This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferrara Fire Trucks

Can anyone tell me about Ferrara Fire Trucks. Good,or bad, all info greatly appreciated.

Stay safe and God Bless America and those who protect it.

We don't have Ferrara, but some Dept.'s do and have complained about them. the complaints generally center around customer service. I have heard of them getting the specs, saying that they can do it at the low bid price, and then the finished truck has non spec stuff. Again, this is not from personal experience, so take that in consideration. I have had the experience of ordering gear from them, and they did not send the order to the manufacturer. I will never buy gear from them again.

This is just my opinion, not my Dept's.
    Craig Walker

Union Strong...Union Proud

An Irishman is the only person in the world who would walk over 12 naked women to get to a bottle of Stout.

Comment

I talked to Ferrara personally a few years ago at FDIC/Indy I really liked the fact that it is a small company and that you could actually get the owner on the phone. We buy a major brand truck, and we've bought about 15 of them., and we have have problems with warranties and service. Some of that is probably our fault. But they have several layers of BS that you have to crawl through before you can get things done. One of our greatest coups was to get the 1-800 number to the mfg! I have finally come to believe that you have to have a personal relationship with the builder. I work in Florida, so I would lean towards an E-one, not that an E-one is any better (or worse) than anyone else, but the factory knows that within about an hour and a half I can be coming over the ceo's desk in Ocala. That seems to be the fastest way to cut through all of the crap. Good luck, by the way will ANYONE ever build a better fire truck than the old Mack CF600 series?

Comment

Fierra builds a decent truck, but its like all of them-too many electronics-- not enough redundancy built into them---I agree about about the Macks

Comment

Well will put it this way, we bought one for up here. The city sold it for a loss after having it a few years. No company wanted it.

Comment

We currently have 9 FFA's on the road
            Not too much trouble....minor stuff
            ie: windows won't roll up, body coming loose (door skins), turntable bushing in waterway, etc...
            If you have good mechanics in your shop, they could fix most of the problems in house.
            We had a heavy rescue nearly totaled in a M.V.C. (Pierce) rehabed by Ferrara (a sin)!!!
            They did a half-as$ job.

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: gfdtrk4 ]

FTM-PTB
            trk4

Comment

Had a ex-salesman tell me once he used to sell for them and not to consider them at all. The biggest problem was getting them to stand behind there work. We have never had one nor has anyone in the area.
              Firefighter/CCEMT-P
              May we ride into the darkness only to return as safe as we started!!

Comment

We have 2 engines and a truck to be delivered by the end of the month. They are doing the pre paint inspection this week. Only had minor troubles but get them with everyone.
                Stephen J Bourassa
                Latham FD (NY)
                member since 1969
                challenge competitor since 1993

Comment

Our department has 4 FFA's (3 engines, 1 quint). The engine at my station was the last of the four to be put in service. The first day our shift had it, a rear wheel came off. The driver from another station with a FFA called to welcome us to the Ferrara club and said the guy we need to talk to about repairs is named Rick.

Comment

I dont know why yall have had those problems but we have 1 heavy rescue, 1 ariel ladder truck and 2 pumpers and we havent had any major prblems with them you ever think maybe yall dont kow how to take care of you equipment. Our town in about 15 min from FFA and they do excellent work trust me,I kow several of the people that actually bild the trucks and 911-wacker they ex-salesperson you talk to was probably just ****ed that he lost his job there he probably wasnt getting them enough business or they found someone better qualified. FFA only hire certified mechanics to build their apparatus. I just think you people dont know what a good truck is. Especially yall damn yankies yall are used to those big corporate builders and dont know was a good family-run business is all about. Thanks and have a nice day.
                    LADIES LOVE ME.
                    FLAMES FEAR ME.

"I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THIS FLAG, IF THAT BOTHERS YOU WELL THATS TOO BAD!" AARON TIPPIN

If you wish to burn our flag please remember to wrap yourself in it first!!!

ALL SOUTHERNERS ARE EXEMPT FROM ANY AND ALL OF MY YANKEE COMMENTS ON ANY AND ALL FORUMS.

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!!!

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by firefightermatt_69:
                      I dont know why yall have had those problems but we have 1 heavy rescue, 1 ariel ladder truck and 2 pumpers and we havent had any major prblems with them you ever think maybe yall dont kow how to take care of you equipment. Our town in about 15 min from FFA and they do excellent work trust me,I kow several of the people that actually bild the trucks and 911-wacker they ex-salesperson you talk to was probably just ****ed that he lost his job there he probably wasnt getting them enough business or they found someone better qualified. FFA only hire certified mechanics to build their apparatus. I just think you people dont know what a good truck is. Especially yall damn yankies yall are used to those big corporate builders and dont know was a good family-run business is all about. Thanks and have a nice day.

Don't be a fool, stay in school!
                      Living the dream...

Comment

Ridden on a Ferrara Ladder Truck for a few years. It's had a bunch of problems, mainly minor but a few serious ones.

One major problem was with the ladder craddle. We've been through a couple already. I believe the problem was that the craddle had developed some major cracks.

A second major problem is the entire electrical system. On any given day, winding up the Q just might kill the batteries. Or certain things like Emergency lights don't work.

We've found that the alternator belt becomes loose and needs to be tightened frequently.

The windows to the rear crew cab never really seem to work right...in the heat of summer they won't come down and in torrential downpours won't come up.

Door latch mechanisms have broke and been replaced numerous times.

Other than this no real problems with it. This particular truck was built very early on when Ferrara started building ladder trucks so they might have worked some of this stuff out.

Oh and BLACKSHEEP...nobody has ever or will ever build a better fire truck that the Mack CF600...still lucky enough to run one
                        Move fast or move aside...

Comment

First of all, god bless any macks left out there, keep them as long as possible. i wish we never gave ours up.

secondly,i have ridden on a FFA since 96, and we have had several problems.
                          the major problem is the electrical system, switches, sensors, and computer programming are the majority of the issues.
                          the minor issues were the paint bubbling on us, and needing to repaint a majority of the areas TWICE.
                          another minor issue is that the window tracks seem to be designed to fail, seeing we have gone through 3 sets a door on the two rear doors
                          and our last issue was the transmission doesnt like to stay in gear when pumping, but suposedly that was fixed
                          Loo
                          Lieutenant / EMT- Paramedic
                          Protective Services Officer

Comment

No one has said whether the problems they have are with the body or the chassis. Is the chassis built by Ferrara or are they a Spartan, HME, etc. That's something you have to think of also. We've heard of several local companies having electrical problems with Spartans.

We got a new pumper last year and were considering Ferrara and New Lexington. We are a small company and were only buying 1 truck so the big guys, including our own PA company KME, wouldn't talk to us. We knew we wanted it on an HME chassis so the choice came down to the body work. We decided on the New Lexington since it was built here in PA and knew we could get service when we needed it.

It looks like we made a good choice since everyone seems to be complaining about Ferrara's service. If you're looking at Ferrara due to price limits there are other alternatives to save money. Our truck saved us close to $100k by not going with a big name builder.

Good luck.

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: dragon-fyre ]

Steve Dragon
                            FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
                            Volunteers are never "off duty".
                            http://www.bufd7.org

Comment

My station just received the fourth FFA in our fleet (see GAH74 reply). All of our FFA's have had some form of problem. The remainder of our fleet is Pierce. The difference I have seen between the two is service. Ferrara has been quick to attempt to fix all problems I'm aware of. Granted we are relatively close to La. When the wheel fell of the first day they reportedly had a man there the same day. The biggest repetitive problem I know of is throwing alternator belts. Ours has not yet. Our fist FFA died while pumping at it's first fire and would not restart. It was reported to be electrical.
                              Overall I like our new engine and it seems to be well built. It has some very nice features and a very large cab. It also has some annoying features, non-cancelling turn signal w/ annoying reminder buzzer after 1 min.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X