X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nbrown9333
    replied
    Stihl MS 460 Rescue chain saw

This saw was mentioned in the thread. We use one and it works great! It replaced our old cutters edge chainsaw which worked great to, but the Stihl service center is next door to us. Just make sure you use it with the Rapid duro rescue chain or "RDR" (costs about $175). As for Chainsaw vs K12, I prefer a chainsaw for many reasons. One of which is that a chainsaw is light enough that you can keep your weight supported with your legs, but a K12 will cause you to bend over because of the weight and short reach of the blade.

If your having to remove shingles before you cut a hole, your chainsaw has the wrong chain on it. Buy the right chain (Bullet, Raptor, or Stihl RDR) and you firefighters will spend very little time on the roof!

Leave a comment:

• nnjfmba
    replied
    Chainsaws are used for cutting tree limbs that fall on cars and similar situations. On my shift you will carry the K-12 to the roof, and if you can't take the weight you belong on an engine. Other shifts at my department have taken the chainsaw and sometimes it worked and sometimes they had problems. Try cutting through 2-3 layers of shingles with a chain and see how far you get.

In addition you don't need to worry about what the depth gauge is set on or if the chainsaw even has one. A k-12 will not allow too deep of a cut if you miss a rafter and don't pull up on the saw. The blade cover allows only about 4 inches of cutting, and for all the people who don't understand how you stop the blade, you bury it in the roof.

Leave a comment:

• bneice
    replied
    K-12

In my opinion I prefer the K-12 to the chainsaw. I'm a former mason and hodd carrier and we'd use'm all the time to cut anything in front of us. They are heavy but..... they can take a beating. Chainsaws are a one trick pony and require a ton of maintenance so for smaller departments it's more bang for the buck to purchase one K-12 with some cut all blades.

Leave a comment:

• WD6956
    replied
    http://www.cuttersedge.com/Products/...8/Default.aspx

Leave a comment:

• don120
    replied
    Originally posted by volfireman034 View Post
    what is the best blade for the chain saws that won't clog up or dull fast?
    Bullit chain.....$$$$$$$$

Don

Leave a comment:

• Dave1983
    replied
    Originally posted by volfireman034 View Post

You use a blade on your chain-saw? No wonder it clogs.

Leave a comment:

• volfireman034
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Northeast68
    replied
    Originally posted by ajpettis3 View Post

P.S.- For the comment made about there is no way to stop the blade on a K-12, I do not agree with. When you are cutting, all you need to do is take your finger off of the throttle and bury your blade.

Perhaps bury it in your leg...

I think his point is that there is no mechanical safety device to stop the blade, and I have to agree that the chainsaw is faster and safer.

I imagine most of you have seen the video of the roof being vented with a sledge faster than with an axe. (For all you "traditionalists").

Also hoping that the previous 2 posters realize this thread is older than some of the nut bags that frequent these here forums.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1983
    replied
    All of our rigs carry both, but the chain-saw is by far the most utilized.

Leave a comment:

• ajpettis3
    replied
    There are some good points made through this about both the K-12 and the chainsaw. My dept. has 1 chainsaw and 7 K-12 saws. All the K-12's are set up for different things. Some for wood, some for steel, and some for concrete. It all depends what you train with. Some prefer the chainsaw because of the weight difference, but i prefer the K-12. It has always been reliable and gotten the job done. Use what you are more comfortable with and train with it.

P.S.- For the comment made about there is no way to stop the blade on a K-12, I do not agree with. When you are cutting, all you need to do is take your finger off of the throttle and bury your blade.

Leave a comment:

• Weruj1
    replied
    thanks Buff !

we are looking at these :http://www.stihllibrary.com/flash/MS460R/main.swf

Leave a comment:

• FWDbuff
    replied
    In honor of the 10th anniversary of fh.com............

Leave a comment:

• MB1213635
    Guest replied
    Personally, I'm taking a circular saw...Partner K-650 or K-950 to be exact. They might be heavier than a chainsaw but with some practice I can get through a roof quicker. I have also found that chainsaws bog down more often then circular saws. Whichever saw I take my axe is still going with me.

Leave a comment:

• E1114
    Guest replied
    I prefer a chainsaw over the K 12 on pitched roofs for ease of use. Unfortunately a chainsaw is not much use if the roof covering is not removed. All to often we get in a hurry and cut through the shingles which gums up and dulls the blade. Then the K 12 makes it to the roof to finish the job.

Leave a comment:

• airpack
    Guest replied
    Chiansaws with a carbide chain are by far the best choice for pitched roof. Chainsaws with a normal chain are virtually useless after you make contact with shingles. But if you like to swing things (safely of course) try a 10lb. shorter than normal handle sledge. It often will work better than an axe. What we did is bought a regular sledge, cut the handle to comfy working length, spiral wrapped coax cable around the handle with athletic tape,and wala you have an inexpensive very useful vent tool.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X