Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My department has a five ton 6X6 we recieved through military surplus exchange from state lands dept. The truck went through a rebuilding depot and even though it was made in 1958 it was brand new truck again. The multifuel motor only had 230 hours on it. Mechanically it is very reliable. We put a 700 gallon tank on it and simple boxes for tool storage and a roll cage. It drives nice and shifts better than a 1988 International 2 1/2 ton 4X4 we also use. Off road it performs great in the lose sandy soil. It has retrieved other brush trucks we operate at some point or another. The noise in the cab is excessive. Earplugs or headsets are a good idea. We also operate a Ford F-550 crew cab 4X4 with a fiberglass utility body and 300 gallon tank. It is fast and comfortable to ride in. Both trucks are reliable and easy to use. I don't thin you could go wrong either way.

Comment

We run a 76 chevy with a saulsbury utility body, 250gpm hale and 200 gallons of water and an 86 chevy diesel (army truck) with a 400gpm waterous and 200 gallons of water. I have seen BOTH DEEP in the woods, they are great trucks
      There are three truths in life:

1. Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
      2. Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
      3. Two Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.

Comment

My Department runs a 1998 Dodge Ram 3500. It has a body that consists of compatments on both sides. The back has a 200 gallon water tank 10 gallon class A foam tank, a 500 gpm pimp run by a honda gas engine and an inline foam proportioner system. In the bottom rear compartments on both sides are 500' forestry reels. We also have a 1 3/4" preconnect and a booster reel. The truck works great for mostof our fires because they are usually field fires with good access. If you're response area is wooded or hard to reach the truck would be a little wide and heavy. The truck was built by LSI which is located outside of Winchester, Va.
        If you want more info please email me.

Comment

We run a 1994 F-350 standard cab pickup. We have a hale skid unit with 300 gallons of water coupled with a 250gpm 18hp pump. it has a gasoline engine coupled with a manual transmision.
          The engine is a fuel injected stock 460 and has more power than it really needs. I do not see the need for a deisel engine for an off road vehicle. the Truck runs slightly wider than stock mud grips, which will help give the truck more floatation in loose fields and mud. The biggest thing about a brush truck is knowing your limitations and the limitations of the truck. A man that has never drove in 4wd will get stuck very easily. If the primary purpose of this truck is to drive in the woods I would not spend more than 30,000 dollars (brand new), we only spent 22,000 on ours brand new.

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: fireeater650 ]

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X