news coverage because they were at ground 0 for one day...that is pure...."BS" Every firefighter in FDNY has been busting their **S there since way before 9/11 and this tragedy brought out the pulitzer hounds. I have no problem with them discussing women on FDNY. I am sure they are all fine firefighters and deserve it. But all of them do. So...lets do a story on every firefighter in FDNY and then across the nation. Profile us all!

I have no beef with women on the job. My girlfriend is a firefighter/paramedic and a damn good one and she can do the job... So lets put that issue to rest. I am proud of her and all my brothers and sisters across the nation.

United we stand.....
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

I agree with you. Why now? I don't want to be taken as a female hater but I sit and shake my head with every story I read. You are not reading stories about firefighters wanting to be recognized for being at WTC and being male. You see brothers busting it to find thier own. This is not and should not be a male vs female issue. I respect all FDNY brothers and sisters. I also have a deep respect for all brothers and sisters across this great nation that are firefighters. What I would like to know is this. If FDNY (or whoever it was, I can't remember now) is going to provide a pre-test training course to beef up the females for the test, are they providing the same opprotunity for the male counter parts? There are not special courses for black or latino firefighter hopefulls (that I know of). Just a few comments from an average Joe.

*Mark
      FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Comment

This is nothing more than the 'strike while the iron is hot' response. As long as there are media whores willing to provide a forum, we can reasonably expect to hear from every group that perceives themselves to be underrepresented in the FDNY.

Comment

Krista...excellent 1st post for discussion!

I agree with you and everyone here on this thread..it seems that a few individuals have been attempting to turn the spotlight onto them in a "what about me" story. This not just female firefighers, it is firefighters who percieve to be slighted because of race, religion and politics. They bring up things that happened 20 years ago like it happened 20 seconds ago.

It looks like these firefighters are looking for sympathy...and I can tell them where to find it...It's in the dictionary between $#!t and syphillis.

Male or female, firefighter, police or EMS, we are in this together, so let's cut the crap and get to work!!!
          ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
          Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by bgfdchick:
            I ask...Why grab the spotlight now? I never saw the WTC tragedy as being a male/female issue. Its not news that there are a handful of females on FDNY - and their physical ability test is tough as hell. So...what was the point of this string of stories?

Chick: Excellent question, you make some valid observations.

[quote]Originally posted by oldE6man:
            As long as there are media whores willing to provide a forum, we can reasonably expect to hear from every group that perceives themselves to be underrepresented in the FDNY.

OldE6man: Excellent answer, I think you nailed it.

[quote]Originally posted by captstanm1:
            No matter who is being recognized...it keeps the fire department on the front burner and that is what we need. More support and more $$$.

...My girlfriend is a firefighter/paramedic and a damn good one and she can do the job... So lets put that issue to rest.

captstan: Item #1: No, it's about one group, in this case women, trying to further their agenda and increase their representation on the job "by any means necessary."
            and Item #2: You keep telling us this about once a week. Who are you trying to convince?
            "Go ugly early."

Comment

I think you can blame the media for making this an issue.
              "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
              -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Comment

I have to agree wtih Diane, most likely someone made some comment and the media has run with this one. Face it, like or not FDNY is hot news right now, and anything the media can do to sell papers they are going to do!!!

A group of women approaching the media about not being treated fairly? I doubt it, most likely some comment as made and some reporter thought that this would make great copy PLUS keep the FDNY stuff to the forefront.

Besides, how often have each of us participated in a story, made a comment or given an interview only to read the article and say.....HUHHH???????? Were we even in the same room????????????
                This article could have started out as "how the women of FDNY are coping etc" and this is how the reporter squewed it after a couple of comments were made.

Just goes to reinforce what they teach you about speaking to the media.
                IACOJ

Comment

Why should it be "How the women of FDNY are coping" and not "How the FDNY is coping"?

*Mark
                  FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Comment

bgfdchick

Why grab the spotlight now?

Because it's there to be grabbed.

captstanm1

well....well....

You said it...

firefighters are in the lime light now and this was just another story that was bound to surface.

ANY firefighter with ANY dignity would have run from this story precisely because of what bgfdchick said "I never saw the WTC tragedy as being a male/female issue."

No matter who is being recognized...it keeps the fire department on the front burner and that is what we need.

Not really, this kinda digs at the department. The underlying theme is they discriminate against women.

mark440

There are not special courses for black or latino firefighter hopefulls (that I know of).

There are departments in the metroplex that don't have special courses per say for black or hispanics. But the locations they hold prep classes are always in the predominantly black and hispanic neighborhoods.

oldE6man

we can reasonably expect to hear from every group that perceives themselves to be underrepresented in the FDNY.

Yep, and you know what? 5'11" 215# male Texans are unbderrepresented in departments across the nation, even in Texas! I demand my special recognition!

Captain Gonzo

They bring up things that happened 20 years ago like it happened 20 seconds ago.

YESSIR!!!

SquadHog

No, it's about one group, in this case women, trying to further their agenda and increase their representation on the job "by any means necessary."

AMEN!

Diane

I think you can blame the media for making this an issue.

They helped, but they couldn't have done it without the help of some FDNY chicks.

LadyCapn

A group of women approaching the media about not being treated fairly? I doubt it,...

You doubt that a group of people would cry to the media about being treated unfairly when they think they are?

Hell, there's a whole line up of daytime talk shows for women that think they've been slighted.

This article could have started out as "how the women of FDNY are coping etc" and this is how the reporter squewed it after a couple of comments were made.

If it started out as "how the women of FDNY are coping etc" it shouldn't have. Do women in the fire service have less coping skills than their male counterparts?

Are they anymore traumatized by what happened?

mark440

Why should it be "How the women of FDNY are coping" and not "How the FDNY is coping"?

Because that would leave the women out...

I bet senator hitlary was behind this whole deal
                    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Comment

To be blunt...As long as they keep saying "Oh whoa is me why don't I get recognized as a FEMALE firefighter" they will continue to have difficulty being accepted by the majority. FDNY lost many members. It doesn't matter what sex they were. It saddens me that these women would use a tragedy to further a political agenda. I think that it is disrespectful. There are many more brothers (no female firefighter fatalities at WTC) that need to be laid to rest. They should focus their energy on that task instead of gabbing to the press.

Just my two cents.
                      Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Comment

It frustrates me that the newsmedia would curcify themselves by doing such a petty story - which is why I posted this forum in the first place.

When the evening national news did the story - yeah I stopped what I was doing, because in my head I was saying "you have to be [email protected]%!ng kidding?!" And to be honest, I got NOTHING out that string of news.

Women like that **** me off. I like being in my department because the guys treat me like a firefighter (although when they belch and pass gas around me, I wish they would remember I AM A GIRL! )

FEMALE firefighting isn't a badge to wear over your heart, on your sleeve, and it doesn't give you bragging right.

However, Firefighting is, and does!
                        We're all in this together. FDNY 9-11-01

Comment

This Berkman woman is a lawyer who sued FDNY back in the early 1980's to obtain a job thru the Federal courts. She couldn't pass the test so she stole a position for herself and 39 other losers. She has never been one of us, and has just proven that she never will be.

I just hope God has mercy on her soul. What she has done is the worst kind of sinfulness.

Comment

ouch.
                            try it you'll like it

Comment

[quote]. She couldn't pass the test so she stole a position for herself and 39 other losers

Hmmmmmmm, care to explain that one? That wouldn't happen to be the number of females on the Department would it?

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: LadyCapn ]

IACOJ

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...