Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bin Laden "Times Man of the Year"?!?!?!?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bin Laden "Times Man of the Year"?!?!?!?

I was recently disturbed to find out that Time magazine is actually considering making him MOY for 2001. If you would like to read the story go to Snopes.com, and click on rumors of war. It is an Urban legends page that investigates rumors to determine if they are true or false. What do you think of this?

I may be mistaken, but didn't this same publication name Adolph Hitler "Man of the Year" back in the 30's? Maybe they are following a tradition of naming folks whose parents should have never met.
    Cincinnati F.D. History Site
    Society for the Preservation & Appreciation of Antique Fire Apparatus in America
    Youngstown Fire Forums - 40,000+ photos of Apparatus, Fire Scenes, etc.

Comment

By defenition, a "Man of the Year" is the person who Time feels had the greatest impact on the world in the past year. I'd kill him without blinking- but can you think of a single individual who changed the world such as bin Laden has?

Comment

Do think that would hurt sales because people would be disgusted?

OR

Do you think that would help sales (or keep the same) because people would be curious?
        IACOJ Agitator
        Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Comment

Maybe I wouldn't be quite as offended if TIME renamed the 'honor'. I agree that bin Laden was responsible for the most news this year, but 'Man of the Year' has a positive connotation to me.

Maybe 'Most Likely to end up in a Pile of Camel Dung?

Comment

It's simply media trying to sell a magazine. Any controversy ... good or bad ... is big for them. They say that in the media, there's no such thing as bad publicity. They could care less what the right thing to do is ... the right thing to them is the almight $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Stay Safe

Comment

I heard a report that they've never had a deceased person and "we" have until 12/31 to get the &@*#&*@($^.

It's an insult to the American people if TIME goes ahead with it. I hope it sits on the shelves.
              "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
              -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Comment

I say give it to the MUTT and when he comes to accept the award......

Unless he shows up to accept the "award" I say don't give him anything except a lead injection to the mellon!
                *Mark
                FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Comment

Time's "Man Of The Year" has always gone to the person who has had the greatest impact on news events. Good or bad. Ayatollah Khomeinie (sp) was awarded that distinction in 1980 for the revolt in Iran and the US hostage crisis.

Sadly I expect to see bin Laden get the nod next year. But like a previous post said... we have 30 days to make his candidacy invalid.

Comment

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: Trkco1 ]

FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Comment

how about that vote for Rudy! bin laden did change the world, but not for the better. Even though personal opinion varied before 9-11, in the face of terror and chaos, the city, it's employees and hell, most of the country, rallied around him. talk about having a tough job and yet working through the tradgedy . . . as was said once before, ". . . he's the mayor of America . . .".
                      May God bless all the people and families who have lost
                      their lives on 9-11-01, to those also lost on Flight 587, and to the rescuers who responded to both.

"I'm not saying it's right, i'm just saying (the way it is)."

FDNY-EMS - Still New York's Best!

e-mail always accepted @
                      [email protected]

Comment

What about President Bush... Who else in modern history has been the lead in getting so many diverse cultures together to reach a common goal...

Comment

Has a group ever received it before? If so then my vote's for FDNY.

Comment

How about all the American People?
                            "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
                            -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Comment

Or Larry..........

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse